Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 for college kid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate all the responses so far. They have been extremely helpful in contemplating whether or not I want to send him off to college with a Tesla. Note: I did mention that he is pitching in 15k of his own money, as well as the money he will be earning this year by working. If we are one of the people lucky enough to get the tax incentive, or even a partial tax incentive, that could cut the car cost for us down to $12,500 and have him, and tax breaks pay the rest.
My son has never been a fan of other hybrid cars such as the Prius, or fully electric vehicles like the BMW i3. Tesla really caught his eye this year with their innovations and sleek designs- which wasn't very common in electric vehicles until now.
College tuition shouldn't be a problem at the moment unless he chooses/gets accepted to UPenn. If not, he will surely be able to get a full ride (or close) to our state university. In that case he will only be about 2 hours away making the drive back home much easier on him when it comes to charging and convenience.
I guess the next step is to call or consult colleges on what EV charging capabilities they have on campus. He's going to be getting the standard model so the max mileage on it will be about 210 (right?), not 300.
He has worked diligently for the past 3 years, in and out of school, and I feel like gifting him this car (or paying partially for it) wouldn't cause any harm. He's not one of the kinds of people to get distracted by the type of car he has. He's using the Tesla purely for its electric point of view; Otherwise his original idea was to buy a reliable Toyota so that it would last him some time.
Still deciding so I'll see.

I appreciate all the responses so far. They have been extremely helpful in contemplating whether or not I want to send him off to college with a Tesla. Note: I did mention that he is pitching in 15k of his own money, as well as the money he will be earning this year by working. If we are one of the people lucky enough to get the tax incentive, or even a partial tax incentive, that could cut the car cost for us down to $12,500 and have him, and tax breaks pay the rest.
My son has never been a fan of other hybrid cars such as the Prius, or fully electric vehicles like the BMW i3. Tesla really caught his eye this year with their innovations and sleek designs- which wasn't very common in electric vehicles until now.
College tuition shouldn't be a problem at the moment unless he chooses/gets accepted to UPenn. If not, he will surely be able to get a full ride (or close) to our state university. In that case he will only be about 2 hours away making the drive back home much easier on him when it comes to charging and convenience.
I guess the next step is to call or consult colleges on what EV charging capabilities they have on campus. He's going to be getting the standard model so the max mileage on it will be about 210 (right?), not 300.
He has worked diligently for the past 3 years, in and out of school, and I feel like gifting him this car (or paying partially for it) wouldn't cause any harm. He's not one of the kinds of people to get distracted by the type of car he has. He's using the Tesla purely for its electric point of view; Otherwise his original idea was to buy a reliable Toyota so that it would last him some time.

As one whose kids are now in their 30s, may I offer congratulations on an apparently responsible, smart, and reasonable young man! Well done, parents!

Reactions: gavine
It might make other posters jealous, but a Model3 is going to be 2nd- or 3rd- safest car on the road after the S & X. Considering that in this age range the greatest probability of something happening to your son comes from a car accident, I think that a Model 3 is a great investment if you can afford it.

Reactions: gavine
I would not send an 18-year old to college in a $40,000 car, electric or not. Better to wait until graduation, and as a bonus, it will be a far better car. Both of my daughters attended Ivy League schools (as Penn is) and they found bicycles perfectly suited the student lifestyle.

If you think he really needs an electric car, a used Leaf makes more sense. You can get them cheaply and there is little theft risk.

Charging stations at Penn are just two Blink L2 stations. According to their website, Blink charges high rates: "Fees for Level 2 EV chargers will range from $0.39 to $0.79 per kWh, depending on the state and the customer’s membership status. Fees for DC fast chargers will range from $0.49 to $0.69 per kWh." That's about 12 to 24 cents per mile.

As a guy in the late twenties, I started with the used old Camry back when I was a teen. Slowly built up my car as I progressed to have more income.

Fortunately, back then Tesla wasn't there and I wasn't that interested in cars anyway.

I am glad I was born earlier, otherwise I would be distracted by Tesla Model S in my studies and other necessities. Because that monster looks very sexy.

I wouldn't. It comes down to the comment earlier about the environment the car is in. The car won't be driven much, and for long periods in between, which means that vampire drain will be a constant issue. If he can't be guaranteed a parking spot with charging (remember, a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla), then he's going to be constantly having to manage its battery. This will especially be a challenge when it gets really cold, and the battery has to burn electrons in order to stay warm. Besides, the car will be a magnet for all kinds of things - good (as you note) and bad (vandalism). And chicks :). Not sure which category to put them in.

Buy it now (your money), but make it a graduation present for him. And you drive it in the mean time, and let him borrow it from time to time over the summer as a reminder to keep his grades up.

Reactions: tgal
I assume you have already considered the issue of such an extravagant purchase for an 18 year old, the social effect on his new friends/classmates in used or more modest new vehicles, and depriving him of the later reward of earning this on his own...

For UPenn, a Model 3 isn't going to stand out as particularly extravagant. Shoot, it wouldn't have been even at my state school.

As for logistics, it sounds like it's too much of a hassle at UPenn. I imagine it's going to be a hassle at all colleges while in the dorms. Later, can he rent a house (not an apartment)? Then, he'd have a private garage and you can pay for a 14-50 plug to be installed if need be.

I'm going to echo others here and say that with current charging networks it's going to be a hassle for him. He may be excited about the Model 3 now, but when he gets to college it's going to be a burden. There is going to be so much going on, so much individual growth and new experiences, that the Model 3 is going to be sidelined. If I were in his shoes I'd be right there with him, believe me, a Model 3 in college would have seemed fantastic...but a practical college vehicle it is not.

It pained me to write that, but I don't feel it's in his best interest to get a Model 3 at this point. Of course, maybe UPenn will invest in on-campus charging before your reservation comes up...but I wouldn't count on it.