Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my Model 3 totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 tesla model 3 Midrange with color roof glass (TK-Choppa) that was rear ended. How bad is the damage? Pyro fuse blew upon impact no airbags deployed. Interior looks un damaged. No other damage besides the rear. Collision center is looking like it’s totaled. I hope it’s not! I hired an attorney to represent me with my suffering and wasted time/money. It just had new wheels and a HV battery/Coolant system replaced last month!

Um. I had a old Datsun B210 that got hit from the rear, looked about as bad as your car, and it definitely wasn't totaled.

The Pyro fuse blowing probably means that the high voltage took a short, but the rear under the seats somewhere is where the pagoda lives.

A lot depends upon how badly the frame is bent.

At this point, it's between the adjuster and the body shop, though.

Reactions: Thinkingrug709
I'm betting that is totaled. It's going to be a LONG wait for parts (rental costs), that is a lot of damage...

My 3 was hit (see below), this was $12k+ worth of damage, and both quarter panels were not touched. I think if they were, it would have been totaled. It's mostly labor, but if you go to an authorized Tesla repair center, labor is high. Mine looks like it was never hit.

The trunk lid, decals, bumper, sub trunk, and rear crossmember were replaced and painted parts were paint matched. It took 30 days to get the truck lid, all other parts were at the body shop within 3 days of ordering.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DocHolliday
I'm betting that is totaled. It's going to be a LONG wait for parts (rental costs), that is a lot of damage...

My 3 was hit (see below), this was $12k+ worth of damage, and both quarter panels were not touched. I think if they were, it would have been totaled. It's mostly labor, but if you go to an authorized Tesla repair center, labor is high. Mine looks like it was never hit.

How did this accident happen?

How did this accident happen?

Lets go to tape. I was in FSDb at the time:

Rear Camera:
ZwuSvCJ.mp4

Front Camera:
oT2ybX8.mp4

Passenger Side Camera:
pRNmEqi.mp4

Lets go to tape. I was in FSDb at the time:

Rear Camera:
ZwuSvCJ.mp4

Front Camera:
oT2ybX8.mp4

Passenger Side Camera:
pRNmEqi.mp4
Dang! You, nor FSD is to blame. Jeeze Louise, it was stop and go traffic. The guy was not paying attention, was distracted by something. There's absolutely nothing you could've done to avoid this! I'm not looking forward to when this happens to me. This would not happen if the offender was in a Tesla.

Reactions: Thinkingrug709
Tesla needs to figure out the repairability of their vehicles... rear ended at low speeds and no airbags deployed shouldn't be that easy a totaled vehicle. no wonder insurance premiums keep climbing

For me, labor costs are high and I used one of the top shops in the area. They are a fully authorized Tesla body shop (on the list provided by the SC if you ask). They also are an authorized facility for my insurance company, so all I had to do was show up, the rental car was there for me, and payment was fully handled between the insurance and facility.

But even if the labor cost was 80% of what it was, it still would have been high. $3,500 in parts isn't really out of the world of parts for most luxury cars. The same accident might have cost MORE on an ICE, because there could have been gas tank or exhaust damage.

I'm not sure what would or could have been different even if the parts were cheaper. I would not have accepted aftermarket parts, regardless of it was Tesla or any other car I've owned. When someone else damages my vehicle, they are making it OEM, it was OEM before they decided to hit me...

For me, labor costs are high and I used one of the top shops in the area. They are a fully authorized Tesla body shop (on the list provided by the SC if you ask). They also are an authorized facility for my insurance company, so all I had to do was show up, the rental car was there for me, and payment was fully handled between the insurance and facility.

But even if the labor cost was 80% of what it was, it still would have been high. $3,500 in parts isn't really out of the world of parts for most luxury cars. The same accident might have cost MORE on an ICE, because there could have been gas tank or exhaust damage.

I'm not sure what would or could have been different even if the parts were cheaper. I would not have accepted aftermarket parts, regardless of it was Tesla or any other car I've owned. When someone else damages my vehicle, they are making it OEM, it was OEM before they decided to hit me...
can't have it both ways....

purchase price / value: Tesla 3 is cheaper than a Toyota ! Don't expect Mercedes / Lexus fit and finish ! it's an affordable vehicle !

repair costs: well - compared to other luxury cars they ain't that bad ....

hint: a $40k Model 3 isn't a luxury car and it's not fair to compare repair bills to something truly outrageous like Mercedes-Benz where EVs start well above $70k

can't have it both ways....

purchase price / value: Tesla 3 is cheaper than a Toyota ! Don't expect Mercedes / Lexus fit and finish ! it's an affordable vehicle !

repair costs: well - compared to other luxury cars they ain't that bad ....

hint: a $40k Model 3 isn't a luxury car and it's not fair to compare repair bills to something truly outrageous like Mercedes-Benz where EVs start well above $70k

The reason it is comparable to luxury cars is not because it is considered a luxury car, but because it uses high end light weight components. Panel gap/interior finish issues aside, the components (using AL and alloy body parts) and having sensors for everything are more comparable to Lexus vs Toyota.

Because Tesla lowers the initial sale price, doesn't change the cost of the components, and repair costs. It takes specially trained technicians to work on these vehicles, because of this, labor costs are 100% on par with MB/BWM/Audi. A lot of shops won't touch EV's because they just don't have the training and an oopsies can mean a dead/injured technician, or even a burned down shop... As with anything, the more training required to work on something, the more it costs to work on...