Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Boring sled compatibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I don't think there's a technical reason the sled couldn't carry all manner of cars, to limit it just to Tesla Vehicles would surely drive up sales. Depends if they want it to be a driver of EV's or if it'll act as it's own seperate company and want to get revenues by some sort of tolling system for everyone.

Although I don't think there's a technical reason the sled couldn't carry all manner of cars, to limit it just to Tesla Vehicles would surely drive up sales. Depends if they want it to be a driver of EV's or if it'll act as it's own seperate company and want to get revenues by some sort of tolling system for everyone.

Could simply charge ICE vehicles more than EVs.

Well, that would make recognition and implementation of payments more difficult perhaps. Hmm.

It's definitely time to start talking about this. :D Whether Model 3 will be compatible with the electric sled and speculate on how much the option will be in Design Studio.
I can picture it now: Tesla owners posting threads here and threatening class action lawsuits because they had pre-paid for the sled option and it's still not available because, six months after the tweeted target date, the tunnel build-out promised by Elon still hasn't expanded beyond the few in Southern California. :D

Agree. Might be Tesla-only at first since it also makes sled design easier with only 5 models or whatever to accomodate. Also at 200 kph, I would think there would need to be a secure attachment device - more than just tire restraint. Any number of ways to do that though I guess. Non-Teslas could require an adapter be installed.

Anyway it opens up things like 10 minute autonomous pizza delivery from 50km away or whatever - when you simply must have a certain type of pizza from across town ($50 delivery tho.)

If the sleds are not designed to be compatible with the M3, what would they be compatible with? and what would be the point of that design?

Thread is basically a joke more than anything. However it'll likely be real too. But it could be a premium feature - Boring tunnel access. It will roll out to S and X owners first thru an OTA firmware upgrade. :D But of course it will be available for M3 too.

Also if they get really good with these boring machines you might be able to mount one on the front of your Model X and then truly go wherever you want. Choose the TBM package in design studio. Feature would be locked out if car is in full autopilot mode however.