Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing features not really missed…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After owning my Model S for more than 6 months, there are a few things that I would have appreciated:
1. Cupholders that do not conflict with my armrest.
2. Height adjustable seat belt.
3. Windshield washers that wait until you close the door (with driver in the seat) before operating.
4. Better lighting in rear hatch when open.

After owning my Model S for more than 6 months, there are a few things that I would have appreciated:
1. Cupholders that do not conflict with my armrest.
2. Height adjustable seat belt.
3. Windshield washers that wait until you close the door (with driver in the seat) before operating.
4. Better lighting in rear hatch when open.

For 1. Why not go with the CCI console?
For 3. What do you mean? Do you turn on the windshield washer before the door is closed?
For 4. Why not upgrade to LED lighting?

I've always wanted this feature in a car, but now I definitely don't. I never knew how they worked because I never had a car with it before. However, I know for a fact that if you don't basically tailgate people driving in and out of NYC daily, you'll basically be pissing everyone else off and everyone will be going around you and cutting you off and like you said keep pushing you into the back of traffic. Even the big greyhound bus drivers will cut you off if you leave more than one or two car lengths! lol Good to know!!! Now I don't miss that feature I never had!

I've had ACC previously(infinity) and traveled 78 in Jersey daily. I _REALLY_ miss ACC for exactly the reason you stated.
Locking regular cruise in NY/NJ is asking for a beating. But ACC is awesome in this environment - you set it for a rally high top speed - like 85, and it keeps you in the same speed zones as everyone else when things slow down. Sure, some guy will get in front of you from time to time, but at the end of a 70 mile trip, whats a few car lengths?

I also think it is EXTREMELY important to have this feature on an electric car like ours as it can probably do a better job at maintaining the perfect speed/energy ratio than a human(Save for a few hardcore hyper milers out there) can. With standard cruise, I find my self fiddling with it every few seconds, or suddenly stomping on the accelerator/brake so I am not "that slow guy".

I see zero value with the current cruise control as is - it should have been ACC or none at all in this car. Can I trade the feature in please?

alot of those features are interesting, if a driver needs those "helpers" i dont think they should be driving in my opinion

Lane departure? you are either a terrible driver or way too tired, you should pull over either way.
Speed limit recognition, you should just pay attention :)
blind spot detection, you are supposed to shoulder check in your driving test, this should be removed from all cars
forward alert, again PAY ATTENTION, why are you trying to take a nap while driving? this sounds ridiculous!
auto high beams? wow, just like auto headlights, what exactly are people look at when driving? if you are looking out the front or through any window you will know immediately if it is dark and you need your lights on, why does the car have to do this for you?

oh well thanks for the comparo, i always had a feeling that the engine start/stop was annoying, now i know.

Hmm, not sure you can take the opinions and experiences of one person as gospel. I don't own a BMW, but blind spot detection and HUD are things I have used and found rather useful. Adaptive cruise is another thing I've found pretty great. It sucks in traffic, yes, but come in already: its adaptive CRUISE, not lazy traffic creeper.

Dismissing something like auto high beams because you only drive on well lit roads is pretty silly as well. Not everyone lives in well lit areas, and honestly, with the number of drivers that forget or don't care to turn their lights down when I pass, I wouldn't mind it being federally mandated.

My Corvette had a heads up display. I really liked it, but I rarely thought to look at it.

For the idiots who don't pay attention to what they are writing.
I was asking AC1K, but your answer will do.

Paraphrasing...
Lane departure? Speed limit recognition. blind spot detection. forward alert. auto high beams?
These are not features to make you a better driver. They are not features to replace the driver. They are features to (hopefully) generally improve safety on the roads for everyone -- regardless of the quality and attentiveness of the driver.

If you think humans are perfect such that aids like these have no value, then I'm glad you don't make policy decisions for automobile manufacturers.

I think it was the Nissan guy that spoke to this in his speech recently about safety being a primary challenge of the auto industry going forward.

Reactions: pjoseph
I see zero value with the current cruise control as is - it should have been ACC or none at all in this car. Can I trade the feature in please?

I see tremendous value in the current cruise control and wouldn't have bought the car without it. I do however almost never drive in heavy traffic as I don't work regular hours. Also I don't think we have quite the same tailgating culture over here...