Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing USB Ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I just took delivery of a 2022 Y on Wednesday, and the 2 front USB-C sockets in the front console compartment, are missing. There's just two empty holes. Probably no co-incidence that the wireless charger pads don't work either.
Really ticked off - the price you pay for a car like this and basic equipment has not been installed. So right now the only way to charge my phone is to run a cable from the USB-C sockets in the back, or lock it in the glovebox...
My MYLR delivered on 11/23 had all USB ports.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Went to Tesla service center today for rear USB ports not being aligned. Asked the tech if they got the USB hubs for the front -- reluctantly says there is a backorder. I complained in a nice way and he mentioned he has a few USB hubs and had them installed now. I would say the best thing to do, for those that haven't gotten any ETA -- call Tesla service center and ask. It worked for me, hope it works for any others in the same boat.

Picked up my car on 12/2 at the Roswell center in Atlanta. The delivery person lied to my face that USB ports were installed when I asked them directly prior to signing the paperwork. Stupid me trusted the answer and didn’t check myself. Came home and guess what front USB ports are not installed and wireless charging is not working. Complained over chat and guy says, he didn’t lie just that I was misinformed!!!!!

Now I’m told to wait and that I will receive a text (from GOD?) when the USB ports are in. Not sure who sends the texts? Is it the factory? Someone at the service center?

Appreciate any help / advice.

If I were having less funds - “due to Covid reasons” - would Tesla give me the car with insufficient payment? I promise I would pay the balance when additional funds become available.

I’m pissed at the lack of service in customer service. While I am a stock holder and wish the company well but at the same time Musk is basking in the glory of unloading his billions in stocks while the fools like me cheer him on.

Picked up my car on 12/2 at the Roswell center in Atlanta. The delivery person lied to my face that USB ports were installed when I asked them directly prior to signing the paperwork. Stupid me trusted the answer and didn’t check myself. Came home and guess what front USB ports are not installed and wireless charging is not working. Complained over chat and guy says, he didn’t lie just that I was misinformed!!!!!

Now I’m told to wait and that I will receive a text (from GOD?) when the USB ports are in. Not sure who sends the texts? Is it the factory? Someone at the service center?

If I were having less funds - “due to Covid reasons” - would Tesla give me the car with insufficient payment? I promise I would pay the balance when additional funds become available.

I’m pissed at the lack of service in customer service. While I am a stock holder and wish the company well but at the same time Musk is basking in the glory of unloading his billions in stocks while the fools like me cheer him on.
If he didn’t know it just sloppy and not a lie. What would you have done if he said “yes, they are missing?” Refuse to accept the car?

same here with MYP at Roswell. The delivery person didn;t mention missing parts and I didn't check. Now I expect at least 6 month to retrofit my car with charging pad and USB ports.

If he didn’t know it just sloppy and not a lie. What would you have done if he said “yes, they are missing?” Refuse to accept the car?
I would have been more appreciative of the transparency and how to be treated with respect as someone shelling out $75K. I for one deliver high quality service to my customers and expect one as a customer myself. Mediocrity is not something I live by.

same here with MYP at Roswell. The delivery person didn;t mention missing parts and I didn't check. Now I expect at least 6 month to retrofit my car with charging pad and USB ports.
Where did you get the six month timeline expectation for fixing this?
I’ll be running up the BBB flagpole of it is indeed that long.

I came here to check if people are getting their missing USB hubs installed and if my car had been overlooked. Apparently, that's not the case.

I took delivery in Atlanta (Decatur) almost 3 weeks ago and I had a similar experience to others. The delivery team did not acknowledge that the ports/hub were missing until I brought it up. Then, all of a sudden, they knew all about it. "Sir, it's already been documented and the Service Center will reach out to schedule an appointment when the parts arrive." This behavior seems to indicate that they're being told not to be forthcoming about it unless the customer mentions it. Sad, but not uncommon in the auto industry.

I came here to check if people are getting their missing USB hubs installed and if my car had been overlooked. Apparently, that's not the case.

