Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my Model 3 totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish the footage was still there for my accident. My drive had some event recorder fail and it rebooted as the car shut off during impact. Have footage before the accident and after the accident. Drive is at the IT department for investigation

Oh man. Sorry. Where there any injuries? My <2 year old was in his rear facing car seat at the time, but was fine. I have had neck and back issues...

My car did not shut off/down, and was drivable. I kept driving for the 30 days we waited for the truck lid to come in. It was at the shop for 5 days once all parts were in.

Tesla needs to figure out the repairability of their vehicles... rear ended at low speeds and no airbags deployed shouldn't be that easy a totaled vehicle. no wonder insurance premiums keep climbing
When rear quarters are damaged on a unibody vehicle, it always costs a lot of money, no matter what the vehicle, given those typically are part of the body and will require welding to replace. And as others mentioned, in EVs, additionally HV safety has to be observed during repair.

So far I have not seen indication Tesla's repair costs are really that out of line with other premium vehicles. Repair costs are just simply higher now in general than in the past.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Oh man. Sorry. Where there any injuries? My <2 year old was in his rear facing car seat at the time, but was fine. I have had neck and back issues...

My car did not shut off/down, and was drivable. I kept driving for the 30 days we waited for the truck lid to come in. It was at the shop for 5 days once all parts were in.
I have neck, back and a fear that I will be rear ended again that I don’t want to drive anymore. It’s scary!

When rear quarters are damaged on a unibody vehicle, it always costs a lot of money, no matter what the vehicle, given those typically are part of the body and will require welding to replace. And as others mentioned, in EVs, additionally HV safety has to be observed during repair.

So far I have not seen indication Tesla's repair costs are really that out of line with other premium vehicles. Repair costs are just simply higher now in general than in the past.
This is my first accident since I started driving at 17! I hope it’s not totaled as this is my first Tesla Model 3!

I have neck, back and a fear that I will be rear ended again that I don’t want to drive anymore. It’s scary!

I had never been in an accident until last September of '22. I got rear ended (similar situation, 2 miles before that video I posted) in my BMW. Then in May '23 rear ended with the TM3. Both times, the other driver just wasn't paying attention.

I have PT 2x a week, have had several back procedures and neck procedures (herniated discs in neck and back which caused nerve pain). Getting old sucks. My <2 year old was in the car for both. The first one he cried only when I yelled out from back pain at the time of impact. The second one, the impact was worse, he cried on impact, but was fine both times.

The good thing about if yours is totaled is, you can now upgrade!

Honestly, if my 3 was as bad as yours, I would be hoping it is totaled. I'm not sure I would want that one back...

Neck and back pain is no joke, be careful with pain meds... The fear will go away with time. Just look at it like this, I've been driving since I was 9 (grew up overseas), I'm 44 now, it took until I was 43 (34 years) to get into an accident. Other than the fact I have been in 2 in one year, the chances of getting into an accident are really really low. Just get back on the horse...

I'm just glad my son is ok, that's all I cared about...

I had never been in an accident until last September of '22. I got rear ended (similar situation, 2 miles before that video I posted) in my BMW. Then in May '23 rear ended with the TM3. Both times, the other driver just wasn't paying attention.

I have PT 2x a week, have had several back procedures and neck procedures (herniated discs in neck and back which caused nerve pain). Getting old sucks. My <2 year old was in the car for both. The first one he cried only when I yelled out from back pain at the time of impact. The second one, the impact was worse, he cried on impact, but was fine both times.

The good thing about if yours is totaled is, you can now upgrade!

Honestly, if my 3 was as bad as yours, I would be hoping it is totaled. I'm not sure I would want that one back...

Neck and back pain is no joke, be careful with pain meds... The fear will go away with time. Just look at it like this, I've been driving since I was 9 (grew up overseas), I'm 44 now, it took until I was 43 (34 years) to get into an accident. Other than the fact I have been in 2 in one year, the chances of getting into an accident are really really low. Just get back on the horse...

I'm just glad my son is ok, that's all I cared about...
Wow! Glad you’re okay! Im just not looking forward to a replacement that’s vision only. 2019 was the prime time of all the fun and cool stuff about the model 3. 2020 was the phase out of certain stuff

Last edited:
Exactly! I am so sad and hurt that I want to break down and cry over this situation the at fault party put me in
It’s totaled! 35K in damages! HV battery was damaged again! Now to get invoices sent over to adjuster for the HV battery, wheels and tires, autopilot, yoke wheel, matrix headlights. The long journey begins! Sigh!

Attachments

• IMG_3971.jpeg
    IMG_3971.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3972.jpeg
    IMG_3972.jpeg
    370.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3988.jpeg
    IMG_3988.jpeg
    459.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3987.jpeg
    IMG_3987.jpeg
    488.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3976.jpeg
    IMG_3976.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3983.jpeg
    IMG_3983.jpeg
    930.1 KB · Views: 51
It’s totaled! 35K in damages! HV battery was damaged again! Now to get invoices sent over to adjuster for the HV battery, wheels and tires, autopilot, yoke wheel, matrix headlights. The long journey begins! Sigh!

Sorry for your loss... But now you get to find a new toy and start all the fun all over again. You also get to address any of the "if I was buying now, I would get X, Y, Z instead of what I have now." Even if the HV battery wasn't damaged, that damage from the outside looked very expensive. Also, with the drop in selling prices, without the drop in repair costs, there are going to be a lot more "it is totaled" outcomes. The repairable window gets smaller when you can buy a new for a lot less now.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Sorry for your loss... But now you get to find a new toy and start all the fun all over again. You also get to address any of the "if I was buying now, I would get X, Y, Z instead of what I have now." Even if the HV battery wasn't damaged, that damage from the outside looked very expensive. Also, with the drop in selling prices, without the drop in repair costs, there are going to be a lot more "it is totaled" outcomes. The repairable window gets smaller when you can buy a new for a lot less now.
Thanks! I agree with you! I bought the car at a great time, right as prices dropped for tesla.

Reactions: zoomer0056