TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Alketi, Jul 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Alketi

Alketi Member

Apologies if this has already been posted but I didn't see a thread about it and the pieces are now nearly undeniable.

It appears the Model 3 will use a keycard, not a FOB, for entry

A white keycard was previously spotted in a Model 3 cupholder.
    [​IMG]

Then 3 weeks ago a reddit poster confirmed the keycard as a mode of entry. Take this with a grain of salt, but he seemed quite adamant and specific. Model 3 access key card spotted? (Take 2) • r/teslamotors

Then a keycard holder was spotted in another Model 3 cupholder
    [​IMG]

Then, in the just posted Electrek video, VP of Engineering Doug Field was spotted holding the same black keycard holder as he entered the Model 3...
    [​IMG]

• Informative x 9
    • Disagree x 2
  2. mrsandman

mrsandman Member

So if I need to unlock the car from a distance, pop the trunk before I get to it, or hit a panic button I'm gonna have to use my phone?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

eh, I have never seen a car with a panic button and I'm sure the trunk will pop open in the same way as any other car with a remote key. Unless you have a powerlift trunk it is completly irrelevant if you have a key with buttons, a card or a tesla amulet and chain to open the car. xD

4. VIKING26

VIKING26 Member

I've had a panic button for 18 years on one vehicle and never once intentionally used it. I think if this key card theory is true, we will all be okay without panicking.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 4
  5. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

I hope this is true, but I also hope that the card is small enough to fit in my wallet. The ones in the picture look to be too big for that. Would have to be credit card sized.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  6. MacGreiner

MacGreiner Member

So why is this not just some staff access card for the freemont factory, or some sub office within?

• Like x 1
  7. sitter_k

sitter_k Member

#7 sitter_k, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Look closer The first picture is the card, the other 2 are the case or leather folder.

I kind of like the card better, i hour the app is fast and maybe has a widget to leave on a home screen.

8. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Usually, those are on a lanyard hanging around the neck or are on a clip and affixed to an article of clothing.

9. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

I wonder if the card uses BT or NFC or RF and if the batteries are replaceable.

• Like x 1
  10. 1208

1208 Active Member

Makes sense;

1. Key fob bulky in comparison.
    2. Cheaper easier to manufacture and replace.
    3. 1 less thing to carry around, most people carry wallet with them when driving.
    4. Can easily get multiple cards for rest of family or those you car share with.
    5. No need to use battery.

I think it will be like chip and pin credit cards, no battery in it.

• Like x 1
  11. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

If the key was credit-card size would be much better. I'd prefer a fob to the large rectangle pictured.

• Like x 2
  12. Alketi

Alketi Member

Reddit poster who called this 3 weeks ago had this to say:

Can confirm 100% Model 3 has a Key Card that is not plastic but a thick metal matte finish that you will swipe the card against the door panel for entry. The app on android and iPhone are the alternatives...

It was designed to be affordable to replace. Current fobs range from $399 - $499 to replace.

• Informative x 4
    • Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. diamond.g

diamond.g Member

I would like the fob cause it was a miniature of the car and looked cool. Not many manufactures do that.

• Like x 1
  14. Petra

Petra Member

I really hope this isn't the case and actual proximity keys are a thing for the Model 3. Like with my Model S, I don't care what the key looks like so long as it is small, light, and I never have to touch it or take it out of my pocket--seamless access and use is more important to the ownership experience than a negligible difference in replacement key cost.

• Like x 8
  15. Alketi

Alketi Member

Does anyone know if the current Tesla Android app allows you to put an "unlock doors" Widget on the homescreen? Or does the app need to be opened every time?

• Helpful x 1
  16. Petra

Petra Member

Unlock phone, launch app, wait for the app to connect to the car, issue command from app, and wait a sec for car to respond is how the dance usually goes. No widget--just checked and didn't see anything.

17. cdub

cdub Future Model 3 owner / Current original Leaf owner

Swipe it against the door? No that stinks and is step back from my Leaf.

• Like x 4
  18. Alketi

Alketi Member

That's exactly what I thought (feared). Sounds like a 5-10 second dance, to wait for everything to unlock/launch/connect, depending on internet connectivity. Compared with reaching in my pocket now and pressing a button on a FOB without looking.

• Like x 1
  19. cdub

cdub Future Model 3 owner / Current original Leaf owner

Maybe it'll do a proximity bluetooth to open with your phone?

20. Stolz25

Stolz25 Member

It is pretty much standard in new cars that you don't have to touch the fob to get in. There isn't much that would make me reconsider buying the 3, but that would be one. I was so looking forward to not having to dig keys out while trying to shuffle two kids into the car.

• Like x 1