I took delivery in Atlanta (Decatur) almost 3 weeks ago and I had a similar experience to others. The delivery team did not acknowledge that the ports/hub were missing until I brought it up. Then, all of a sudden, they knew all about it. "Sir, it's already been documented and the Service Center will reach out to schedule an appointment when the parts arrive." This behavior seems to indicate that they're being told not to be forthcoming about it unless the customer mentions it. Sad, but not uncommon in the auto industry.
In my case I explicitly asked about it and the rep LIED that it’s installed. Arrived home and found it’s not there. Contacted the rep and was told oh that was just a miscommunication!! I think they are paranoid that if it’s disclosed in advance customers will refuse delivery. I’m complaining to the better business bureau and stop being strong armed. Enough is enough.

In my case I explicitly asked about it and the rep LIED that it’s installed. Arrived home and found it’s not there. Contacted the rep and was told oh that was just a miscommunication!! I think they are paranoid that if it’s disclosed in advance customers will refuse delivery. I’m complaining to the better business bureau and stop being strong armed. Enough is enough.
I can understand your frustration, specially when everything is connected to your cell, but I wouldn’t blame the employee as much as I blame the lack of parts and chips. I do see how he/she might have unwittingly raised your expectations. Tesla is not worried that it will lose money if you refuse delivery, the waitlist is almost 1 year now, someone’s out there waiting to pay 5k more for your spot/car. BMW and all other luxury car manufacturers are literally taking off heated seats and LCD panels or some like Ford, stalling production. Hope you can temporarily use a 12v fast charging car adapter to keep your devices charged. I think I would have also been as furious if I didn’t get my USBs but I would accept that it was a genuine mistake by an unprepared employee and not a lie to dupe me into buying a 75k car.

Last edited:
I picked up my MYP today, December 2021 build. All charging pads and USB ports deliver power, but the two USB-C ports in the front center console appear to lack data connectivity. The manual states both USB-C inside the console are data-capable ports.

Reactions: POCH
I was reading about this and yes I fully understand your frustrations, but Tesla isnt the only company delivering cars without these items. Other companies are having problems too. They will install them when they come in. So as frustrating as it is, would you rather not have them deliver your car and wait, or take it without the ports and have them install later. It’s a parts shortage issue. At least for me id take it as is and get the parts later.

Now if they delivered it and didnt make it known that is not good PR. They should at least let people know they are missing the USB ports.
Just saw a window sticker on a $90k Benz that offered a $200 credit for not having the USB chargers.

Definitely think that many other car companies are not getting the same PR like Tesla for having missing parts

Reactions: preilly44
Anyone else want to join a lawsuit on this? It’s consumer fraud 101. Promise something, collect money for it, don’t deliver, don’t tell customer or give them an option to change their mind.
At what point did you not have an option to change your mind? I also highly doubt the primary purpose of your purchase was USB-C ports in the vehicle. Sure it‘s frustrating, but they also allow consumers to put their orders on hold which is really unheard of too… They’re fixing them and it’s a global shortage so the chances of you getting anything are slim to none. Great thing about a free market economy is that if you’re that upset about it then you can buy a car elsewhere, like other manufactures that are telling you they’ll just credit you $150 for not having heated seats with no fix available and who cares if you live in freezing temps where it’s a valuable feature…or hey, we’re your touchscreen display is no longer available, sorry, you’re beat… No touch screen for you…

Reactions: cgell and WhiteWi
I
At what point did you not have an option to change your mind? I also highly doubt the primary purpose of your purchase was USB-C ports in the vehicle. Sure it‘s frustrating, but they also allow consumers to put their orders on hold which is really unheard of too… They’re fixing them and it’s a global shortage so the chances of you getting anything are slim to none. Great thing about a free market economy is that if you’re that upset about it then you can buy a car elsewhere, like other manufactures that are telling you they’ll just credit you $150 for not having heated seats with no fix available and who cares if you live in freezing temps where it’s a valuable feature…or hey, we’re your touchscreen display is no longer available, sorry, you’re beat… No touch screen for you…
agree with the sentiment. They’ve already agreed to install once available at no cost. I’m not sure other manufacturers are offering a credit AND agreeing to install the item at no cost at a later time.

Think about all those other cars being sold now with missing components at an already inflated price. In 2-4 years as they all hit the resale market the second buyers will be in for surprises

I picked up my MYP today, December 2021 build. All charging pads and USB ports deliver power, but the two USB-C ports in the front center console appear to lack data connectivity. The manual states both USB-C inside the console are data-capable ports.
Congrats. Wasn’t aware that the USB ports are data capable. How do you share the LTE connection as wifi or you can’t?

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi