Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for this really noob question.

I'd like to charge my M3SR+ in Shrewsbury, occasionally, and I need to understand the charging coupler types and what will fit my M3. Thusfar I've only ever charged at home or at a Tesla supercharger. I know there's a Tesla supercharger in Telford, but I was hoping for something in Shrewsbury.

ZapMap (PC desktop) shows lists which include (for example at Asda) "0 x Tesla type 2", but also "3 x 7kW 32A Type 2 Mennekes" - will the latter fit my car? If so, How do I set up payment, preferably ahead of time?

I'd like to charge my M3SR+ in Shrewsbury, occasionally, and I need to understand the charging coupler types and what will fit my M3. Thusfar I've only ever charged at home or at a Tesla supercharger. I know there's a Tesla supercharger in Telford, but I was hoping for something in Shrewsbury.

ZapMap (PC desktop) shows lists which include (for example at Asda) "0 x Tesla type 2", but also "3 x 7kW 32A Type 2 Mennekes" - will the latter fit my car? If so, How do I set up payment, preferably ahead of time?

Any Tesla charge point will have a connector that works with your car. Any public charger that is described as Type 2 or Mennekes will work with your car. any charge point with a connector described as CCS will work with your car.

The physical connectors you use are for "rapid" charging and are described as CCS. All Tesla Superchargers have a CCS type of connector (sometimes there are 2 options but you will see the one that will fit). You can use this CCS connector from other public chargers. Though the CCS physical connector style is identical on Tesla Superchargers it is only Teslas that can charge on them.

How do I set up payment, preferably ahead of time?

If there are no Tesla chargers in an area have a look on Zapmap for potential charging locations. Look at the recent chat on Zapmap for a particular charge point to get an idea if it is usually working! Note the company details of who runs that charger and check online for a web sign up and/or a phone app to be able to use it.

what sort of charging are you looking to do? if its a stop off as part of a journey you will be there a long time using either of those at ASDA. i.e you will get only 7 kw similar to what you could get at home.
if you are looking for a rapid charger like a Supercharger as a stop off on a road trip then you need something like the instavolt at the Banatine health club or you could try your luck with the Electric highway at the Eurogarage. Neither will be as quick as a super charger since they are only 50KW

Personally I would go instavolt. contactless payment and good reliability 40p per kwh though
I don't think the electric highway one has been upgraded yet to the new Gridserve ones so if it is the old type you would need an app and account etc and they are also not very reliable.

Last edited:
Type 2 is the connector on the right, and is limited to 11kW on a model 3, regardless of the charger. This is AC charging - i.e. using the car's onboard charger, the same as at home.

Single phase - 16A - 3.5 kW ish
Single phase - 32A - 7 kW ish
Three phase - 16A - 11 kW ish

These are all pretty slow charging rates (11 kW is around 40 mph), but this sort of charger is sometimes free, or if not, closer to typical home charging costs of 12-14 p/kWh.

CCS is the connector on the left, the important part is the two terminals at the bottom, which allow DC charging. This means that the charger itself is doing the AC to DC conversion, and the connector is straight to the car's battery, not the onboard charger, so the 11kW limit doesn't apply.

This allows significantly faster charging rates - v3 superchargers are up to 250 kW, some third party CCS chargers are faster.

Typically, CCS charging is more expensive. You are paying a premium for the reduced charging time.

Iec-type2-ccs-combo2-and-iec-type2-charging-connectors-side-by-side.jpg

It depends on what you're doing, and how long you're staying for, as to what's the best fit.

Luke

Thanks for all the replies - that's very useful. I was actually considering Shrewsbury as a stop-off point, like over a weekend. I might be able to find a hotel or something which has EV charge points (to be researched).

Thanks again - really appreciated!

+1 for the Instavolt at Bannatyne’s.
The Electric Highway at Meole Brace seems to have some incompatibility with Teslas, I have never been successful using it.
There is also a rapid charger at Morrison’s, but I’ve never used it.
yeah but that is a geniepoint. You can charge without an account using the guest option that they hide as best they can in the terrible app.
unless it was a regular thing, or I needed groceries I would rather pay the extra and use Instavolt.

Thanks for all the replies - that's very useful. I was actually considering Shrewsbury as a stop-off point, like over a weekend. I might be able to find a hotel or something which has EV charge points (to be researched).

Thanks again - really appreciated!
Ok but I still think spending 6 hours in Asda carpark just to avoid coming to Telford is a bit harsh! We don't bite honest 🤪

Ok but I still think spending 6 hours in Asda carpark just to avoid coming to Telford is a bit harsh! We don't bite honest 🤪
Haha! Yes, I know Telford folk are really nice. The round trip from Shrewsbury, with charge time include, would be about 1½ hours. That's not too bad, and much better than several hours at a local supermarket, etc., but I was hoping for something like a local hotel with overnight charging. It's not a huge issue, and as Telford is on the way home from Shrewsbury, that is probably what we will do.

It's a rare gem to find a hotel that provides chargers that are working and accessible, if you search Booking.com you can add a filter under facilities for EV charge point but I would recommend calling ahead to see if it's really true. A quick search for Shresbury brings up this one ★★★★ Mytton and Mermaid, Shrewsbury, UK

Personally I would just use the Instavolt and then stay wherever I fancied.

Reactions: Jason71
It's a rare gem to find a hotel that provides chargers that are working and accessible, if you search Booking.com you can add a filter under facilities for EV charge point but I would recommend calling ahead to see if it's really true. A quick search for Shresbury brings up this one ★★★★ Mytton and Mermaid, Shrewsbury, UK

Personally I would just use the Instavolt and then stay wherever I fancied.
getting better. I stayed at a new self described "motel" in Bristol 3 weeks ago. Mollies. 8 3phase chargers in the carpark.
ironically its in Cribbs Bristol 300 metres from Lysander road and round the corner from the shopping centre and Gordano so basically a stones throw from 28 superchargers. ergo literally the last place in the country we needed it but still great and saved me £10 and 45 minutes so no complaints

I can also highly recommend the Myton its a great pub / restaurant but not even close to being in walking distance of the anything at all if that matters. I have no idea about the charger though

getting better. I stayed at a new self described "motel" in Bristol 3 weeks ago. Mollies. 8 3phase chargers in the carpark.
ironically its in Cribbs Bristol 300 metres from Lysander road and round the corner from the shopping centre and Gordano so basically a stones throw from 28 superchargers. ergo literally the last place in the country we needed it but still great and saved me £10 and 45 minutes so no complaints

I can also highly recommend the Myton its a great pub / restaurant but not even close to being in walking distance of the anything at all if that matters. I have no idea about the charger though
Right next to Attingham Park. National Trust site, nice for a couple of hours walking the grounds and seeing the Manor House if that’s the sort of thing you fancy :)