Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me be clear I have no information whether a Model 3 will have a frunk or not but I have been giving it some thought lately. Since the Model 3 will have a shorter wheelbase than a Model S or Model X and will presumably come with the "D" that sure doesn't leave much room for any useable frunk space. I know there will be slightly less interior room but I would much rather give up the frunk than usable leg room in the back. Additionally, if a model 3 does not have a frunk it would help differentiate a Model S and solidify the increase value proposition. There would also be a cost saving of not having to design and trim-out the frunk. A small cost saving but every little bit helps. Also with no frunk you no longer need the hood to open. You could get pretty creative with the front end if you didn't have to work around a hood opening. This may make it difficult to work on the front powertrain but I'm sure Tesla could figure it out. Just some thoughts now that the reveal is getting closer.

I don't see how you can pass front collision standards without a long nose for a crumple zone. If you have the nose, you might as well use it for a frunk.

I'm not talking about eliminating a nose. The "D" Frunk is maybe a grocery bag wide. There is still plenty of front end to the car. Now reduce the wheel base by 30%. Now you can maybe fit a 3rd of a grocery bag width. Is that little bit of space really worth all the expensive and effort of trimming it out a creating a hood that open and closes.

Got it. Off the top of my head, you would need to relocate the brake and washer fluid reservoirs. Brake fluid might be tricky, since you won't be able to gravity feed the master cylinder. You'd also need to relocate any service items (fuse box, 12V battery) that would be accessed through the hood.

Here is how Chevrolet designed the Bolt's front. I expect Tesla will do a whole lot better.

bolt front.PNG

bolt front2.PNG

I thought the Bolt was fully electric :confused:.....Wow, I had to do a double take. Looks like it still has an ICE.
Wow, looks like they left a few things on there for the dealership "service" depts to "fix". You know, the Framitz arm on the Maniform, stuff like that.
Btw, our LEAF has never gone in for any repair of any kind. 40,000 mi. :smile: but no frunk, cuz it looks a lot like that bolt drawing on the inside.

Pictures of Model 3 from the reveal
Ce7oRJeWAAAsKjU.jpg:large

The frunk hood looks quite substantial, almost like a structural part? Or perhaps there is room for pedestrian airbags? And with that kind of thickness the trunk should keep its temperature nice and steady. Good for keeping groceries cool.

Did anyone have the opportunity to measure or at least have an educated guess of the frunk space dimensions and frunk hood thickness?
Hmm looks like someone could make a killing designing some fitted luggage for the frunk to utilize all the corners

For the Model S, they started out with RWD only, so the frunk was sized accordingly (with the bonus "microwave" storage space). When they later came out with the D model, the frunk size was reduced to accommodate the front motor. Since the Model 3 was announced at the get-go with both RWD and AWD variants, I'm wondering if they will offer just a single frunk size to simplify manufacturing and parts inventory? In other words, is it possible the RWD won't get a bigger frunk than the AWD?

Reactions: MP3Mike
The M3 will have more storage space than anything in it's class due to the fact that an ICE is about half the size of a refrigerator and a motor is the size of a coffee can. It will honestly probably have more space than my Focus ST, but without the hatch :-(

For the Model S, they started out with RWD only, so the frunk was sized accordingly (with the bonus "microwave" storage space). When they later came out with the D model, the frunk size was reduced to accommodate the front motor. Since the Model 3 was announced at the get-go with both RWD and AWD variants, I'm wondering if they will offer just a single frunk size to simplify manufacturing and parts inventory? In other words, is it possible the RWD won't get a bigger frunk than the AWD?
That seems likely to me too. Might be something they are forced to do anyways to get cars out in time. However, I would be fine with this. I'm primarily concerned about the rear trunk opening size. Since I have never owned a car with a frunk, it's a pure bonus for me, and what is shown in the picture seems plenty big for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tree95