Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It can't be NFC, as IOS devices don't allow 3rd-party use of the NFC chip, it's reserved for ApplePay. I agree with others, it must be BLE, and the range is adjustable by moderating the power, but it appears to be a vague science at best. The MX key also uses BLE, but it also had RFID, so I'm not sure anyone has figured out exactly which tech it's using. It's early days, they'll have to release a regular key for all the edge-cases (which aren't that edgy, i.e. dead phone, Windows/BB users, etc). Normally at this point I'd say have some faith in Tesla, they're going to make sure it works, unless they're pushing stuff out the door to meet the dates expected by the market.

It can't be NFC, as IOS devices don't allow 3rd-party use of the NFC chip, it's reserved for ApplePay. I agree with others, it must be BLE, and the range is adjustable by moderating the power, but it appears to be a vague science at best. The MX key also uses BLE, but it also had RFID, so I'm not sure anyone has figured out exactly which tech it's using. It's early days, they'll have to release a regular key for all the edge-cases (which aren't that edgy, i.e. dead phone, Windows/BB users, etc). Normally at this point I'd say have some faith in Tesla, they're going to make sure it works, unless they're pushing stuff out the door to meet the dates expected by the market.
iOS 11 opens up the NFC reader. However, I don't think that would be enough for this application - in this case the car is the reader and the phone would have to respond.

Anyone could get into your car from like up to a football field away potentially, just because the signal was there.
Then that is not acceptable. It is more trouble to get into the car using an app than what I currently do in my 10 year old Vibe. Or the car I had before that, or before that...

I have the Kevo lock on my cabin so I can have friends go up before me and get in with a key I email them for their phone. When you set up the app it has you put the phone where you normally wear it and it scans the signal strength. So if the phone is in my coat it won't open, but if it's in my pocket it will. So if this is true of the Tesla there will not be a time when the rapist gets in the passenger door while you are escaping into your car. I know the key fobs use local antenna on cars so you cannot open the trunk when you are standing next to the passenger door. This could be done for your phones as well.

The downside of using my phone for the cabin is I often have to force quit the app to get in. Perhaps there will be a firmware update. Perhaps there will be a time when we no longer carry phones, will suck to still have a car that uses a phone as a key. Just carry your old phone to get into that old car...

-Randy

I wonder how walk away lock will work with this BT setup. It's dicey enough now on the S with a fob that I don't use it for fear of locking myself out. If the car unpairs with my phone sitting in the seat when I hop out to grab the mail and my nfc card is sitting in my purse still in the seat, and the doors lock I am going to be an unhappy camper.

My phone (Galaxy S8) already has enough trouble staying paired with the Pebble and fitbit on my wrists.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
I wonder how walk away lock will work with this BT setup. It's dicey enough now on the S with a fob that I don't use it for fear of locking myself out. If the car unpairs with my phone sitting in the seat when I hop out to grab the mail and my nfc card is sitting in my purse still in the seat, and the doors lock I am going to be an unhappy camper.

My phone (Galaxy S8) already has enough trouble staying paired with the Pebble and fitbit on my wrists.
Good question....How would you lock the doors? Will I have to pull out my phone or card?

There doesn't seem to be a button on the outside door handles like todays fobbed ICE cars.

For me, the card would stay in wallet in pocket so you have a back up. Not as easy with a purse though.

What? I don't understand.

You can't lock a keyfob in the car. The doors won't lock. I wouldn't think you could lock a card in the car either.

In a Tesla you can lock the fob in if the fob was left too close to your phone.

Card doesn't have the range of the fob from the sound of it.

This. Nfc has a range of inches not feet

Reactions: dgpcolorado
That doesn't make any sense. That sounds like a malfunction to me.....not a design.

Welcome to the cutting edge of Tesla ownership. Lots of "features" we just get used to because the car is awesome. Sure my Lexus had a bullet proof "never lock the fob in the car" mechanism, but Tesla not so much.

But, I don't care as Elon so succinctly stated. I just turned off walk away lock and keep the fob hanging on a ring outside my purse so I can access it easier.

We will see how well the new access works when the cars get out into the wild. If it's crazy bad Tesla will fix it. The current fob issue just hasn't raised to that level yet. It's a relatively rare occurrence, it's just when it does happen to a purse carrying owner, you are left stranded without a phone or a key, so I would rather not chance it.

Last edited:
This RFID card will likely interfere with the one I have in my wallet for work so they just made my mornings more inconvenient. Thanks. I've tried to keep two in my wallet in the past and neither one ended up working while still in it.
This has been my experience in the past when I had two RFID cards for work. I currently have one, and adding a second for the car may or may not work (more likely to not fail if using totally different frequencies, which seems likely)

This has been my experience in the past when I had two RFID cards for work. I currently have one, and adding a second for the car may or may not work (more likely to not fail if using totally different frequencies, which seems likely)

I also have several rfid cards for work. I keep one of those blocker sleeves between them in my badge holder and that seems to work well enough. I imagine something similar would work for the car card in your wallet