Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing USB Ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reading about this and yes I fully understand your frustrations, but Tesla isnt the only company delivering cars without these items. Other companies are having problems too. They will install them when they come in. So as frustrating as it is, would you rather not have them deliver your car and wait, or take it without the ports and have them install later. It’s a parts shortage issue. At least for me id take it as is and get the parts later.

Now if they delivered it and didnt make it known that is not good PR. They should at least let people know they are missing the USB ports.
It’s not the fact that there no ports. It’s the total lack of communication

Do you have a link to see results?

Your USB Ports are here.
iu

Took delivery on Friday 11/12 and we too do not have USB-C's, or a working wireless charger.
What did Tesla say to you about the resolution of the problem? Did they give you a date when parts will be available for install at an SC? Did they tell you they were even going to fix it at all? Did you get anything in writing? I’m about to take delivery and I would really appreciate knowing what to expect. Thx for any info…

Reactions: eksigned
We know some are having the problem. Only a fraction of Tesla owners read these forums. A smaller subset will take the time to fill it out.

What's the point of this form?
That could be said for anything mentioned on the forums.

But I want To see if there may be a trend in VINs impacted. Even if it’s a minuscule sample size, the form certainly does no harm, not looking to draw difinitive conclusions from it.

It does seem that some people are completely unaware of the huge logistics crisis at the moment. Tesla, just like any other manufacturer, has suppliers all over the place and their production line depends on just in time delivery of parts for assembly. You’ll have noticed that Fremont does not have huge warehouses holding parts. They basically have trucks arriving with containers of parts all day, everyday and when that gets disrupted things go wobbly.

Now they could just shut down production until the crisis is over, but that would be bad for their bottom line. But yes they could get ahead of this and announce that there is a short delay in installation of parts and that service centers will finish the installation ASAP (and here’s some free supercharging for your trouble).

We know some are having the problem. Only a fraction of Tesla owners read these forums. A smaller subset will take the time to fill it out.

What's the point of this form?
Since VINs are kinda sequential we can see about when the problem started. It looks like VINs before 310xxx are ok and those after are hit or miss. Mine is 308xxx. When my car is delivered, I’ll add it, of course.

Reactions: carlos31820
Yes, I just took delivery of a 2022 Y on Wednesday, and the 2 front USB-C sockets in the front console compartment, are missing. There's just two empty holes. Probably no co-incidence that the wireless charger pads don't work either.
Really ticked off - the price you pay for a car like this and basic equipment has not been installed. So right now the only way to charge my phone is to run a cable from the USB-C sockets in the back, or lock it in the glovebox...
UPDATE: actually, only the glove box USB has power; the two USB-C sockets in the back have no power either. It seems the whole central console USB power system is missing - now a known issue of parts unavailability. I would indeed have still taken delivery of the vehicle, given prior knowledge, but Tesla made no mention of it - that's the part that annoys me. Now booked for a service visit Dec 10. I'll be carrying the key card until then, in case my phone dies...