Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should be fine! Just don't leave the "box" lying in a pool of water, but rain won't be a problem.

Also make sure that where it's plugged in to the socket is dry. The car side is no problem.

My vehicle charges outside. I wrap the UMC "box" with plastic and ensure there is no water path to it. Falling rain is okay as long as water does not breach the plastic wrapping. If the plug end of the UMC is connected to an extension cord that connection should be wrapped as well.

My vehicle charges outside. I wrap the UMC "box" with plastic and ensure there is no water path to it. Falling rain is okay as long as water does not breach the plastic wrapping. If the plug end of the UMC is connected to an extension cord that connection should be wrapped as well.

Could heat build-up be a problem? Mine charges in the garage, but I notice the box gets a little warm. Nothing to worry about, but I wonder if that heat could build up if it was wrapped up in plastic?

I have the mobile charger connected to a 110v inside my garage, the cable goes under the garage door and connects to the car outside. This works fine but I have a question.

When I drive away, can I leave the cable just hanging in a hook outside the home? Can that end of the charger (the one that connects to the car) get rained on? Do I have to dry it before connecting it back to the car?

When I drive away, can I leave the cable just hanging in a hook outside the home? Can that end of the charger (the one that connects to the car) get rained on? Do I have to dry it before connecting it back to the car?

I probably wouldn't, but I think it would be okay. There are stories of people mounting complete HPWCs outside (which, of course, includes the cable and the car connector).

The connectors are designed so that water is supposed to flow away from them, and EVSE equipment does not supply power to the vehicle until it is securely connected and successfully negotiates via the pilot signal. That said, water and electricity don't mix. I always shake the water off the coupling means (Tesla end) before I plug in.

Ok, thanks. So I will look for a place to hang it so the connector faces down (so gravity helps any water to drip out of it) and if there's still some drops on it, I will dry it a bit with a towel before connecting it.