Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a RWD Tesla through 5 winters and driven through everything imaginable except for golf ball size hail. Those that tell you AWD is a must should just slow down. I have ordered the model 3 and really look forward to it. I have a 2013 MS for sale with 166,000 KM on it.

I have a lifted Tundra and a Subaru Outback (Besides the X). Couldn't make it out of my driveway with the AWD Subaru this winter - truck did OK for the last 4 months of winter here. Unusually deep snow, but still no way that RWD would ever be appropriate here. My friends/neighbours with front wheel drive just gave up and looked for rides to work, etc. Unless you had speed/momentum you weren't going anywhere. You do realize that while Toronto is in Canada, it is further south than Portland, and Ontario goes further south than the northern border of California?

The rest of us in Canada who live more than 50 miles from the US actually have winters!

There was still too much snow on the roads last week for autopilot to work.

There's a story in the WSJ that quotes a Bernstein report that states that only 30% of those invited to configure their Model 3s have actually done so. I wonder why that is - are they waiting for SR, or AWD, or do they realize that they can't afford the car with the options that they want.

Analysts at Bernstein said in a research note last week that fewer than 30% of customers who have been invited to take delivery of the Model 3 have actually done so.

There's a story in the WSJ that quotes a Bernstein report that states that only 30% of those invited to configure their Model 3s have actually done so. I wonder why that is - are they waiting for SR, or AWD, or do they realize that they can't afford the car with the options that they want.

Plenty of reasons
- AWD and/or performance <= Majority, given that most invitees are S/X owners and will pay for the additional options
- SR <= Why I'd be deferring. I'm a non-owner. But many S/X owners might also just want the 3 as a "2nd car".
- Production improvements
- Current S/X lessee <= timing

I have a lifted Tundra and a Subaru Outback (Besides the X). Couldn't make it out of my driveway with the AWD Subaru this winter - truck did OK for the last 4 months of winter here. Unusually deep snow, but still no way that RWD would ever be appropriate here. My friends/neighbours with front wheel drive just gave up and looked for rides to work, etc. Unless you had speed/momentum you weren't going anywhere. You do realize that while Toronto is in Canada, it is further south than Portland, and Ontario goes further south than the northern border of California?

The rest of us in Canada who live more than 50 miles from the US actually have winters!

To be fair, you're comparing RWD ICE vehicles to a RWD Tesla which are very different from each other.

So what you have said above is you (live in BC - by your signature) get an abnormal amount above the national average. We too get the ridiculous snowfall every now and then and no one goes anywhere. If we get 10+" of snow does not matter what car you have in Ontario or any other place as traffic will dictate when and how fast you go and trust me if you had an AWD tesla you would not use it as a snowplough.

So my statement stands, on show covered roads you will not get stuck in a RWD model S or 3.

To be fair, you're comparing RWD ICE vehicles to a RWD Tesla which are very different from each other.
I'm comparing an ICE Subaru Outback with 8" of clearance to an ICE Toyota Tundra with 11" of clearance. Then using that data (one works in snow, the other had many times this winter that it wouldn't) to compare to my X with up to 8" of clearance and compare that to an unknown 3 with 5" of clearance. Without AWD.

Not going to cut it my friend. Sorry you misunderstood at first.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I have had a RWD Tesla through 5 winters and driven through everything imaginable except for golf ball size hail. Those that tell you AWD is a must should just slow down. I have ordered the model 3 and really look forward to it. I have a 2013 MS for sale with 166,000 KM on it.
nobody is saying you can't make a RWD Tesla work. We're just saying you'd be making what is , in our opinion, a poor choice.

AWD will be about $6500 or so. When you drive the car for 4 years and sell it, you'll recoup about $4,000 of that. So your real cost of AWD is $2500. When you go to sell it, you'll have far more interested parties who demand AWD, so that will also help your selling price (bigger market) and lower your $2500 to something less. Let's call it $2000. On top of this you will have uneven tire wear, burning through rear tires at a good clip, likely to your financial detriment over 4 years of about $1000 so now you're only saving $1000 vs. AWD.

Here's what you get for that $1000 savings
  • a slower, less stable car in dry conditions
  • a slower, less stable car in wet conditions
  • a slower, less stable car in snowy conditions
  • considerably less range (something to consider if you live outside of the 400/401 corridor as there will be very little supercharging there till 2020)
Again, nobody is saying you can't do it. We're just saying it's worse and you're not really saving much money...so why on earth would you?

