Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing ECU/Charge Port Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know a lot of us are still waiting for vehicles to be delivered due to the missing ECU part so I decided to make a separate thread to discuss.

My M3P was manufactured on 4/19 with VIN assignment on 4/28. The vehicle has been sitting at the service center for 3 and half weeks. I visited the SC when the vehicle first arrived and went again yesterday to see the vehicle sitting in the same spot exposed to the elements (not parked under shade like the others). I've called multiple times and each time been told a different thing (waiting for firmware, they'll text you when it's ready, we are missing a part, someone from the SC will contact you but they never do).

This is my first Tesla and I'm honestly very discouraged at the lack of communication. I understood when I ordered the vehicle that the ETA will change throughout the months and I was okay with that - never did I bug Tesla because I understand a lot of factors going into the order and building of the vehicle.

My issue now is I have a VIN assigned vehicle that was last charged on 4/19 sitting at a SC center exposed to the elements without any type of ETA for the missing part meanwhile Fremont is pushing out cars and has the parts in stock. It seems like they've forgotten about our cars and we are just waiting indefinitely for when Tesla decides to send them the parts. I'm actively making the payments on the vehicle, large down payment paid on the 4/28 and nothing to show for it.

I'm not sure what to do anymore.

2/12 order here sameish situation.

However, how are you making payments on a car you didn't take delivery of?

So basically I had a loan application with a local credit union with a low interest rate but the application would expire May 12, 2022. So my options were to fund the loan and receive a cashier's check for the vehicle before May 12 or let the application expire and reapply which would another credit hit and much higher interest rate as they've gone up. Unknowing that the vehicle I ordered would be delayed to a part - I went ahead and funded the loan after I received my VIN. So now I have an active loan with the bank and a cashier's check waiting to be turned in when I pick up the vehicle.

So basically I had a loan application with a local credit union with a low interest rate but the application would expire May 12, 2022. So my options were to fund the loan and receive a cashier's check for the vehicle before May 12 or let the application expire and reapply which would another credit hit and much higher interest rate as they've gone up. Unknowing that the vehicle I ordered would be delayed to a part - I went ahead and funded the loan after I received my VIN. So now I have an active loan with the bank and a cashier's check waiting to be turned in when I pick up the vehicle.
Geez well that sucks. If we would of received our car when the original quote we would have saved about 1%.

May even be worse by the time we take delivery.

Mine has been sitting at the SC since May 5th for the charge port ECU.

What’s worse is that I had this VIN assigned to me because I called and asked for available inventory cars that were ready for delivery asap (I originally had a RWD order but switched and paid extra for this LR VIN). I was assured this one was ready to go has no charge port issues and can take delivery once it arrives and passes inspection….just pay the delivery charge and it will be there May 5th. May 5th comes around, I have to call them to get an update…they said it failed inspection and is on hold for a charge port. Wow I was furious…the whole reason I had this delivered to FL from MA was because I was assured it didn’t have this issue. Was told to wait for a text once the part comes, no ETA and to be patient. That was two weeks ago with no update.

I called today and they said they might get parts for an install next week on Saturday…and to expect delivery mid week after that. We’ll see.

Reactions: rudythecar
I’d recommend to you guys NOT to check your Tesla App to see if your dates have changed as you wait for the ECU. I was in the same boat. My car was sitting at the dealership waiting on the ECU on April 26. I didn’t get to take delivery until May 9th. My EDD pushed back 1 day every freaking day. Tesla will CALL you, email you AND text you when they are ready to schedule your delivery. It is too easy to get sucked into constantly checking your app, believe me, I get it. Your part will come eventually and they’ll be in touch. They want your car off of their lot (just not as much as you do).

In the meantime, if you haven’t already, order all your add ons, upgrades and replacements parts and get your home charger installed so you are all set for delivery day. Stay busy and occupied, it helps to have a distraction while waiting for that firm delivery date.

Mine has been sitting at the SC since May 5th for the charge port ECU.

What’s worse is that I had this VIN assigned to me because I called and asked for available inventory cars that were ready for delivery asap (I originally had a RWD order but switched and paid extra for this LR VIN). I was assured this one was ready to go has no charge port issues and can take delivery once it arrives and passes inspection….just pay the delivery charge and it will be there May 5th. May 5th comes around, I have to call them to get an update…they said it failed inspection and is on hold for a charge port. Wow I was furious…the whole reason I had this delivered to FL from MA was because I was assured it didn’t have this issue. Was told to wait for a text once the part comes, no ETA and to be patient. That was two weeks ago with no update.

I called today and they said they might get parts for an install next week on Saturday…and to expect delivery mid week after that. We’ll see.
I feel your pain.....

In my opinion, Tesla should have told you about the missing Charge Port ECU before shipping the car from MA. Infact, if the vehicle wasn't even ready, they shouldn't have listed it as available inventory.

I called today to check on the status of the missing parts at the SC in Miami and they didn't give me any date. Just casually asked me to call back next week. I told the representative about my frustration during the entire buying & waiting process and he said that hopefully you shall forget everything once you get the delivery of the vehicle, as the vehicle is so nice!!

