TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 buzzing after parked

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by djroberts, Jul 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. djroberts

djroberts Member

It was parked in the sun for a couple of hours. During that time the normal hum (battery cooling?) ran the entire time. The car listed 97 degress when checked via the app. I spot cleaned the windshield and left it. Then I pulled in the car and the wipers kept going then made the following noise.

2. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

Sounds like the fan needs some lube? My fan runs hard but not like that.

3. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

I feel like my car makes that sound, too, after I pull into the garage -- and I believe it keeps making that sound until I walk out of range with my phone.

4. djroberts

djroberts Member

I sent the video to Tesla support and they're going to have a mobile tech look at it. I already had an apt for a rattle so they just added on to that. He said it definitely sounded too loud.

• Informative x 1
  5. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

Sounds like it’s getting ready for takeoff

6. DJVoorhees

DJVoorhees Member

Hmmmm, mine makes a similar noise.

7. mike95

mike95 Member

Yes. This is 100% normal. It’s the AC compressor and is variable speed depending on AC demands; when it’s at high speeds you have this sound. I have two model 3 and they are identical like this — particularly when starting up when off and cabin temperature is higher than desired temperature on climate control.

• Like x 2
  8. ZOMGVTEK

ZOMGVTEK Member

That’s definitely the A/C compressor. It sounds totally normal. You can hear it slowing down as you exited the car, but if it kept running it meant the battery needed to be cooled.

• Like x 1
  9. Wahbash

Wahbash Member

I had the same thing today. I was parked at work for about 2 hours when I went out to the car to get something...as I was walking up to the car, from several feet away, I could hear it whirring away loudly.

Never seen that before and thought it was odd. Why was the car making so much noise while left alone?

10. WilliamG

WilliamG Active Member

I’ve heard mine make the same noises.

11. 350z

350z Member

Same here. Only when the a/c is working. Keep us updated.

12. sareen

sareen Member

I have observed the exact same thing and am wondering if it's normal since it feels pretty loud. Let us know!

13. djroberts

djroberts Member

I'm getting mixed feedback. Some people say it's normal. It wasn't noisy when the mobile tech came out but I played for him the video. He said it sounded a bit loud but I'd have to take it into a service center. I kind of don't want to deal with that if the car is working fine but I'll probably contact them in the next 30 days to see what kind of hassle it is.

14. 350z

350z Member

Thanks for the update. I noticed the buzzing noise when pressing the air recycle button. I’m living with it for now.

15. Dan203

Dan203 Member

My BMW 135i sounded like that when it was really hot and the A/C fan was running full tilt. I asked service about it once but they wanted an absurd amount to fix it so I just ignored it.

16. camalaio

camalaio Member

Definitely the AC compressor as others have said. It may be cabin overheat protection for others hearing this at otherwise odd times. I don't believe the app reports the right temperature, or at least it's not the full story for what it decides to run -- I've seen it turn on the heat when set to 21C and the interior temperature reported 23C.

Do you have cabin overheat protection enabled? It is by default. When it's hot inside it will run the AC to prevent excessive heat inside the cabin for 12 hours.