Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 driver's seat profile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way for my car to recognise the driver who is about to enter , and automatically set the driver's seat profile to that driver?
It defaults to my seat setting as soon as my wife opens the car(even though she uses her phone to unlock the car). She has to then choose her profile from the main screen to revert to her seat setting.

Is there a way for my car to recognise the driver who is about to enter , and automatically set the driver's seat profile to that driver?
It defaults to my seat setting as soon as my wife opens the car(even though she uses her phone to unlock the car). She has to then choose her profile from the main screen to revert to her seat setting.

As far as I can see it doesn't default to any setting, it just sticks with the profile that was in use when it was last parked. If my wife has been driving then it's her profile when I get in to drive subsequently.

Reactions: Roy W. and MrBadger
It’s a bit hit and miss. I think it goes by who’s phone was closest when the car is unlocked. But here’s how to set up:

upload_2020-2-4_9-22-3.jpeg

I don’t know if this will work but read this on the Tesla forum.

Just sharing this since it looks like the way you can add a second account that can be used in the mobile app as a key has changed. There is no need to contact Tesla anymore.

To do this, log into the Tesla website and go to the Tesla Account page (right side of the upper menu bar). Then click on 'Account'. On the account page, click on the 'Contact' section and add a secondary contact. This will result in them getting an email to set up their tesla account.

Once setup they can then use it in the mobile app and set it up as mobile app key for you Model 3.

There is no need for two Tesla accounts.

It seems that ejvee and his wife both have a phone set up as a key. The problem is that both keys are associated with his driver profile.

From memory, I believe ejvee must:
1. get in the car,
2. select his wife’s driver profile (so the seat moves to her preferred position),
3. navigate to the screen shown in CMc1’s post above on the car menu system, and
4. click on the person icon (highlighted in red in the CMc1 image) for his wife’s phone.

That is all. No more clicking on anything in the settings page.

It seems that ejvee and his wife both have a phone set up as a key. The problem is that both keys are associated with his driver profile.

1. get in the car,
2. select his wife’s driver profile (so the seat moves to her preferred position),
3. navigate to the screen shown in CMc1’s post above on the car menu system, and
4. click on the person icon (highlighted in red in the CMc1 image) for his wife’s phone.

This is correct I did it at the weekend. but just a word of warning. after doing this my phone also ended up activating my wifes profile even though the above screen clearly said that my My S10 was linked to the "Jason" profile. In the end I unlinked it and linked it again and now its fine but this is not the first time i have heard of this sort of flakiness so be aware
p.s. I think the screen mentioned is under the "locks" tab

• Informative
Reactions: Andrew_SE23

1. get in the car,

Thanks Andrew.
Should I use my wife's phone while setting this?