Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the front and rear ones (from China) and instead of going out and listening to my cars fan running full, the car is dead silent and the vampire drain has ended. We may still get some hotter days, but this has made a BIG change from last summer and earlier this year before I got the shades. I do park with the rear of the car towards the sun, so I don't use any windshield shades.

I got the front and rear ones (from China) and instead of going out and listening to my cars fan running full, the car is dead silent and the vampire drain has ended. We may still get some hotter days, but this has made a BIG change from last summer and earlier this year before I got the shades. I do park with the rear of the car towards the sun, so I don't use any windshield shades.
This is most likely due to a software update rather than the shade. I notice the same thing, but parking in a garage. ;)

You noticed that your fan was not going on when you are in a garage? Why would that be the result of a software upgrade?
What I noticed is that vampire drain is reduced, and that the coolant pump runs a lot less than it used to when the car is parked.
Why would the interior ventilation fan go on at all in a garage??
It comes on when you park it after using the A/C (to dry the evaporator). But I'm assuming you were thinking of overheat protection?

Anyway, if your shades keep the car cooler, congrats. Mine gets as hot as ever when parked in the sun. The shade works well against glare and radiant heat from the glass though.

• Disagree
Reactions: Char
Hey does anyone have a part number for the little plastic clips that hold the Tesla front shade in place? I’ve had the shade for more than a year and the clips have gotten lost one by one to the point that they’re all gone and the shade no longer stays in place.

Just called Tesla to see if I could get replacements and they asked if I had a part number!

Thanks!

I got both the Tesla ones when I picked up my car in June. I don’t feel that they made a very big difference in reducing heat. YMMV, I’m in the northeast. Used them until end of August, then removed. The rear one in particular hurts visibility and headroom.

Would like to hear what HOT climate owners with shades have to say. (Palm Desert, Arizona, Vegas, Texas, Florida, etc...)
With the A/C that works so well in these cars I find that even parked outside during mid-summer day here in S.FL the cabin cools down VERY quickly and stays that way while driving.

Granted, I do have tint on all windows except the sunroof and that helps heat reduction immensely.

Forgive me if I'm not in the right forum but my brother has ordered shades (door shades) for his model 3 the bad part is they'd fall off if the door is opened but they're the same quality and mesh used by Tesla in making the roof shade.

Because everything out there (from static cling to roll up to over glass socks) is ultra meh. And these would do the job for us.

we found this website blinds4car where we emailed the owner and he got them manufactured for us!

can't wait for them to arrive!

We’ve had the Tesla sunshades for front and back since June and we’re very happy with them. We are also in So Cal, but we bought them primarily for several long trips that took us through the desert. I will probably take them out this month and put them back in next June. They take just a minute to install. The Tesla brand comes with a carrying case, so we can easily store them in the trunk.

Just installed these this morning, perfect fit and used the 4 clips in the front and the 6 clips in the rear, note that the rear shade is the whole glass, not half. Will wait till noon to go out and see how well it works, here’s the Amazon link.
BMZX Model 3 Car Sunroof Glass... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QTX6Z1Y?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

32C74043-0D64-481E-BBA6-15B7FDCD6636.jpeg

C9D7C90E-C299-47AC-B58A-42AAF2CE1B52.jpeg

Reactions: TheNeck and KenC

@Randy Spencer did you end up buying these?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QKX4D6S?tag=tmc064-20

If so how have they stacked up for you in the last 6 months or so?

I took the silver off at the end of the summer and then took the black layer off last fall and they have been waiting for me leaning against the water heater in the garage. I got the full kit, not the half kit you linked.

They didn't install perfectly, but it was really nice to have them. Had to figure out where in the channel the clips best held. Didn't find all the clips I lost on install until I took the shades off, silly me. The little rear window triangles are still on, I love them.

I took the silver off at the end of the summer and then took the black layer off last fall and they have been waiting for me leaning against the water heater in the garage. I got the full kit, not the half kit you linked.

They didn't install perfectly, but it was really nice to have them. Had to figure out where in the channel the clips best held. Didn't find all the clips I lost on install until I took the shades off, silly me. The little rear window triangles are still on, I love them.

Thanks for the update. Too bad it takes 3 weeks to ship.. do you know if there are any US stores that carry them, or something equivalent?