Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 for college kid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently reserved the Tesla Model 3. My question here is, would it be reasonable to gift this car to my son as his first car? He has saved up 15k so far and his mother and I have agreed to pay for the rest.
He's obviously very excited about the car seeing all the hype it's caused. I'm just wondering how convenient would it be to own this car in college? He plans on going to University of Pennsylvania, if accepted. If not, he will probably settle for our state university. The long trips back and forth with the constant wait for supercharging when gas can be filled up within a matter of minutes really tempts me not to buy it for him. I'm also wondering how convenient would it be to charge it IN college? He's not going to have a place where he can plug in his charger directly into the wall since it requires it to be set up (correct me if I'm wrong, not very familiar with Tesla), so he's forced to rely on the super chargers located near him.
What would you guys recommend?

Do what you want to do. If you think he is fit and will be responsible, why not?
It's not about that. It's about the convenience. I trust my son completely to assume no wrong doing will come out of this car. I just want an overall explanation, preferably from someone who owns a Tesla in college (which I'm guessing there are very few of), telling me what life with a Tesla is like in college. The charging situation is my main concern.

I think the question was whether the car is suited for the environment it would be going in.

If there are charge ports at the dorms, then I'd say it's a fine choice. Otherwise it would be a hassle to charge, I think. Obviously if he's staying home for college then its a no-brainer. He can charge at home.

I am not sure what you or your son's situation is but...

I wonder if he would be better served by an old Volt or Leaf that already has a good bit of depreciation, put the savings towards his studies. Besides, by the time he graduates his vehicle needs may have changed drastically.

Though, at least with my undergrad campus, EV charging stations were in the best parking locations!

A fair bit of speculation about logistics which may or may not be a known quantity until it's too late, if it turns out not to be compatible with his dorm location, which can change, possible off-campus living in subsequent years, or daily schedule...possible classes mid-day and some at night after the first year, interrupting the charging sequence or too late for availability with other EVs already hooked up?

I assume you have already considered the issue of such an extravagant purchase for an 18 year old, the social effect on his new friends/classmates in used or more modest new vehicles, and depriving him of the later reward of earning this on his own....so on logistics of charging alone, he's going into a potentially very inconvenient situation with little, if any, upside.

I'd get him something more modest, conventional, and with proven low-distraction/high reliability, as his focus of attention should be in the classroom, not on his car, for these 4 years.

Last edited:
I am planning to get one for my son (though he will be a Senior not just starting). Most universities have good L2 charging capabilities so they can be a supplement to Supercharging. Of course, you probably won't see someone with experience with a Tesla at a college campus (because a Model S or X are not in the budget range for college students) but I see quite a few kids at my son's school with Leafs and other electric vehicles.

Second the opinion to go for a used plugin hybrid instead to help him ease into the experience and to deal with any unknowns or unexpected situations.

That apart, I'm sure you trust your son but, college can be a tricky period, dealing with peer pressure, etc. Giving him a high-powered car like the Model 3 could be a dicey thing. Let him earn the right to it with a spotless driving record through college with a used plugin hybrid as above?! Maybe, help him get an AWD Model 3 or Y in 4 years when he gets a job or gets into grad school?!

#endofunsolicitedadvice

Reactions: EVCollies and DR61
How much will he need a car while he's at college? Will he get tapped to be the designated driver all the time because he has the cool Tesla? Will it become a distraction from his studies? A Model 3 would make a great college graduation gift... something for him to look forward to, especially if there are some performance goals to strive for.

Reactions: DR61 and Sportstick
Seeing as you just reserved now and most likely are not a current Tesla owner and located on the east coast, you probably have 12-18 months before even need to make the decision. Keep in mind, we don't know how supercharger access will be yet for the 3. It won't be free but some yearly allowance may be and then have to pay after that.

My opinion, it is not a wise decision. I'm sure the car would be parked most of the time and not keeping plug in will constantly drain the battery. Big concern is during winter being parked outside and not plugged in. Battery does not like to be cold.

You can buy a used Leaf for under $10k. Your son could pay for it in cash and have plenty left over. Used Chevy Volt hybrid is good choice too. Can get pretty cheap as well. Of course neither of those are as cool as the 3.

Reactions: Canuck and DR61