Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 cover available in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Afternoon!

Does anyone have a cover they’d recommend? The official Tesla one isn’t available here, and I’m struggling to find one with a front vent and charging access.

I need to get something to stop bird *sugar* eating my paintwork, this happened with a poo removed well within 24 hours. Water based paint is pants.
5CCBC72A-F44A-458D-A2AB-19C56AF33926.jpeg

Saw this on Amazon the other day:

BougeRV For Tesla Model 3 Car Cover, All Weather Outdoor Waterproof Windproof Dustproof UV Protection Cover with Air Flow Ventilated Mesh & Opening Charing Port Design https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZVDTR5L/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_-5WKEbK3RSRJV

Has ventilation at the front and a hole for the charge port.

I've not bought it but BougeRV are a reputable brand.

Having just spend a couple of hours around the car and seeing how much dirt has accumulated due to lack of use and how hot the car gets in full sun, we have ordered one. Even if its just used for the lockdown, its £5-10/week insurance policy.

Clean (ie not dusty or pollen), not spotless is fine in my experience.

It is waxed just recently and isn’t ceramic coating an absolute fortune, besides being on lockdown...
You need to seal it as well or the wax won't last. Ceramic coating isn't difficult to do yourself, the expense comes from the time it takes, doing it yourself negates much of the cost.

You'll soon get fed up of removing a cover all the time. especially in the winter when it's either raining or frozen solid

Reactions: Durzel
I look at ceramic coating the same way as I’d look at getting decent, thorough survey on a house I would be looking to buy. You’ve spent (or will spend) a fortune on the car, why wouldn’t you spend a little more to protect that investment?

As a fraction of the vehicle cost, or even the cost and aggro of respraying, it’s worthwhile. And that’s before considering how easy it makes future cleaning.

D2FE73C9-5B4B-4657-9D78-E015575C3DBA.jpeg

Reactions: Matt2000
I look at ceramic coating the same way as I’d look at getting decent, thorough survey on a house I would be looking to buy. You’ve spent (or will spend) a fortune on the car, why wouldn’t you spend a little more to protect that investment?

As a fraction of the vehicle cost, or even the cost and aggro of respraying, it’s worthwhile. And that’s before considering how easy it makes future cleaning.

View attachment 531762

Hi Durzel - I'm in Bristol where did you get yours done?

My experience of our 'professionally' applied ceramic coat on our M3 is that is does nothing to stop a layer of dust/sand/pollen attaching itself to the car during hot dry spells when not being used. Add in that a large proportion of the car is not even coated to the same level and ceramic coating will do nothing to stop interior heat buildup close to 50C, a cover has many benefits for those leaving the car outside at this time of year laid up for long periods of time.

In my experience, a ceramic coating certainly doesn't stop dirt settling but it does make it easier to wash and does look nice until the next drive in inclement weather (certain parts of the car are a dirt magnet). But then so does snow foam - if I had choice of ceramic coat or snow foam for keeping the car looking nice, it would be a snow foam suite such as the Autoglym Polar products that I use. A car cover will protect the car and save time washing during the upcoming months for not a lot of money. Its another tool, along with snow foam and ceramic coating, not an alternative.

Reactions: TestPilot
I’d have to read some pretty conclusive proof that ceramic coating prevents bird poo paint damage before I’d bother. It’s the only thing I’m bothered about.

It was waxed the last time it was washed a week ago, so the wax won’t have gone anywhere and that did sweet FA to protect the paint.

I’d have to read some pretty conclusive proof that ceramic coating prevents bird poo paint damage before I’d bother. It’s the only thing I’m bothered about.

It was waxed the last time it was washed a week ago, so the wax won’t have gone anywhere and that did sweet FA to protect the paint.

How Ceramic Coatings Prevent Damage from Bird Droppings

SmartSelect_20200412-212544_Chrome.jpg

Maybe not written by a scientist but a well researched read regardless.

For what it's worth my quote for ceramic coating was £400.

• Informative
My experience of our 'professionally' applied ceramic coat on our M3 is that is does nothing to stop a layer of dust/sand/pollen attaching itself to the car during hot dry spells when not being used. Add in that a large proportion of the car is not even coated to the same level and ceramic coating will do nothing to stop interior heat buildup close to 50C, a cover has many benefits for those leaving the car outside at this time of year laid up for long periods of time.

In my experience, a ceramic coating certainly doesn't stop dirt settling but it does make it easier to wash and does look nice until the next drive in inclement weather (certain parts of the car are a dirt magnet). But then so does snow foam - if I had choice of ceramic coat or snow foam for keeping the car looking nice, it would be a snow foam suite such as the Autoglym Polar products that I use. A car cover will protect the car and save time washing during the upcoming months for not a lot of money. Its another tool, along with snow foam and ceramic coating, not an alternative.
All true, mine has a coating of dust etc since getting it coated.

The last car I used a cover with was garaged, and only ever driven in sunny weather, so it was no hassle to clean it before putting it under wraps. Once we start driving these things again they’re going to get muddy, rained on, etc. If you’re driving it every day at that point it’s going to be a grind getting it clean enough to put the cover on it safely imo.

In terms of heat buildup - do you not use cabin overheat protection?

I don’t really understand why it has to be a decision between ceramic coating and snow foam? I still do the two bucket wash with snow foam on cars that have had a coating?

I don’t really understand why it has to be a decision between ceramic coating and snow foam? I still do the two bucket wash with snow foam on cars that have had a coating?

It doesn't, in the same way that it doesn't have to be a decision between ceramic coat and a car cover. I use no bucket wash and two different snow foam applications plus an occasional 3rd coat sealant - Autoglym Polar products are working great for us but I know others recommend other products too.

Cabin overheat protection has its place but rather overkill (energy, wear and tear, noise) for a car sitting on the drive 24/7 unused for several months when a simple cover will work better. Venting seems to be a beneficial tool to reduce the peaks and uses no power.

Unfortunately my garage is rather strangely full of other cars (odd things to put in garages), so as his one is the most regularly used, if you can say that these days, it sits out in the elements. For the price of a lockdowns worth of coffee, a car cover seems like a good buy.

Last edited:
How Ceramic Coatings Prevent Damage from Bird Droppings

View attachment 531770

Maybe not written by a scientist but a well researched read regardless.

For what it's worth my quote for ceramic coating was £400.

I know I’m being difficult about this, but this article also lists natural carnauba wax as protection from bird poo, albeit short lived. Well that’s what I spent half of last Saturday doing, wash, polish, and carnauba wax, and it protected not at all.

I’m just really skeptical of a thin coat of anything stopping this problem, I’m going to stick to the cover for summer months. I appreciate that you guys have had a good experience with ceramic coating, I’m just not convinced.

It doesn't, in the same way that it doesn't have to be a decision between ceramic coat and a car cover. I use no bucket wash and two different snow foam applications plus an occasional 3rd coat sealant - Autoglym Polar products are working great for us but I know others recommend other products too.

Cabin overheat protection has its place but rather overkill (energy, wear and tear, noise) for a car sitting on the drive 24/7 unused for several months when a simple cover will work better. Venting seems to be a beneficial tool to reduce the peaks and uses no power.

Unfortunately my garage is rather strangely full of other cars (odd things to put in garages), so as his one is the most regularly used, if you can say that these days, it sits out in the elements. For the price of a lockdowns worth of coffee, a car cover seems like a good buy.
I guess you’re right. I’m anticipating that we’ll be back working within a few months, not several, but obviously everyone’s work from home policy is different.

Did you order the one from that Amazon link?