You made the assumption that something is abnormal. Then built your argument on that assumption. So we can agree that in Toronto or any latitude at or below California where I lived for five years, rwd Tesla’s are adequate for the type of snow conditions encountered there. North of the 51st parallel, it so much.

I'd be one of those, waiting for AWD/LR. Frankly I'm not in a rush though so I may defer further.

I don't doubt though that many people who ordered thought they'd get one for $35,000 and then get a tax break and have a Tesla for $30k. They're mistaken lol and now they may be realising that.

Reactions: doubeld
You made the assumption that something is abnormal. Then built your argument on that assumption. So we can agree that in Toronto or any latitude at or below California where I lived for five years, rwd Tesla’s are adequate for the type of snow conditions encountered there. North of the 51st parallel, it so much.
Toronto doesn't get snow. As @RAM_Eh said: 10" of snow cripples Toronto. Heck, 2" of snow shuts the city down.
I live an hour (90KM) north-west of Toronto, in the Lake Huron snow belt. Not California-like winters. Generally (not this year), lots of snow. I wouldn't have bought a RWD Tesla. I have that extra security of snow tires and AWD.

I don't notice any difference. It takes chains or AWD to get up my driveway in the winter at my cabin unless I spend more time plowing, salting and sanding. There was no AWD when I ordered my S in 2013. I'm happy to wait and I look forward to seeing the rwd ones roaming our streets soon. RWD Is fine if you spend your time in the Lower Mainland or if you have another vehicle with AWD, at least in my view. I find it real tempting and if I didn't have my S, I might have got it. Life's too short not to be driving a Tesla now.

Last edited:
I don't notice any difference. It takes chains or AWD to get up my driveway in the winter at my cabin unless I spend more time plowing, salting and sanding. There was no AWD when I ordered my S in 2013. I'm happy to wait and I look forward to seeing the rwd ones roaming our streets soon. RWD Is fine if you spend your time in the Lower Mainland or if you have another vehicle with AWD, at least in my view.

For the last 3 years we are a one car (Ford Escape Titanium AWD) family. Went from 3 cars to 1 car and 1 Harley:). Retired so will have the luxury of parking the RWD 3 for any nasty winter weather. Not that I’m afraid of RWD!

Hell, I grew up sneaking out in my moms car at 15 and spent a a lot of time doing donuts in the church parking lot! Learned how to drive sideways way before my drivers test!

Reactions: Canuck
I don't notice any difference. It takes chains or AWD to get up my driveway in the winter at my cabin unless I spend more time plowing, salting and sanding. There was no AWD when I ordered my S in 2013. I'm happy to wait and I look forward to seeing the rwd ones roaming our streets soon. RWD Is fine if you spend your time in the Lower Mainland or if you have another vehicle with AWD, at least in my view. I find it real tempting and if I didn't have my S, I might have got it. Life's too short not to be driving a Tesla now.

I've mainly driven FWD all of my life. Have yet to own an AWD car. Maybe a Model X is in my future to replace my Rav4.

$80,000? For $80,000 you can have German cars with 450 hp, AWD and seat massagers.
The cost of fuel is considerable on big German luxo barges. Not to mention maintenance. Maintenance is a killer on anything German.

I laugh every time someone asks “you drive that thing in the winter?!” Whenever they see me get out of the miata. The next question is “isn’t it dangerous??”
Nowadays people treat their rides as an appliance. The amount of Toyota Crayolas and Camry’s is staggering. These are the same people who have no business being on the road since they’re completely oblivious and inconsiderate to other motorists.
The people who drive German stuff are people who want to appear “higher in the food chain” but we all know they moved out of a Toyota and into something German. Just look at their driving... not to mention they don’t own the vehicle. They’re just renting. At a considerable cost too. But anything to give off the image of keeping up with the Jones’s

The dying breed is the enthusiast. They’re the ones out their in their lowered RWD, typically Japanese brand vehicles, trying to get where they’re going without incident. Always has the appropriate equipment on the vehicle and never relying on a computer to do the job.

Yes, the model 3 looked very promising. And hopefully later on (and I’m talking a good 4-6yrs at least), I might consider moving into 1. But somehow the old trusty miata seems to be a better fit for my needs as a daily go getter.

Kudos to any of you receiving a new 3. Even better for the ones getting the rwd versions!

Reactions: Falkirk and doubeld