Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 gets perfect 5 star safety rating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That'll buff out

IMG_6094.JPG

Tesla's safety rating in public is definitely underrated!

Many don't know how safe these cars are.

They are still in the mindset that Big gas guzzling truck and SUV is the safest.

Actually one person made fun of my car recently, "Does that car still catch fire?" #FACEPALM#

Tesla's safety rating in public is definitely underrated!

Many don't know how safe these cars are.

They are still in the mindset that Big gas guzzling truck and SUV is the safest.

Actually one person made fun of my car recently, "Does that car still catch fire?" #FACEPALM#

That's true, the safety of all Teslas seems to fly under the radar. Now I can tell my wife I am purchasing the car for SAFETY reasons. Has nothing to do with the speed, agility, looks, tech, and perma-grins...

So I was really excited by this, and about to tell a friend at work who might buy a Tesla.

He has currently has a Mustang so I went to compare, but the Mustang also got 5 stars.

Email not sent.

I guess I'll wait for the IIHS test, but the Model 3 has already effectively failed a TSP+ rating because the lights aren't good enough. I'm not sure what's wrong with the lights because they seem great to me at least on my build.

I'm confused. I attempted to look up the information and cannot find it: I thought all vehicles needed to be crash tested before they entered production and sales to the consumer: Is this a second crash test?

I can't find the answer either.

There is this, but the answer is incomplete/wrong as the Model 3 was clearly crash tested after.
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-legal-to-sell-new-cars-that-havent-been-crash-tested-yet

It is entirely possible that there is a non-public crash testing done by Tesla to get approval from the NHTSA. Then later on they put it through the 5 star testing.

I'm not sure how good a car has to do in order to be sold. I have a Jeep Wrangler that quite frankly does piss poor on pretty much every test. It's a fun vehicle, but it's not going to be saving my life in a crash.