Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 30% tint on the top glass and just bought a set off of amazon. Took a 200 mile trip yesterday in the middle of the day in Texas and it made a huge improvement to how hard the AC was working. Will most likely keep them installed through the summer.

There is some argument that these shades shouldn't help that much because they don't reflect anything.

But based on your comments and several others it sounds like they do help.

I have both shades from Tesla. I have had way less issue with visibility than I expected. I didn't do much "A/B" testing.
I was thinking of maybe buying the shorter 3rd party set just for better visibility but it sounds like covering the bottom will probably still help maximize keeping things cooler. I will say my A/C usage on the wh/mi meter seems almost unnoticeable so far.

I think I'll stick with what I have.

I also have a Windshield Reflecting Shade for times I must park in the sun (which I generally try to avoid).

I've been very happy with the Tesla sunshade. I decided when I tinted the car to use clear film on the top glass just for added heat rejection so I could still have the light and airy feeling. It helped with the heat, but the sunshade helps even more and it also is nice when I don't feel like having a lot of light/glare during the middle of the day. Also helps to keep the car cooler when parked in the open. Would definitely purchase it again knowing what I know now.

I just received this one from Amazon.

$40.

The fit was not perfect but better than I expected. It came with 8 clips but I used only 6.
I kind of wish I had ordered the front+rear set for $80 instead, after seeing the quality of the front one.

25alqpi.jpg

California in the bay area’s slightly inland communities can get pretty hot. We were 106F last week. Hottest I’ve seen since living where I’m at was 113F and that’s not far from San Jose or the Pacific Coast. If the wind direction starts coming from the east over the ranges we can heat up pretty good. Heck even San Francisco which is thought of as chilly at time during the summer can get hot, peninsula and east bay as well. The more temperate areas don’t have AC usually since most of the year it is much more pleasant.

At least it’s usually a dry heat unlike the sauna heat I experienced in Chicago for example. OMG it could be high 80s there and feel much worst that our worst high temp dry heat in the 100s. Showering would be pointless as you could never get dry.

I do miss a sunroof in my Model 3. And both our cars have Tesla front sunshades.

Last edited:
Have both, bought both a week after the car purchase. I don’t really like glass or panoramic roofs that can’t have a cover over them. Not a current automotive trend I like.

I don’t find it makes a massive difference to the heat in the cabin, but it does some.

I mostly find it keeps the sun from getting in my eyes while driving.

It’s also good to have the shades if you have kids. If I decide to tint (which is likely) I will still likely keep the shades.

The only time I currently take them out is if we go for a scenic drive. Because we live in the mountains, we end up looking through the roof a lot.

Overall, I think they were a worthwhile purchase and would recommend.

Got them and tried them in high 90s weather. Worked great on our road trip up Northern California. They will stay on for the summer.
Any opinions on the Tesla branded shades vs third party like these on amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Sunshade-Overhead-Custom-Fit-Sunshades-Compatible/dp/B07Q9BC8K7

I bought the front shade of this brand from Amazon. Fits almost perfectly - a small gap on the back side but just minor and not a big deal - You will only notice it during the install but will forget all about that it right after.

Bumping this so I can review which shade to buy soon. I just got full ceramic tint, but my next road trip will need it and may have to start parking outside in Texas during the day soon.

I wouldn't expect it to do anything for parking. The body of the car is going to heat up and some fabric won't do anything to keep the car cool. It's the same issue with tint, it might make it cooler to your skin (not having heat beating down on you), but the glass heats up (in fact more then without tint) and that heat will radiate into the car.

With that said, it should do exactly what the name implies, shade you. I haven't been down to AZ/TX/SoCal with my Model 3, but in Washington state summer heat (when it's 100F outside at 2pm or something) I'm been wildly impressed with how well the top glass does to keep sun from bugging you. Obviously the cabin still gets brighter during those times, but it diffuses the light so well that for me it never feels like it's beating down. My head doesn't feel like it's being sunburned, it doesn't feel hotter then the rest of my body, it doesn't feel glaring or anything. It's impressive. I chose to not get any additional tint applied to the top glass because it seemed so good. I would say it's about 80% as good as Xpel XR+ tint at reducing the feeling of heat. Now if you want a darker cabin, the sunshade might help some, but I would think you would need to deeply tint the side windows as well (like 10% or lower).

I have to park mine outside in the sun quite a lot so I did get the front shade. I think it keeps it cooler. I also using aftermarket shades on the windshield. I have not got the rear shade since it seems like to much fuss to deploy and fold back up.

I bought the Tesla sun shades in May 2019, and they do a good job of reducing heat in the hot summer. Prior to installing I could feel heat radiating from the roof glass and after installation I haven't felt it since. Tinting with Xpel also worked wonders, parked interior temps don't go nearly as high.

• Informative
Reactions: sdowens1026
I actually have both the front and rear window shades. They have helped with both the overhead glare in your eyes when driving, and thermals when the car is parked in the sun.

I will probably take the shade out of the back now that the sun isn't as strong up here in New England. The loss in visibility isn't super terrible, but if the sun isn't scorching anymore, I'd rather have the visibility back.

Of course, now that Lil DreamCrusher (pet name for our firstborn) is weeks away from joining us, I'm happy to have the shade, in case I need it.