Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 glass roof question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember someone saying that although an all glass back is slightly more expensive, it simplifies production. It's much easier to slap on pieces of glass than to weld on more pieces of metal. This is why I think the all-glass roof will be default with an optional metal or panoramic roof.
I hope so! I want a Jetsons car, but I'd rather not have to pay extra to get it.

1386012017000-car.jpg

It's much easier to slap on pieces of glass than to weld on more pieces of metal. This is why I think the all-glass roof will be default with an optional metal or panoramic roof.

Very little chance of that.
For most consumers, glass roof is perceived to be an upgrade. It is likely that the glass roof would be part of the "premium package", and retractable sunroof as an option with additional cost.

I remember someone saying that although an all glass back is slightly more expensive, it simplifies production. It's much easier to slap on pieces of glass than to weld on more pieces of metal. This is why I think the all-glass roof will be default with an optional metal or panoramic roof.
If the center glass section of the 3 roof is glass in the base model, I will be surprised. I doubt a piece of curved, auto safety rated, properly tinted glass would be cheaper than welding on a piece of metal and installing a headliner. But I know nothing about automobile manfacturing, so obviously I could be wrong.

If there is anyone here with demonstrated experience in auto manufacturer who would like to offer their opinion, that would be appreciated.

But I bet you do care about rearward visibility. Have you driven a Model S? The view through the liftback is both short and narrow. The Model 3 backlight will open up the view considerably.
While it is true that the rear visibility of the S is limited, with the rear camera it is almost irrelevant. I can see the car behind me well enough; if I want to get a better view I can turn on the camera. For backing up I always use the camera and the guidelines.

Given that Teslas usually have to back-in to charge — although why they designed it that way baffles me — the rear camera is crucial and the proximity sensors are very helpful.

As was very clearly and correctly stated in post #12, the rearmost piece of glass will be the same for all cars and will extend from the B pillars to the trunk lid. There will be no options for this piece of glass. It will be fixed in place. The only optional piece of the roof will be the small piece between the A and B pillars, over the driver and front passenger. It will most likely be metal standard, and either fixed or sliding glass as options.

Reactions: geoffreak
You'd imagine picking a good spot for the outlet in your garage or bringing the 20ft charging cable would work just fine without backing into a space. I wouldn't know though, I'm not rich enough for a Model S.
Fair point when it comes to home charging. But when charging away from home the cables are often not long enough to reach the back of the car. And the vast majority of Superchargers require backing in:

25990937775_2b74ab2692_z.jpg

^Moab, Utah

Regardless, the Model 3 will have a rear camera and I expect that you will find it very useful.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffK
As was very clearly and correctly stated in post #12, the rearmost piece of glass will be the same for all cars and will extend from the B pillars to the trunk lid. There will be no options for this piece of glass. It will be fixed in place. The only optional piece of the roof will be the small piece between the A and B pillars, over the driver and front passenger. It will most likely be metal standard, and either fixed or sliding glass as options.

I should have made it clearer in my original post, but my last sentence refers to that middle section, not the back.

Reactions: plankeye