Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After rigourous testing and A/B testing, I have managed to reduce “vampire drain” on the Model 3 to practically 1% loss over a period of 9 hours on standby. Prior to applying the solution, I was losing close to 5-6% a night.

Solution?
On iOS or Android, simply turn off ‘Background App Refresh’ for the Tesla app. When on, it was causing the app to wake up the car once every 20 mins. Now, I no longer have this issue and goodbye to “vampire drain”.

Others have told Android users to keep that on, otherwise your Phone key wont work properly causing you to have to either open up the app or disable/re-enable BT. Have you had any issues with the phone key since?

Are any of you guys still experiencing the crazy vampire drain?

I’m still losing 20 miles per day with the car garages and idle, and I’m not using any API services like TezLab. Please let’s me know if you are also having the same problem or if your issues have been resolved.

Again, please only respond if you are NOT using any API services, so that we don’t skew the responses.

Tesla keeps telling me that this is common in the fleet, but I don’t know anyone else with this bad a drain.

Tesla keeps telling me that this is common in the fleet, but I don’t know anyone else with this bad a drain.
Tesla people say lots of things that are incorrect. We used to had a thread here of stupid things Tesla people have said, but I haven’t been able to find it lately. I don’t know if they honestly don’t know the right answer, or if they just make stuff up hoping you’ll go away.

I had bad drain where the car does not goto sleep. I check with my iPhone by swiping right on the main screen and checking the widget.

If it stays awake long I unlock and re lock the car. That seems to work 80% of the time to put the car to sleep.

The car has been at the service center since April 24th. (that was the second time it was there). Originally went in on April 11, and it was there for a week. Got it back for a few days and then it went back in, has been there for 72 days now (as of 7/5/18). Ya, it's nuts!

I only got to really drive my car for 2 weeks total since ownership back in March! :( Only have 1100 miles on it...

The car has been at the service center since April 24th. (that was the second time it was there). Originally went in on April 11, and it was there for a week. Got it back for a few days and then it went back in, has been there for 72 days now (as of 7/5/18). Ya, it's nuts!

I only got to really drive my car for 2 weeks total since ownership back in March! :( Only have 1100 miles on it...
Yikes! Do you have a model s or x as loaner? If so might not be so bad. Hehe

They gave me a Model S loaner after I begged for one 2 weeks later. But it has AP1, AP2 is better now. Also I actually greatly prefer the Model 3 to the Model S. The handling is way better and it feels more open inside. The S feels more like a muscle car.

Well apparently my unlock and lock trick does not work. I had my car parked from sunday 10 am till Thursday 10pm and I lost 18 miles over 4 days. That’s still 4.5 mile drain a day.

Why can’t these cars just shut down.

Is it possible the 12v battery is bad (reading low) causing the car to continually charge it?

Well apparently my unlock and lock trick does not work. I had my car parked from sunday 10 am till Thursday 10pm and I lost 18 miles over 4 days. That’s still 4.5 mile drain a day.

Why can’t these cars just shut down.

Well, a lot of the US has been having a heatwave, so it’s possible your car is waking up to cool the battery down?

Is it possible the 12v battery is bad (reading low) causing the car to continually charge it?

That’s what I thought, they finally tried changing it on Monday and it stayed asleep for 24 hours and was good. (Lost 2 miles of for the first time in 2 months). Then it woke up and did the same crap again. It seems like the issue is related to the 12v management module, or the connection from the main battery to the 12v.

Last edited:
Last night
E5F599BF-39C8-4CE5-BDCA-90C966DCE831.jpeg

This morning
6625A445-6738-459F-A1C0-DAFE9582A6AE.jpeg

Crazy Vampire Gain. 19 hours since last charge.

-Randy

Yeah, I have seen weird glitches like when my car lost all color and wheels in the app image but never seen it gain miles over an almost 12 hour period.

I had to remove all apps from accessing the car to get it down to .5 mile loss overnight, I track it with two photos a day, 7:30am and 8pm. When I added back some apps it got worse again, though not as bad as before. I reset the password one more time and only put on TezLab and it went to 1.5 miles per night. So some days two miles, some days one. I am happy with that. During the day I have caught it running the fans which might explain the loss during the day, which seems to always be more than at night, even with it in the garage out of the sun. Even after several days w/o opening the doors the days lose more miles than the nights. So I am going to keep TezLab, it's worth the extra loss of a couple miles a day to have all its features. May move to TeslaFi if TezLab starts charging.

-Randy

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J
Well, a lot of the US has been having a heatwave, so it’s possible your car is waking up to cool the battery down?

That’s what I thought, they finally tried changing it on Monday and it stayed asleep for 24 hours and was good. (Lost 2 miles of for the first time in 2 months). Then it woke up and did the same crap again. It seems like the issue is related to the 12v management module, or the connection from the main battery to the 12v.
Put a 12 volt charger on the battery so it charges from that rather than from the battery pack. If the vampire goes away, it is a bad 12 volt battery. Also have you tried garlic or silver bullets?

Another data point... I've been keeping an eye on my vampire drain and it appears to be close to 1 mile an hour when left unplugged. Car has been parked outside at home (mid 80s to low 90s temps during the day in the last several days) with the cabin overheat prevention enabled, as well as in a parking garage at work. I am NOT using my smartphone as key; instead I've been relying upon the keycard for access. Tesla app on my phone has been set to unmonitored power. Random checks during the day using the app indicates that the car is "waking up" to provide current data. Car has had version 2018.24.1 since day one.