Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Feature Requests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's one I came up with:

In the trunk, have a connector for a battery pack that you can use as a "gas can". Integrate it to look like it belongs in the interior (Carpet...whatever). You can either sell them as an accessory, or rent them to people looking to take a longer trip. Place the pack in your trunk, connect it, and the car will recognize the added battery capacity and give you charging options on your screen. You can integrate it software-wise to either be used in tandem as a semi-permanent performance boost, or a reserve battery that isn't drawn on until the main pack gets low.

Could be especially useful for cold climates and taking long trips.

Integrate the DC-DC converter into the pack to provide an always-on 12V supply to eliminate vampire drain without keeping the HV contactors energized all the time/supplying HV outside of the pack boundary.

I think its a requirement in some jurisdictions to have a separate low volt battery in BEV's. And I think that is the only reason Tesla has a 12v battery.

I think its a requirement in some jurisdictions to have a separate low volt battery in BEV's. And I think that is the only reason Tesla has a 12v battery.
I'm not sure if it is a requirement to have a 12V battery, or if that's just an implementation of the requirement that the HV system not be energized (external to the pack) when the car is off. The 12V is used to bootstrap the car by energizing the HV contactors.

I'm envisioning two DC outputs from the pack - one 12V always on, and one switched HV.

If the 12V battery needs to be kept and they want the main DC-DC external to the pack (maybe for easy serviceability), they could add a small DC-DC/float charger inside the pack that just feeds the vampire and keeps the 12V from cycling excessively.

I'm not sure if it is a requirement to have a 12V battery, or if that's just an implementation of the requirement that the HV system not be energized (external to the pack) when the car is off.

Then we are two that is not sure here :) I have thought along the same lines as you for a long time, but from my understanding of what I have picked up it is indeed an requirement with an separate low voltage source. But I can't say anything for sure.

Then we are two that is not sure here :) I have thought along the same lines as you for a long time, but from my understanding of what I have picked up it is indeed an requirement with an separate low voltage source. But I can't say anything for sure.
In all cars including EVs, it needs something to run the car before motive power is engaged. All EVs have the same issue as ICE in this regard.
They need low voltage to enable all the equipment that SAFELY enables the high voltage side.
Really risky integrating the high voltage source with the low voltage.

In all cars including EVs, it needs something to run the car before motive power is engaged. All EVs have the same issue as ICE in this regard.
They need low voltage to enable all the equipment that SAFELY enables the high voltage side.
Yep, no one's disputing that.
Really risky integrating the high voltage source with the low voltage.
How does my proposal of moving the DC-DC converter inside the pack housing become "really risky" - what's risky?

Two separate contactors, connected in parallel on the input side to the HV battery. First contactor switches on/off the external HV connection (ie, this is the current single contactor). The second one switches power to the integrated DC-DC converter/float charger, and controls the new 12V terminals on the pack.

When the car is "off", the first contactor is off, but the second one is on. HV system is de-energized, but the 12V still has power, allowing the main traction pack to "feed the vampire"/trickle charge the 12V battery (if present).

Existing systems need a 12V battery as a source of bootstrap power, since there is no facility to get safe, low voltage power directly from the traction pack (no second set of terminals on the traction pack). The only current source of 12V power is the 12V battery (if the car is off), or the external DC-DC converter (which requires the entire HVDC bus to be energized).

Here's one: assuming they keep a 12V battery (and there are good reasons for it), use a Li-Ion 12V. Get rid of all that damn toxic lead.

I expect them to have better designed ductwork for cabin heating/cooling/dehumidifcation. They've had some trouble getting that right.

- - - Updated - - -

All I can say is colors!!! I know the mass market will want it's white/grey/black and dark reds/greens/blues variations... but a charge for some brighter (but not gaudy) colors would be awesome!!!

Viper blue, that gm burnt orange, a nice yellow, a funky green, etc. etc. Bring some life into this thing!!!

I'd like purple too! (Like George R R Martin has.)

I'd love to see faster charge times, especially Supercharging.
15 minutes to 80% and 30 minutes to 100%.
It is mostly wishful thinking, in the short term, I know. Yet, I can't shake off this feeling that there will be a big announcement on reduced charge times with the new batteries & pack architecture.

I'd love to see faster charge times, especially Supercharging.
15 minutes to 80% and 30 minutes to 100%.
It is mostly wishful thinking, in the short term, I know. Yet, I can't shake off this feeling that there will be a big announcement on reduced charge times with the new batteries & pack architecture.

Yeah, at some point they will have to decide how to market the current charging times. From my point of view, they are fast enough, and I really don't need them any faster. Nor do I need more range than the 250m+ that S and X have. But, sadly, the general public still thinks of "I have to go to the charging station every few days and wait an hour there" and until the people understand that is not how things work, they'll have to figure out how to tell the story...

Yeah, at some point they will have to decide how to market the current charging times. From my point of view, they are fast enough, and I really don't need them any faster. Nor do I need more range than the 250m+ that S and X have. But, sadly, the general public still thinks of "I have to go to the charging station every few days and wait an hour there" and until the people understand that is not how things work, they'll have to figure out how to tell the story...
Faster charge time could almost be achieved just with larger batteries - kinda
A larger better will allow more miles to be stuffed in there before the inevitable taper starts.
So it can add more miles before the charge rate slows down.
However combining that with a smaller battery package doesn't seem at all likely

True; I'm arguing that the majority of the people that are worried about charge times don't drive an EV with 200+ miles of range. Sure, faster is always better, but being alone at a Supercharger is fast enough for me, given the frequency and length of long trips. And everyone I know that has asked me "how long does it take to charge" does even fewer and shorter road trips. People just keep thinking of it as driving to a gas station, as often as they currently do, but now spending an hour there instead of 5 minutes, and that's just a wrong way to think about it.

True; I'm arguing that the majority of the people that are worried about charge times don't drive an EV with 200+ miles of range. Sure, faster is always better, but being alone at a Supercharger is fast enough for me, given the frequency and length of long trips. And everyone I know that has asked me "how long does it take to charge" does even fewer and shorter road trips. People just keep thinking of it as driving to a gas station, as often as they currently do, but now spending an hour there instead of 5 minutes, and that's just a wrong way to think about it.

That's why you mention it's like an iPad, every morning you wake up and it's full. Use it all day like you normally would and plug back in at night. Need to go on a trip, stop for 20mins and and have a washroom break you'll get a free charge while your relaxing.