TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mobile Connector

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by VWTalbert, Jul 1, 2013.

1. VWTalbert

VWTalbert New Member

Is the Mobile Connector weatherproof? I want to charge at my vacation house that doesn't have a garage, but I am worried that the weather (rain) may hurt the mobile connector. Anyone have any experience with outdoor charging?

2. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Should be fine! Just don't leave the "box" lying in a pool of water, but rain won't be a problem.

Also make sure that where it's plugged in to the socket is dry. The car side is no problem.

3. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

My vehicle charges outside. I wrap the UMC "box" with plastic and ensure there is no water path to it. Falling rain is okay as long as water does not breach the plastic wrapping. If the plug end of the UMC is connected to an extension cord that connection should be wrapped as well.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Could heat build-up be a problem? Mine charges in the garage, but I notice the box gets a little warm. Nothing to worry about, but I wonder if that heat could build up if it was wrapped up in plastic?

5. TommyT

TommyT Member

I have the mobile charger connected to a 110v inside my garage, the cable goes under the garage door and connects to the car outside. This works fine but I have a question.

When I drive away, can I leave the cable just hanging in a hook outside the home? Can that end of the charger (the one that connects to the car) get rained on? Do I have to dry it before connecting it back to the car?

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I probably wouldn't, but I think it would be okay. There are stories of people mounting complete HPWCs outside (which, of course, includes the cable and the car connector).

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The connectors are designed so that water is supposed to flow away from them, and EVSE equipment does not supply power to the vehicle until it is securely connected and successfully negotiates via the pilot signal. That said, water and electricity don't mix. I always shake the water off the coupling means (Tesla end) before I plug in.

8. TommyT

TommyT Member

Ok, thanks. So I will look for a place to hang it so the connector faces down (so gravity helps any water to drip out of it) and if there's still some drops on it, I will dry it a bit with a towel before connecting it.