Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 11000 EUR discount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am from Romania and I have reserved the model 3 in the first day as do many Romanians. We have a very good discount on electric vehicles (~11k) but because Tesla doesn't bother signing in to allowed manufacturers list so we can't get the discount. There is any other country having this problem? I know we're a small market but still what about "Accelerating the Transition to Sustainable Transportation for the Masses". It's like buy our cars but do it at your own risk, you won't get Supercharges, showroom or service center and no discount because you guys are too poor to buy cheap.

I am from Romania and I have reserved the model 3 in the first day as do many Romanians. We have a very good discount on electric vehicles (~11k) but because Tesla doesn't bother signing in to allowed manufacturers list so we can't get the discount. There is any other country having this problem? I know we're a small market but still what about "Accelerating the Transition to Sustainable Transportation for the Masses". It's like buy our cars but do it at your own risk, you won't get Supercharges, showroom or service center and no discount because you guys are too poor to buy cheap.
Is there a list of allowed manufacturers? I can't seem to find one.

It looks like supposedly they have until the end of the year to register for 2018. I think the goal would be for as many Romanians as possible to write to Tesla with instructions on how to register and show interest. I'm not sure if anything is currently holding Tesla back such as some local requirement etc.

Well I have emailed Tesla and got the response but that made me create the thread here:

" Since we are not present in Romania at the moment we are not engaged in conversations with the government about incentives. Perhaps this will change in the future but we haven’t shared any concrete plans to do so. Hopefully the incentives will apply for you when the Model 3 is there, and otherwise it will be an amazing car regardless. "

So it looks we're left behind for now.

Well I have emailed Tesla and got the response but that made me create the thread here:

" Since we are not present in Romania at the moment we are not engaged in conversations with the government about incentives. Perhaps this will change in the future but we haven’t shared any concrete plans to do so. Hopefully the incentives will apply for you when the Model 3 is there, and otherwise it will be an amazing car regardless. "

So it looks we're left behind for now.
I wonder if they fully realize they have to register for you to get those incentives, but perhaps since they don't have a store, they have to vested interest. However, 11k is a lot of money to potential buyers. Maybe tweet to Elon as well.

I am not sure if they realize but the discount applies to business and it's more like 11500 EUR. I don't know about any other country offering such discount. Tweeting to Elon is like buying tickets to the lottery.

All the others manufacturers are present and the discount is applied to their cars, but Tesla is not. The thing is from their response I think they have no plans for Romania at least the short term. Maybe things will change but I don't want to wait 2 years for a car and another 2 years for a showroom so I can get the discount. I think because we are a small market for them they don't put any money and time into this.
They don't have any superchargers yet and they were expected to be finished by the end of 2016.
I still hope that I'm wrong and when model3 arrives in Europe Tesla will be present here.

You may not have noticed, but Tesla is not like other manufacturers.

Get your facts straight, then perhaps there is something to do or complain about.
Stop guessing why Tesla is not eligible for the discount. Find out.

They are not there because they choose not to be.

Their response again:

Find out what the government requirements are to be included in the discount list. Tesla has told you that they are not doing the footwork since they do not not sell locally in Rumania. That does not necessarily imply that only Tesla can pursue eligibility.

Last edited:

“Local media Economica.net projects that up to 100,000 Romanians will take advantage of the higher rebates… However, the Romanian government is facing a similar challenge in promoting electric cars to one in the US. The lack of charging infrastructure has put a damper on buyers’ enthusiasm — and it’s far worse in the smaller country.

“A program to boost the number of charging stations was launched in 2011 with very little success. 5 years later, a mere 10 stations were up and running. Last year, the government launched a new program to support the installation of charging stations in certain public institutions. Its goal is to grow their network to at least 20,000 charging points by 2020.”

All the others manufacturers are present and the discount is applied to their cars, but Tesla is not. The thing is from their response I think they have no plans for Romania at least the short term.
I think your quesiton has been answered. Tesla will not be selling in Romania any time soon. I'm sure they will at some point in the future.

Things are slowly starting to move in the right direction in the romanian market. The infrastructure is getting built, there are more and more evs and phevs on the roads. There seems to be well above 1000 reservations for model 3 from romania. A small drop in the bucket, but nonetheless the interest is here. There are dozens on model s and model x on the street even if tesla is not yet officially in the market.
I was also hoping that they will apear on the 2017 list of authorised ev sellers. If they are not on that list, the incentive is not applicable. 10.500 € is serious money! It's in their benefit to register in this program. This incentive would apply also to model s and x!
How to apply for it??? For gods sake, i guess that they can make a few phone calls and do some searches...

In order to benefit from this program, the ev seller must enroll in this program. Tesla for the time being is not enrolled.
After Tesla registers, I will be the first one in line to change my model 3 reservation with a model s order ;)

Perhaps they are not entitled to enroll yet as they are - as of now - not officially selling the car in Romania. Just a guess. But I can fully understand that for potential customers, especially current reservation holders, it is annoying to say the least. 11K Euro is a hell of a lot of money, in the case of the Model 3, about a quarter (!) of the prospective purchase price.

Perhaps they are not entitled to enroll yet as they are - as of now - not officially selling the car in Romania. Just a guess. But I can fully understand that for potential customers, especially current reservation holders, it is annoying to say the least. 11K Euro is a hell of a lot of money, in the case of the Model 3, about a quarter (!) of the prospective purchase price.
Exactly!