Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger/ Port issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
I’m a noob so please forgive my lack of knowledge with the parts. I just joined this forum and this is my first post. Last month my 2017 model x had an error code saying it did not recognize my home charging cord. I was able to supercharge without problems, just not home charging. Tesla replaced the mobile charge unit and gave me a new charging cord for $3k (I was out of warranty by 2 months). I am now getting another error code saying my cord is not fully plugged in and has an orange port light. It does charge the car, albiet slowly and not efficiently according to the tesla notification I receive on my phone. Tesla service is trying to charge me again to now replace the charge port. Does this seem legit? Would this not be related to the previous work that they did?

Reactions: ATPMSD
Hello all,
I’m a noob so please forgive my lack of knowledge with the parts. I just joined this forum and this is my first post. Last month my 2017 model x had an error code saying it did not recognize my home charging cord. I was able to supercharge without problems, just not home charging. Tesla replaced the mobile charge unit and gave me a new charging cord for $3k (I was out of warranty by 2 months). I am now getting another error code saying my cord is not fully plugged in and has an orange port light. It does charge the car, albiet slowly and not efficiently according to the tesla notification I receive on my phone. Tesla service is trying to charge me again to now replace the charge port. Does this seem legit? Would this not be related to the previous work that they did?
$3,000 for what? You can buy a new mobile charger from Tesla.com for $275 or $400. Regarding your charge port, I would try to find another AC charge point and give it a try. Look on the charger map for destination chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
$3,000 for what? You can buy a new mobile charger from Tesla.com for $275 or $400. Regarding your charge port, I would try to find another AC charge point and give it a try. Look on the charger map for destination chargers.
Its a new onboard charger. My understanding was the internal charging system in the car. Supposidly the supercharging system is a separate internal system from the mobile charging system. So getting the new onboard charger cost $3k. Wouldnt that have included the charging port of the car?

Its a new onboard charger. My understanding was the internal charging system in the car. Supposidly the supercharging system is a separate internal system from the mobile charging system. So getting the new onboard charger cost $3k. Wouldnt that have included the charging port of the car?
Ah, ok. It sounded like they sold you a mobile charge adapter for 3k. Unfortunately the AC charger would not have included the charging port. It is a separate thing. Although I still suggest you try a different AC charger first. Do you have a local friend you could ask to try?

Ah, ok. It sounded like they sold you a mobile charge adapter for 3k. Unfortunately the AC charger would not have included the charging port. It is a separate thing. Although I still suggest you try a different AC charger first. Do you have a local friend you could ask to try?
Curious what is the purpose of trying another charger? Is it to see if it’s the cord or if it’s my outlet at home?

Curious what is the purpose of trying another charger? Is it to see if it’s the cord or if it’s my outlet at home?
I would suggest trying a destination charger at some nearby facility first. You can find them in the supercharger map at Tesla.com. Might be at a hotel or restaurant. If you are close to your Service Center, they very likely have many. Or If you know someone in your area with a Tesla, maybe you could try their Mobile Connector.

At this point, you are trying to determine if the problem is with the car, or external to the car, by not using any of your own equipment. If it charges ok, you'll know for sure the car itself does not have a problem. After that you can substitute other pieces to figure out where the problem is. It could be a defective mobile connecter (especially if it is new) or maybe a defective outlet at your house.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I would suggest trying a destination charger at some nearby facility first. You can find them in the supercharger map at Tesla.com. Might be at a hotel or restaurant. If you are close to your Service Center, they very likely have many. Or If you know someone in your area with a Tesla, maybe you could try their Mobile Connector.

At this point, you are trying to determine if the problem is with the car, or external to the car, by not using any of your own equipment. If it charges ok, you'll know for sure the car itself does not have a problem. After that you can substitute other pieces to figure out where the problem is. It could be a defective mobile connecter (especially if it is new) or maybe a defective outlet at your house.
Thank you so much for this!