Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 12V socket connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I'm soon going to be taking out the center console to put in the usb c retrofit to my 2018 model 3. While i'm taking the center console out I was thinking of running a 12V socket to the trunk for future use. I was wondering if anyone knows what this connector for the center console 12V outlet is (picture attached). I was thinking of instead of tapping the wire directly, making an adapter with a tap and a passthrough, so later on I can take it out if I wanted to without having to modified factory wiring. Want to buy a pair of the connectors that Tesla is using for the 12V outlet for that.

upload_2021-2-7_12-16-9.png

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

My guess is that it's an Aptiv (formerly Delphi) connector. There's probably hundreds of automotive connectors available and if you don't have any kind of identifying part or series number, then it's pure luck that you can find it in a search of a web site catalog (Aptiv, Mouser or Digikey). The Tesla electrical wiring diagrams only seems to say that the connector is labelled as X197. There should be what I'm assuming is a blue wire (12V) and black wire (ground) coming out of it.

An alternative way of extending the 12V into the trunk and still leave the car's electrical wiring without any alterations would be to plug in a dual (or triple) outlet cigarette lighter adapter. An extreme example would be something like this or a simpler option. Plug it in your car's outlet, wire up the extension outlet in the trunk with a standard lighter plug and you can have another outlet (or two, with USB charging ports) under the armrest. Of course you'll have to be careful if you try powering both outlets at the same time. The ~15A limit would apply to the combined power requirements of what you're using together.

• Helpful
Reactions: strykeroz
My guess is that it's an Aptiv (formerly Delphi) connector. There's probably hundreds of automotive connectors available and if you don't have any kind of identifying part or series number, then it's pure luck that you can find it in a search of a web site catalog (Aptiv, Mouser or Digikey). The Tesla electrical wiring diagrams only seems to say that the connector is labelled as X197. There should be what I'm assuming is a blue wire (12V) and black wire (ground) coming out of it.

An alternative way of extending the 12V into the trunk and still leave the car's electrical wiring without any alterations would be to plug in a dual (or triple) outlet cigarette lighter adapter. An extreme example would be something like this or a simpler option. Plug it in your car's outlet, wire up the extension outlet in the trunk with a standard lighter plug and you can have another outlet (or two, with USB charging ports) under the armrest. Of course you'll have to be careful if you try powering both outlets at the same time. The ~15A limit would apply to the combined power requirements of what you're using together.

Thanks! that's very informative. ill check out those connectors you have mentioned.

one reason why I didn't wanna use a cigarette lighter splitter is that the cigarette lighter socket isn't a very good connector, it's not locking and it's prone to disconnecting by accident. I wanted a more robust snap-in connector.

I suppose you could "make your own" adapter by using blade connectors and receptacles sized to fit the factory connector and back end of the 12V accessory outlet. Would probably be easier to do this instead of finding the identical factory connectors. If you can measure the thickness, width and length of the terminals on the back of the outlet, that should give you an idea of what to look for. Tap both of the wires, preferably using the same colors as the original wires, insulate all connections and run the wires to the back.

If you go this route, and even if can find the original factory connectors, I'd consider putting in an in-line fuse (15A) somewhere along the line to the back. Make sure you can change it out easily if for some reason it blows.

Hey guys, just reporting back, found the connector with leads already assembled and the accompanying receptacle on amazon (Canadian Amazon). Turns out that a GM receptacle uses the same connector. I bought both and test fitted outside the car and it fits perfectly. Now i'm gonna modify the socket and solder them together, to make a splitting adapter and try it in the car.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B008Y96IC8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004NQ940Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: JLee8
Hey guys, just reporting back, found the connector with leads already assembled and the accompanying receptacle on amazon (Canadian Amazon). Turns out that a GM receptacle uses the same connector. I bought both and test fitted outside the car and it fits perfectly. Now i'm gonna modify the socket and solder them together, to make a splitting adapter and try it in the car.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B008Y96IC8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004NQ940Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How did this work out?

Any finished pictures?

I'm thinking I'll do this for dash cam and future accessories (always on unless car is completely sleeping), while tapping into the brake controller socket for radar detector (on when the car is fully on, off otherwise).