Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 charging at peak times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need the car to honor non peak hours for charging (12 am to 3 pm only). It starts charging anytime. This is frustrating.

I have a Nissan Leaf and it's charging works without any issues. Very simple to set and I never had a need to verify again. With Tesla I have to constantly verify.

Not what I expected with $15K more.

• Funny
Reactions: Matsayz and Rocky_H
I need the car to honor non peak hours for charging (12 am to 3 pm only). It starts charging anytime. This is frustrating.

Did you set the charging start time while you were at the location? It is gps aware.

When you plug in and look at the screen it should say “charging will begin at”...

my window is 9pm-3pm and it starts every night at 9:30.

I really dislike that particular argument. To hit any price point some things are left off. Each company has its priorities. Did you prefer the performance, handling, and range of the car that was $15k less?

I have a Nissan Leaf and it's charging works without any issues. Very simple to set and I never had a need to verify again. With Tesla I have to constantly verify.

I’m confused about what you’re confused about. Did you read the manual and set a charge start time?

At this point you can select Charging Start time or Charging Departure time. Select start time at 12 am and set your Set Limit where it will complete by 3 am. If you need more charge you are outside of non-peak window.
The OP's end-time for off-peak rate is 3 PM (mid-afternoon), so he has a 15 hour window in which to charge. Unless he's using 120V, he should be done charging well before the end-time if he schedules charging to start at 12 AM (midnight).

As others have already pointed out, scheduling a delayed start time for charging is a standard feature with Tesla vehicles. Just have to read the manual. ;)

What exactly are you doing when you attempt to set your charging time? A little more information will get you the answers that you need. When you say "it starts charging anytime," what exactly does that mean? How is it playing out?
The process is very simple. We can walk you through it if needed.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
What exactly are you doing when you attempt to set your charging time? A little more information will get you the answers that you need. When you say "it starts charging anytime," what exactly does that mean? How is it playing out?
The process is very simple. We can walk you through it if needed.
If the OP already went through the process of setting a scheduled charging start time, be sure it's actually set to 12 midnight rather than 12 noon. If it's inadvertently set to the latter, that would explain why charging would always start immediately when the car is plugged in at the end of the day (after work or running errands).

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum and a new Tesla owner. We are loving our Model 3 SR+, but one thing is driving me nuts is the car kept charging around 11pm instead of the set time at 12:30am. My super Off-peak is 12am-6am. Can someone help me understand why the car charges earlier than the Charging Schedule?

Do you have departure time set? If so, turn it off and instead set your charging start time at 12:30. I’ve never used scheduled departure time and my charging start time has always functioned correctly. Perhaps posting a screenshot of the charging settings in your car would help us diagnose the issue.

I figured out what happened now, I have the Stat app and I noticed there was some charging settings that may have been conflicted with the Tesla app, so I deleted all the settings in Stat app. The last two nights the charging starts right at 12:30am. I hope that was it.

I know everyone loves the third party apps, but I've never downloaded one and I've never had a single wifi/charging/software issue with the car. I even have a Juicebox and I refuse to turn the Wifi on. The car does everything just fine without interference.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
I know everyone loves the third party apps, but I've never downloaded one and I've never had a single wifi/charging/software issue with the car. I even have a Juicebox and I refuse to turn the Wifi on. The car does everything just fine without interference.

Yeah, that app was really highly recommended by majority of Tesla owners. Yes it provide lots of stats, but I find myself not really using it lately. Live and learn lol