Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested to know if vampire drain has disappeared for other owners? I mentioned in another topic, mine was regularly 8-9 per day/night and now it's mostly zero. I am not sure which action fixed it but I did:

1- Rebalanced the battery.
2- Changed password so Tezlabs cannot access the car anymore.
3- Updated couple of times - recently (now 2018.18.13).
4- Tesla was investigating so maybe they did something.
5- Replaced charge port door (known fault after washing).
6- Always turn off bluetooth when at home.

yes Randy - I am also getting vampire GAIN too.

I did get some drain over the weekend when parked where it was hot whilst shopping for an hour, then got back to the car and it was 100F inside.

so 7 will be - park in the shade.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Interested to know if vampire drain has disappeared for other owners? I mentioned in another topic, mine was regularly 8-9 per day/night and now it's mostly zero. I am not sure which action fixed it but I did:

yes Randy - I am also getting vampire GAIN too.

I did get some drain over the weekend when parked where it was hot whilst shopping for an hour, then got back to the car and it was 100F inside.

so 7 will be - park in the shade.
I think there was a combination of things but my results have been sporadic with intermittent nights where I see 6 mile drain and other nights no drain at all. I would say over a 4-5 day stretch, seeing an average of 2-3 miles per night which is a significant improvement over the 10-12 mile drain I was getting initially, then the 6-7 mile (2-3 releases ago) to 2-3 miles now. I think there have been changes to the code since my MX is also seeing reduction in drain, down 1-2 miles per 24 hr vs 4-7 miles previously.

I am leaving on a 4-5 day business trip now, so will check again when I get back.

My vote is #2. I don’t understand owners who complain about vampire drain when they have third party crap connecting to their cars. Disable anything not provided by Tesla, and then complain if you have excessive vampire drain.

My vote is #2. I don’t understand owners who complain about vampire drain when they have third party crap connecting to their cars. Disable anything not provided by Tesla, and then complain if you have excessive vampire drain.

I feel even with just the Tesla app I was causing vampire drain by constantly checking in on the app. Would be nice if it only woke the car if I specifically asked it to. Just present the last state communicated to the servers before the car went to sleep and show that the car is currently asleep and give it a button to wake to get current temps and charge directly from the car.

I hate turning on my phone and discovering that the last app I had open was the Tesla app and now it's waking the car even though I am actually looking to text someone and don't wanna interact with the car. It should continue to sleep.

Considering ALL the 3P apps I am currently using I am shocked that my vampire hasn't gotten worse. But please realize when Tesla says they don't support 3P apps, they just mean don't call them for support. Certainly w/o their API there wouldn't be many 3P apps for the Tesla.

-Randy

Reactions: UZJedi and Falkirk
After rigourous testing and A/B testing, I have managed to reduce “vampire drain” on the Model 3 to practically 1% loss over a period of 9 hours on standby. Prior to applying the solution, I was losing close to 5-6% a night.

Solution?
On iOS or Android, simply turn off ‘Background App Refresh’ for the Tesla app. When on, it was causing the app to wake up the car once every 20 mins. Now, I no longer have this issue and goodbye to “vampire drain”.

After rigourous testing and A/B testing, I have managed to reduce “vampire drain” on the Model 3 to practically 1% loss over a period of 9 hours on standby. Prior to applying the solution, I was losing close to 5-6% a night.

Solution?
On iOS or Android, simply turn off ‘Background App Refresh’ for the Tesla app. When on, it was causing the app to wake up the car once every 20 mins. Now, I no longer have this issue and goodbye to “vampire drain”.

Android
NOTE: If you’d like to disable your phone from using any data at all in the background, you can also check the “Restrict Background Data” box in the Data Usage menu. Keep in mind, checking this will also halt any notifications of messages and emails coming in until you open the app.

Idk if its worth it to possibly miss out on recieving messages and emails notifications...

B11DAD33-43E3-449B-9723-C818760BB56F.jpeg
Additional suggestion:

This has been mentioned before in a thread, you can add a widget on iOS. This will show when you swipe to the left from your home screen. With ‘Background App Refresh’ now turned off, my Tesla gets a well needed rest without having to wake up every now and then just to refresh the Tesla app.

If the status in the widget says ‘Parked’ then you will experience vampire drain. If it says ‘Asleep’ then no vampire drain.

Perhaps Tesla app developers should imbed a logic where API calls from the app do not occur during night time and allow the car to stay asleep.

• Helpful
Reactions: mtndrew1
Ok, so I did change the password and the car managed to sleep, almost immediately after I changed the password, though I then signed into TeslaSpy to generate this graphic:

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 11.27.21 AM.png

Yet somehow I was still losing more than 10 miles overnight. So last night I removed the token for TeslaSpy so the Tesla app was the only thing talking to the car overnight and I only lost 1 mile!!

IMG_3069.PNG IMG_3070.PNG (Yay, pics are working again!)

So I will now start turning services back on one at a time, see who is eating my batt. Of course, I still have the car fan blowing full blast during the day, there is no shade where I park in the summer.

-Randy

Yeah, I just didn't have a good strategy to track the power loss w/o the 3P apps. Ended up just setting an alarm for the 8 am/pm hours and take a screenshot each time. I was often losing more than 25 miles a day and yesterday just 2 and overnight just 1, like the previous night. So unless TESLA changed something it's one or more of my 3P apps. TestaSpy seemed to continue the drain so I am not going to use that. I am pretty sure TezLab had the same issue, but I'll try them again today and see what happens. I do love a Fitbit for Tesla...

IMG_3076.jpeg IMG_3077.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: DR61

Solution?
I had tried this solution before, didn’t work for me. I even deleted the app altogether at one point and didn’t help.