Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. This is clearly a cost savings, though I'm happy if my phone works like a fob. One less thing to carry.
Maybe you can help me. I just posted this in another thread somewhere.

If my phone is connected via Bluetooth to my headphones....I wonder if my phone can Bluetooth to multiple things at once because if my headphones are paired with my phone keeping my phone from locking my car....then maybe I can make my car interrupt my headphone connection to my phone to lock the car and then re-attach.......

Arrgghhhh. This is too much thinking.

Does the M3 also have a 12VDC battery? If so, how would one get into the car with a dead 12VDC battery?
It certainly has a 12V power source. It lists it in in the Convince section at the bottom.

Or did you think Elon said something about it last night....ha...ha.....ha <------ that's a funny I just made there because he hardly said squat last night.

Convenience

o Onboard maps and navigation

o Wi-Fi and LTE internet connectivity

o Keyless entry and remote climate control using the Tesla app

o Voice activated controls

o Bluetooth hands-free calling and media streaming

o 60/40 split folding rear seat to maximize cargo options

o Back-up camera

o Auto dimming rear-view mirror

o One-touch power windows throughout

o Power-adjustable side mirrors

o 12-volt power outlet

Maybe you can help me. I just posted this in another thread somewhere.

If my phone is connected via Bluetooth to my headphones....I wonder if my phone can Bluetooth to multiple things at once because if my headphones are paired with my phone keeping my phone from locking my car....then maybe I can make my car interrupt my headphone connection to my phone to lock the car and then re-attach.......

Arrgghhhh. This is too much thinking.

You can pair with multiple things, but the phone will decide which to favor. If they are both trying to take over the same function (stereo and headphones) you can have issues. I know my phone favors my wife's car over mine, so if we leave at the same time my phone plays music over her car until it gets out of range, then connects the audio over to mine.

I would think with something like this it wouldn't really be a problem, unless you had your phone linked to two model 3s.

Does the M3 also have a 12VDC battery? If so, how would one get into the car with a dead 12VDC battery?
Break the window?

Seriously, I'd guess you would have to open the frunk and jump the car to get the 12 V system working to unlock it. I presume that a dead 12 V doesn't mean that it defaults to unlock. Lots of things to check when we have some cars to play with!

You can pair with multiple things, but the phone will decide which to favor. If they are both trying to take over the same function (stereo and headphones) you can have issues. I know my phone favors my wife's car over mine, so if we leave at the same time my phone plays music over her car until it gets out of range, then connects the audio over to mine.

I would think with something like this it wouldn't really be a problem, unless you had your phone linked to two model 3s.
Its going to be a probem IF

IF I expect my Model 3 to be locked and it isn't because my headphones become the priority over my Model 3.

But isn't Bluetooth Bluetooth no matter what the function is.

In other words. I have a Bluetooth mouse on my laptop. I can't Bluetooth anything else for some reason. Maybe the Bluetooth in my laptop is broken or old.

From an iPhone thread:
"Old" Bluetooth Standards - possible to use 1 device at a time - several can be paired (ie prepared for usage)

New LE or Bluetooth 4.0 standard - Apple says 7 simultaneous devices at a time ( test shows up to 10 but not supported) - atleast 12 can be paired ( ie prepared for usage) and in theory unlimited ( it depends though on the memory in the device and iDevice)

Sounds like this shouldn't be a problem on newer devices.

• Informative
Reactions: StapleGun
But isn't Bluetooth Bluetooth no matter what the function is.

In other words. I have a Bluetooth mouse on my laptop. I can't Bluetooth anything else for some reason. Maybe the Bluetooth in my laptop is broken or old.
Regular Bluetooth can only have up to 7 active devices (keyboard, mouse, etc) connected to a given host device (i.e. your laptop). This is why for example on the Playstation you can't have more than 7 players on a game, because you can't pair another active controller.

Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), if used instead of regular BT (likely for a few reasons), doesn't have this problem (it is structured quite a bit differently - it's really only Bluetooth in name).

From an iPhone thread:
"Old" Bluetooth Standards - possible to use 1 device at a time - several can be paired (ie prepared for usage)

New LE or Bluetooth 4.0 standard - Apple says 7 simultaneous devices at a time ( test shows up to 10 but not supported) - atleast 12 can be paired ( ie prepared for usage) and in theory unlimited ( it depends though on the memory in the device and iDevice)

Sounds like this shouldn't be a problem on newer devices.
OMG....

Not only do we need a smartphone....We need a new one. Geesh. lol

Keycard is NFC but phones will use BT connection.
Likely BT antenna will have appropriate range, not maximum range possible.
In case of phone failure, one can use backup keycard in the wallet.
Card must touch some surface on the vehicle. I suspect plastic B-pillar between two door windows.
In case of keycard left home one can use a phone.
In case of dead 12V battery one can open the frunk (most likely pull cord
is under the front tow hook cover like we saw on one picture) to get to
12V battery to jump start the vehicle (aka close the contactor).

Regular Bluetooth can only have up to 7 active devices (keyboard, mouse, etc) connected to a given host device (i.e. your laptop). This is why for example on the Playstation you can't have more than 7 players on a game, because you can't pair another active controller.

Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), if used instead of regular BT (likely for a few reasons), doesn't have this problem (it is structured quite a bit differently - it's really only Bluetooth in name).

Yup, this.

Although most systems support only one audio device.

I'm not a big fan of using my cell phone for access. It's too unreliable - just itself, never mind with a radio-based app - and with so many different phones and versions on the market, I can imagine compatibility issues too. Needing to upgrade my phone when I upgrade my car? Please, no.

As a father of two daughters, I'm also not a fan of having the car unlock automatically from any sort of distance, especially if ALL doors are unlocked together. Too much of a security issue (bad person hiding on the other side of the car can get in when you do). So, BT app is a no-go for me.

But, what's preventing one from "old school", punching a hole in the corner of the key card and slipping it onto your keyring? Leave the phone app disabled, have the card in your hand, tap on the B-pillar, get in and go. That, I think, can work.

Reactions: N5329K and MP3Mike