Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MIT spinoff SolidEnergy doubles battery power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doubling battery power of consumer electronics

"With two-times the energy density, we can make a battery half the size, but that still lasts the same amount of time, as a lithium ion battery. Or we can make a battery the same size as a lithium ion battery, but now it will last twice as long,” says Hu, who co-invented the battery at MIT and is now CEO of SolidEnergy.

Hu says: “Industry standard is that electric vehicles need to go at least 200 miles on a single charge. We can make the battery half the size and half the weight, and it will travel the same distance, or we can make it the same size and same weight, and now it will go 400 miles on a single charge.”

I'll get excited when I can buy one. Also town times the energy density compared to what's? If compared to tesla cells that's impressive, if compared to run of the mill LFP or MnO not so impressive. Also what is power density and cycle life? What are the safety characteristics? Without knowing these things it's just another bs battery press release.

Right, they are targeting consumer electronics (drones and phones) first because market entry is much easier. Many people would want their phone charge to last twice as long. Looks like they're manufacturing the whole battery starting this November, so it'll be available now - not vaporware.

SolidEnergy simply doesn't know if their tech has sufficient long-term performance (charging cycles) and reliability to compete with existing lower-density EV battery tech. Reading older articles, their battery may lose 20% capacity after only 100 charge cycles.

Would be exciting indeed if it is long life, wide temperature operating band, high energy mass and volumetric density. They don't say anything about power density, but that's probably not an issue. I would guess Tesla knows about these folks since Tesla tracks about 70 battery companies. Would be fascinating to know which "major US auto company" participated in their latest financing round.

Would be exciting indeed if it is long life, wide temperature operating band, high energy mass and volumetric density. They don't say anything about power density, but that's probably not an issue. I would guess Tesla knows about these folks since Tesla tracks about 70 battery companies. Would be fascinating to know which "major US auto company" participated in their latest financing round.

It was GM Ventures.

They don't say anything about power density, but that's probably not an issue
"1200 Wh/L and 400 Wh/kg" right now with 800Wh/kg potentially. That and no cooling or heating requirement is their claim to fame. But what they don't seem to have right now is sufficient longevity for an EV application. I think they'll make millions in the cell phone market though.