Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Actual performance may be more than you expect...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wow. 0-60 in 4.6s is a lot quicker than 5.1s

I'd consider myself a non-car expert (honestly, didn't pay attention to cars until I got interested in Teslas), do you think achieving a less than 5.0s time would be pretty common?

Where I see the over-performance is on range.

Tesla voluntarily lowered the 335 EPA result to 310. Based upon our early driving experience, it appears that they did so by making the efficiency number needed to achieve rated range (237 Wh/mile) more realistic, thereby making the 310 figure more realistic.

wow. 0-60 in 4.6s is a lot quicker than 5.1s

I'd consider myself a non-car expert (honestly, didn't pay attention to cars until I got interested in Teslas), do you think achieving a less than 5.0s time would be pretty common?

The beauty of Teslas is their acceleration numbers are pretty easy to achieve. It's pretty much just stomp the pedal and go and let traction control sort out your grip so anybody can do it. Much different than say, a manual transmission sports car, where the RPM you launch at and how quickly you shift can have a big impact on numbers for the exact same car.

Reactions: SmartElectric
means nothing without specifying which wheel/tires you have.

They may have lowered the range to partially account for the inefficiencies of the 19" wheel/tire combo.

Apologies.

18-inch

Aero covers on​

Stock LRR Michelin Primacy All-Season tires

You’re right. Tesla’s thinking might be that 310 would be about right for the 19-inch Sport rims.

That headline is only true if you truncate the 4.66 sec reading and you include a 1-ft rollout. (Which is how drag racers typically talk.)

The actual data seems to match the 5.1sec spec by Tesla.

Yeah, rounding is 4.7 seconds. As to the 1-ft rollout, I'm not clear that this is the case here. Yes, this was a test done by "Dragtimes," but it was done using a VBOX. Not sure if VBOX can be set to time based on a 1-ft rollout or not.

Reactions: tracksyde
Yeah, rounding is 4.7 seconds. As to the 1-ft rollout, I'm not clear that this is the case here. Yes, this was a test done by "Dragtimes," but it was done using a VBOX. Not sure if VBOX can be set to time based on a 1-ft rollout or not.

on the video the 1/4th mile graph starts at 0mph so it has no roll out on that run. It kind of looks like 5.1sec with no roll out but I am not sure.

What I can tell you is that the 60' sucked and if this thing gets better tires, runs on a better prepped surfaces or tesla adds launch mode it will run 12's in the 1/4th mile easy.

Attachments

• Model 3 .25 mile.JPG
    Model 3 .25 mile.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 71
Yes, that 60 foot should be around a 1.9 to get that sort of E.T. overall. Possibly even in the 1.8's.

My nearly stock '11 Challenger R/T typically runs 13.6-13.7 at 103, and 60 foots are in the 2.0's. I once hit it super hard on a cold and good traction day to get a 13.52, and that 60 foot was a 1.959.