TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Missed Sales at Tesla Dealers

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by jerry505, Jul 27, 2018.

1. jerry505

jerry505 Member

In Las Vegas for a car event, I drove two enthusiasts by the Tesla dealer. This was nothing planned. We were on the way to another place, I drove them by Tesla.

I had hopes of a test drive creating a sale. Two salesmen were standing around, but neither one could take my friends on a test drive - even a short jaunt around the block. One salesman walked off to check and returned to announce no test drive could be arranged. An appointment would be necessary and the earliest would be the next day. Very big turnoff - my two potential customers left disappointed,

This would never happen at a regular dealership. Two very wealthy people there wanting to drive a new $100,000 car - something would have happened. I fear Tesla misses many sales this way.

I suggest Tesla starts offering commissions on sales. I believe they missed a sale that day, or very possibly.

They also missed a sale last year by not doing a "dealer courtesy trade" that my BMW and Porsche dealer does. What's up with that?

2. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

• Informative x 1
  3. SSedan

SSedan Member

Walk in test drives encourages time wasted on joy rides.
    If someone really is ready to make the switch to electric they are going to be willing to schedule a test drive.

4. Ormond

Ormond Member

"Museum Curators"! Hah!

I suggest a huge purple inflatable Space X rocket and a giant American flag That will move some units!

• Funny x 1
  5. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

I think you have to be spinning things pretty hard to turn pissed-off potential buyers walking away in a huff into a positive thing.

• Like x 2
  6. Ormond

Ormond Member

Folks aren't accustomed to making an appointment for a test drive. Some people need to be converted to electric.

7. SSedan

SSedan Member

If someone can not be bothered to schedule a drive how are they going to feel about having to schedule an electrician, wait 30minutes for charging on road trips etc.

I can sort of see buying an ICE spur of the moment, an EV no

• Funny x 1
  8. Ormond

Ormond Member

You may not buy one on the spur of the moment, but it might convince you that electric is a viable option worthy of consideration.

9. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

I didn't know my wife had set up the test drive already. I thought we walked in and just got a test drive as a spur-of-the-moment kind of thing. I surprised her (and I think the sales rep) when we got back to the showroom and I said "Let's buy one." It was totally impulsive and out of character on my part, but one of the best decisions I've ever made.
    I'm not really arguing a point, I guess. Just more of a story for a slow Saturday morning. :)

10. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Well your expectations were wrong in the first place. Tesla does not have dealers. There are gallery/showrooms and service centers. As a tesla owner you should have been more aware of the tesla sales model.

The tesla showrooms are to educate people about cars, not to push sales. Most people like to get educated and learn about cars, which you can't do going to a traditional dealership and having a purchase shoved down your throat.

And when you're buying a $80k+ car, it helps if that decision wasn't spontaneous.

Walk-in test drives are not common due to the fact too many people have no intention of buying the car and just wanna go on a free joyride. Nevermind Las Vegas is probably FULL of tourists and casual walk-ins where everyone and their mom probably wants to test drive a tesla.

• Like x 1
  11. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Tesla already does commissions on sales. I believe there was an Electrek article mentioning it recently.

12. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

The commissions are very low and all sales staff are supposed to sell 4 cars a week, every week! LOL

When I heard that I understand why there is such a heavy turn over at the Portland store.

• Informative x 1
  13. P3D+

P3D+ Member

Now you realize the reason you passed 3 empty Chevy Bolt dealerships with instant test drives to reach a Tesla gallery. There are good reasons for the demand.

14. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Tesla has a lot going on right now. Once things settle down, there will be walk-in test drives and more inventory cars available.

• Informative x 1
  15. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

Things better not settle down, with the Y and a possible truck and the semi it's only going to get worse.....in a good way (I hope)

• Like x 1
  16. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

On Model 3 Performance models only, from what i gathered.

17. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

“Dealer courtesy trades” are nothing but a sales tax avoidance scam. If someone didn’t buy a Tesla because Tesla doesn’t play that game, the potential buyer must not have really wanted the car. Tesla doesn’t need such customers.

• Like x 3
  18. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

There have been Glass Door job posts for Tesla sales people that mentioned a commission structure from before the Model 3. Electrek mentions the new 3 commissions are an "update" to the existing plan.

A source familiar with the matter told Electrek that as part of Tesla’s latest update to its commission plan, the automaker plans to start giving out $300 commission for each sale of new Model 3 Performance version

19. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Is it traditional commission like in a dealership though or bonuses for meeting quotas?

20. jerry505

jerry505 Member

#20 jerry505, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    At the time of my purchase in 2015, I had no intentions of buying a Tesla until I felt the acceleration. My P85D purchase was the first time I purchased from a test drive. When I bought BMW's and Porsches in the past I knew what I wanted when I went into the dealership. The people with me were performance car people, like me. And, same as me, somebody required some coaxing to test drive a Tesla. I did not want a four door sedan. I think many enthusiasts driving new Corvettes and other hot cars still do not realize the acceleration of a Tesla. The sales floor was empty of customers - not one. I told the two sales people that I was a P85D L owner, and my friends were high performance enthusiasts - one in his 50s, with many expensive cars and multiple homes. Had I been a salesman, I would have at least given them a ride around the block - something. To turn them away sure gave them a bad taste for Tesla, I believe. They were happy to leave the place and I don't think either one is going to go out of his way to enter a Tesla showroom again.

PS: I know Tesla does not have franchise dealers.

• Like x 1