(moderator note)

While I am virtually 1000% sure that posting about this here wont do anything to change the dates, etc ( or to answer the OPs semi question "there is nothing you can do but wait), I stickied this thread so that anyone who wants to participate in the discussion can do so.

This sort of falls under "misery loves company" to me, but if it helps people to post about it, go for it.

I’d recommend to you guys NOT to check your Tesla App to see if your dates have changed as you wait for the ECU. I was in the same boat. My car was sitting at the dealership waiting on the ECU on April 26. I didn’t get to take delivery until May 9th. My EDD pushed back 1 day every freaking day. Tesla will CALL you, email you AND text you when they are ready to schedule your delivery. It is too easy to get sucked into constantly checking your app, believe me, I get it. Your part will come eventually and they’ll be in touch. They want your car off of their lot (just not as much as you do).

In the meantime, if you haven’t already, order all your add ons, upgrades and replacements parts and get your home charger installed so you are all set for delivery day. Stay busy and occupied, it helps to have a distraction while waiting for that firm delivery date.

That's exactly what my DD has been doing. It shows my delivery range is today and 4 days out. Tomorrow it will show 5/22-5/26, then 5/23-5/27 etc. This has been the pattern for the past week.

Reactions: rudythecar
(moderator note)

While I am virtually 1000% sure that posting about this here wont do anything to change the dates, etc ( or to answer the OPs semi question "there is nothing you can do but wait), I stickied this thread so that anyone who wants to participate in the discussion can do so.

This sort of falls under "misery loves company" to me, but if it helps people to post about it, go for it.
It truly falls under "misery loves company".

I guess all of us in Waiting Game Part II are more helpless than our buddies who are waiting for the VINs. They atleast have the consolation of order months & order dates to observe. We are the forgotten and abandoned Tesla customers....

• Funny
Reactions: theslimshadyist
Honestly I hope some of them fail and Tesla needs to drop 10k+ each to replace them.

Cost of doing poor business and not being transparent about the whole situation or helping people get into cars sooner.
Who knows that they take more than 2 months to replace the defective batteries, if any.

The situation is going to be even more terrible then...being without a car for 2 months while paying the bank and insurance too

Anyone else worried about possible damage to the battery? These vehicles are now 4+ weeks without any charging.
It's a charge port ECU shortage, not a charge port shortage. When I picked up my car last week (4/19 build and impacted by this) I was told that the missing part is what lets the car know that there is no charging cable attached, and is therefore safe to drive. An assistant manager told me that as the Tesla employees maneuver the cars around off trucks and into and out of service they have to override that safety feature via a menu option so the cars can be driven. Not certain if the missing ECU prevents the high voltage battery from being charged, but it sounds like it probably doesn't.

So I know a lot of us are still waiting for vehicles to be delivered due to the missing ECU part so I decided to make a separate thread to discuss.

My issue now is I have a VIN assigned vehicle that was last charged on 4/19 sitting at a SC center exposed to the elements without any type of ETA for the missing part meanwhile Fremont is pushing out cars and has the parts in stock.
My M3P was also built on 4/19, and I picked it up last Wednesday after it sat for 10-14 days awaiting the charge port ECU. I was told a few interesting things while I was waiting, one of which was that some dealers received more charge port ECUs than they needed, and some received none. The one that ended up being installed in my car was FedEx'd from another dealer, so I was told.

I chose to pay for this car with a cashier's check, and although I'll never know for sure, that may be why the people I dealt with seemed to have some hustle when it came to getting my car ready and out the door. Had I payed via ACH a day or two before the scheduled delivery, they would have already had my money and may have been less motivated to focus on getting my car fixed. Just a guess - who knows.

Anyway - hang in there! 👍🍕🍺

It's a charge port ECU shortage, not a charge port shortage. When I picked up my car last week (4/19 build and impacted by this) I was told that the missing part is what lets the car know that there is no charging cable attached, and is therefore safe to drive. An assistant manager told me that as the Tesla employees maneuver the cars around off trucks and into and out of service they have to override that safety feature via a menu option so the cars can be driven. Not certain if the missing ECU prevents the high voltage battery from being charged, but it sounds like it probably doesn't.

My M3P was also built on 4/19, and I picked it up last Wednesday after it sat for 10-14 days awaiting the charge port ECU. I was told a few interesting things while I was waiting, one of which was that some dealers received more charge port ECUs than they needed, and some received none. The one that ended up being installed in my car was FedEx'd from another dealer, so I was told.

I chose to pay for this car with a cashier's check, and although I'll never know for sure, that may be why the people I dealt with seemed to have some hustle when it came to getting my car ready and out the door. Had I payed via ACH a day or two before the scheduled delivery, they would have already had my money and may have been less motivated to focus on getting my car fixed. Just a guess - who knows.

Anyway - hang in there! 👍🍕🍺

They are not charging these vehicles. My vehicle has a big piece of tape over the charge port keeping it closed. The vehicle hasn't moved since first being delivered to the SC. It literally has spider webs growing all over the vehicle.