Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mismatch Roof & Rear Windshield (Service center fault)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short... I took my car into the service center to replace my front windshield and they accidentally also replaced my roof glass also. Why? Not sure if I will ever find out... they told me they replaced it by accident. Perhaps mistake for a wrong car or they damaged it. They happened to accidentally tell me when i called for status update.. but told me after they didn't replace the roof. I got home and tested the roof with water and the glass roof turned red.

My roof now glows red... I had to bring it back and was told they will try their best to locate a matching glass roof to match the rear bluish glass.

I was searching and had some conflicting information if the follow below is true:

Reddish color glass: Both UV and infrared (heat) protection

Bluish glass: Only UV protection

If this is true, would it be better to keep the reddish glass roof for the infrared(heat) protection instead of having them match the bluish glass rear windshield on the roof?

I know Tesla switch manufacture for their glass and went back... but what surprise me is that Tesla would skip on the infrared protection.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The orange chromatic glass is thought to have better UVA/UVB and IR protection... that Tesla in an effort to pinch pennies later did away with this glass for simpler coatings. General consensus across these forums is the orange/reddish glass is way cooler looking too. My Nov 2018
Model 3 has the colored top deck, but the rear glass is not. :(

The orange chromatic glass is thought to have better UVA/UVB and IR protection... that Tesla in an effort to pinch pennies later did away with this glass for simpler coatings. General consensus across these forums is the orange/reddish glass is way cooler looking too. My Nov 2018
Model 3 has the colored top deck, but the rear glass is not. :(

My April 2019 build has the same config - chromatic top, clear rear. I doubt it was a cost maneuver, but maybe a logistics thing (ie ramp up a second supplier if the first couldn’t deliver enough?)

I stopped long ago trying to apply logic to logistics. :)