Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missed Sales at Tesla Dealers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Las Vegas for a car event, I drove two enthusiasts by the Tesla dealer. This was nothing planned. We were on the way to another place, I drove them by Tesla.

I had hopes of a test drive creating a sale. Two salesmen were standing around, but neither one could take my friends on a test drive - even a short jaunt around the block. One salesman walked off to check and returned to announce no test drive could be arranged. An appointment would be necessary and the earliest would be the next day. Very big turnoff - my two potential customers left disappointed,

This would never happen at a regular dealership. Two very wealthy people there wanting to drive a new $100,000 car - something would have happened. I fear Tesla misses many sales this way.

I suggest Tesla starts offering commissions on sales. I believe they missed a sale that day, or very possibly.

They also missed a sale last year by not doing a "dealer courtesy trade" that my BMW and Porsche dealer does. What's up with that?

I can sort of see buying an ICE spur of the moment, an EV no
I didn't know my wife had set up the test drive already. I thought we walked in and just got a test drive as a spur-of-the-moment kind of thing. I surprised her (and I think the sales rep) when we got back to the showroom and I said "Let's buy one." It was totally impulsive and out of character on my part, but one of the best decisions I've ever made.
I'm not really arguing a point, I guess. Just more of a story for a slow Saturday morning. :)

Well your expectations were wrong in the first place. Tesla does not have dealers. There are gallery/showrooms and service centers. As a tesla owner you should have been more aware of the tesla sales model.

The tesla showrooms are to educate people about cars, not to push sales. Most people like to get educated and learn about cars, which you can't do going to a traditional dealership and having a purchase shoved down your throat.

And when you're buying a $80k+ car, it helps if that decision wasn't spontaneous.

Walk-in test drives are not common due to the fact too many people have no intention of buying the car and just wanna go on a free joyride. Nevermind Las Vegas is probably FULL of tourists and casual walk-ins where everyone and their mom probably wants to test drive a tesla.

Reactions: Ciaopec
They also missed a sale last year by not doing a "dealer courtesy trade" that my BMW and Porsche dealer does. What's up with that?
“Dealer courtesy trades” are nothing but a sales tax avoidance scam. If someone didn’t buy a Tesla because Tesla doesn’t play that game, the potential buyer must not have really wanted the car. Tesla doesn’t need such customers.

On Model 3 Performance models only, from what i gathered.

There have been Glass Door job posts for Tesla sales people that mentioned a commission structure from before the Model 3. Electrek mentions the new 3 commissions are an "update" to the existing plan.

A source familiar with the matter told Electrek that as part of Tesla’s latest update to its commission plan, the automaker plans to start giving out $300 commission for each sale of new Model 3 Performance version

There have been Glass Door job posts for Tesla sales people that mentioned a commission structure from before the Model 3. Electrek mentions the new 3 commissions are an "update" to the existing plan.

A source familiar with the matter told Electrek that as part of Tesla’s latest update to its commission plan, the automaker plans to start giving out $300 commission for each sale of new Model 3 Performance version

Is it traditional commission like in a dealership though or bonuses for meeting quotas?

Well your expectations were wrong in the first place. Tesla does not have dealers. There are gallery/showrooms and service centers. As a tesla owner you should have been more aware of the tesla sales model.

The tesla showrooms are to educate people about cars, not to push sales. Most people like to get educated and learn about cars, which you can't do going to a traditional dealership and having a purchase shoved down your throat.

And when you're buying a $80k+ car, it helps if that decision wasn't spontaneous.

Walk-in test drives are not common due to the fact too many people have no intention of buying the car and just wanna go on a free joyride. Nevermind Las Vegas is probably FULL of tourists and casual walk-ins where everyone and their mom probably wants to test drive a tesla.

At the time of my purchase in 2015, I had no intentions of buying a Tesla until I felt the acceleration. My P85D purchase was the first time I purchased from a test drive. When I bought BMW's and Porsches in the past I knew what I wanted when I went into the dealership. The people with me were performance car people, like me. And, same as me, somebody required some coaxing to test drive a Tesla. I did not want a four door sedan. I think many enthusiasts driving new Corvettes and other hot cars still do not realize the acceleration of a Tesla. The sales floor was empty of customers - not one. I told the two sales people that I was a P85D L owner, and my friends were high performance enthusiasts - one in his 50s, with many expensive cars and multiple homes. Had I been a salesman, I would have at least given them a ride around the block - something. To turn them away sure gave them a bad taste for Tesla, I believe. They were happy to leave the place and I don't think either one is going to go out of his way to enter a Tesla showroom again.

PS: I know Tesla does not have franchise dealers.

Last edited:
Reactions: kavyboy