Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing bolts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone check your MY and let me know if this is normal? I found two holes under the body right behind the front tire wells, seems like holes for bolts (see pictures below). I'm wondering whether Tesla decided to remove them during development for cost/weight reduction, or missed putting them just for my car.

IMG_0340.jpg
IMG_0339.jpg

Hard to say in the photos, but is there some kind of product in the hole? Possibly extra structural adhesive or seam sealer that leaked out?

Can you tell of the holes are threaded? Or is it just a thin hole?
It's on the bottom of the body so I couldn't see directly with my eyes. Based on the picture I agree there seems to be some adhesive. Hard to tell about the thread. My guess is that Tesla decided during development that single bolt with adhesive was enough, so got rid of the additional bolt without removing the hole. Hopefully other owners can confirm if that's the case (whether all MY has these holes without bolts).

Got a confirmation from SC today.

"Compared to similar vehicle and found that there are no clips or bolts in that the section of the wheel arch liner"

Also talked to a guy at SC. According to him, it is normal for early models to have multiple holes that end up not being used.