Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Completely Dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Model 3 was dead in our garage. Brought it in last night and charged it to 90%. This afternoon, walk into the garage and there’s a buzzing noise coming from the front of the car. Wasn’t the fan I think. Anyway, got into the car and the screen was dark. Two scroll button reset multiple times to no avail. App access was also gone. Called roadside and they came to tow it to the Service Center. Awaiting a verdict from them on the problem. Anyone experienced something similar? I would have said dead 12 volt but there was the buzzing noise… Any thoughts appreciated.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Quite impressed by the service so far. Took 40 minutes for towing company to come. 20 minutes later got a notice from the Service Centre that the car was in for service. Messaged to enquire about a loaner. Said they would be happy to get me one, and that Teslas were available. no diagnostic yet though I’ve seen the hood is open in the app.
if you got a loaner, it definitely wasn't a quick 12v swap.

if you got a loaner, it definitely wasn't a quick 12v swap.
I didn’t get a loaner yet. They just said I could get one if I wanted, tomorrow starting at 7 am. However, they specified they didn’t know yet how long the repair would take. They got the car at 5 pm. Service advisors leave at 7 pm at this SC but I believe they have techs doing an evening shift ‘til midnight.

Since that exchange, I’ve noticed the app now as updated SOC. This would indicate they have found the problem as the car is sharing data. Could be the 12v. I imagine I’ll get an update tomorrow when the advisors show up.

Reactions: Josie67 and Sam1
Conclusion. It was the 12v battery. Got the notification car was ready when I woke up this AM but they actually completed the work at 11:30 pm last night. That’s pretty impressive. Called roadside at 3:30 pm that day. Car was on a flatbed an hour later. All fixed that same evening. I’ve had my share of questionable service experiences having owned 3 Teslas but this one was down right impressive.

My fun story along these lines was with a 2018 M3 LR. After getting the car in September, in mid-May the SO got into the car, tried to start it, and Nothing Doing. Lots of alarms including Low Voltage.
Roadside assistance on the app invoked. Tow truck was there in about an hour with and tried to jump the car, no dice. Off to the SC they went.
This was on a Wednesday, I think. The SO was given a bunch of Uber credits, which she didn't use (I picked her up). Took until the following Tuesday for the diagnostics to get done, at which point she was given a Model S as a loaner. Tesla did remote troubleshooting and parts were ordered a day later; took until the following Monday for those to show, Tuesday for the work to begin, Wednesday they were done, Thursday we got the car.
Root cause: Short in the pagoda wiring harness blew the pyro fuse. That prevented the 12V from being charged, hence the low voltage complaints. They replaced the 12V battery while they were at it, I guess because it had been discharged to Zero. No problems with the car since then.
I'm a EE and mess with fuses, not huge ones, but the term, "Pyro Fuse" threw me, so I looked it up. It's kind of cool: When one has a short on the main battery voltage and the fuse blows, it's kind of important that the arc that forms where the fuse used to be gets quenched, otherwise, what's the point of a fuse? For those that don't know, an arc has a very low impedance. Not to mention that it gets, well, hot as the inside of a lightning bolt. The 350 V from the battery can throw quite an arc. The "Pyro" part of the fuse lights off a kind of firecracker that directs a serious blast of non-conductive gas across the fuse terminals, quenching the arc. At the time, the pyro fuse references I found pointed at a patent from Tesla, although I suspect that there may be other people making such things.
FWIW, I've known for a time that in city power high-tension wire switch gear yards, opening up a pair of contacts on a, say, 3000 volt high-tension circuit is not a job for the unwary. Back as an undergrad, the prof teaching a class I was in entertained us with the description of a blast of SF6 (sulfer hexafloride gas) from a bottle that gets let off as the switch gear opens, blowing the arc (as in, several feet of arc!) away from the contacts, SF6 having a higher breakdown voltage than mere O2-N2 air. After yea number of openings, they have to replace the SF6 bottle. Fun.

• Informative
Reactions: OzVic