Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - A Pillar and Tinting Issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a shop to do tinting on my Model 3. Going with the Model 3 flow, I want to use Photosync IRD.

When I inquired about doing the windshield, I got this response:

"Good Morning Gerhard,

The rolls of Photosync we have in stock are the 75% and the 45%.

With the Model 3’s we actually do not tint the windshields.

A few months back I had a meeting with the service manager at the Owings Mills location and found out that due to the A-pillars next to the windshield having computer chips in them tinting the windshield is not recommended.

There have been others shops that have tried and have gotten a small amount of water in there and fried the computer system and this is a $10,000 repairs so we have decided to just not do the install."

1) I didn't know Photosync comes in 75%? Does it?

2) Anyone hear of this A pillar issue?

I have Photosync on my Model 3 windshield - But I had it installed on a windshield outside of the car first before my cracked windshield was replaced. The same dealer/installer has installed numerous Photosync tints directly on Model 3 windshields with no problems.

Also, regarding the 75% Photosync: According to my installer, Prestige no longer makes that. Some installers still have some in stock. Prestige currently offers 65%, which is what I had put on the Model 3 windshield. I can't tell the difference between that and the 75% I have on my Model S as far as light level.

I'm not aware of the A pillars having anything in them as they take the trim pieces off to tint it. I think what the tint shop person means to say is that the liquid from the tint can get into the MCU which is underneath the dash there where excess liquid flows to. I had mine tinted with 3m crystalline 40%. A good tint shop will watch the amount of liquid they use while also putting rope towels and other towels down to avoid the water issue. Haven't had an issue with mine and love it! Here are two pics while mine was curing.

D3612531-180F-4061-BBB5-2AF2022BC544.jpeg 37482916-AF04-4E4C-9642-4A4554A497B7.jpeg

Reactions: GBMaryland
Guys, you rock...

I also called the company that makes Photosync, and they confirmed that Photosync did come in a 75... but that product was replaced.

The older product wasn't quite as good as the current product with IRR blocking.

They did, however, pretty much rave about the installer. I think I’ll let them do the bulk of the car, and then find someone to do the windshield later...

Guys, you rock...

I also called the company that makes Photosync, and they confirmed that Photosync did come in a 75... but that product was replaced.

The older product wasn't quite as good as the current product with IRR blocking.

They did, however, pretty much rave about the installer. I think I’ll let them do the bulk of the car, and then find someone to do the windshield later...
You might look into the clear windshield treatment. Most manufs. make one. Mine is by LLumar and provides 99% UV and 43% heat protection. Fully tinting windshields is illegal in all 50 states and the Troopers have they're eyes peeled. I hate to see you have to undo an expensive tint job.
BTW- I love the way mine came out. Just in time for another trip through the desert to Phoenix in a few days. IMG_20190820_111536788.jpg

Guys, you rock...

AP tinting? I had them do photosync and it was great. My windshield has been done twice without damage by another vendor.