TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Mobile Connectors for MY. Gen 1 vs Gen 2

Discussion in 'Model Y: Battery & Charging' started by rking0122, Aug 26, 2020.

1. rking0122

rking0122 Member

New MY. Came with Gen 2 mobile connector. (New, never used it) I have Gen 1 mobile connector also (which is what I gave been using). (Have the NEMA 14-50 adapters for each for use with a 50A outlet in my garage.)

I know Gen 1 will go up to 40A max charging on the 50A outlet. I know Gen 2 will go up to 32A max on the same outlet. I generally dial the amps back a bit anyway while using the Gen 1, so the difference in max amps isn't critical for me.

I've seen conflicting information on this, but are there any real upsides to the Gen 2 connector? Any safety features or new tech or anything else that make Gen 2 worth using over Gen 1? I am likely to sell one or the other, I simply don't need both, and maybe I'll use that cash to buy Homelink or something...

Kind of seems like Gen 1 is more costly on the resale market than Gen 2, which must mean people want the additional amps?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Well-Known Member

That is basically the exact trade off: amps for safety features.
    The Gen 2 adapters all have a temperature sensor in the plug end of them, so they can monitor if the plug/outlet is getting hot and can make the mobile connector send an error message to the car and have it stop charging and display an error message about what happened. The Gen 1 did not have that.
    I do too. I've been using my original Gen1 for over 6 and a half years, but I keep it turned down to 31 amps to keep it cooler, because they were pushing the capabilities of it with allowing 40 amps max, and it gets pretty warm there.

3. captanzuelo

captanzuelo Member

Wow, i hope I get 6 years of use out of my gen2!