Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got the Tesla original sunshade for my Model 3. It does work as advertised, but I'm a little bit concerned about the fitment front/back. On the sides it fits pretty snug, but front back there will be a little "open" distance in the middle section of the roof. It's impossible to adjust for a perfect fitment. And before anyone ask - yes, it is mounted in the right direction :)

Anyone else who have the Tesla original shade who can confirm that it doesn't get better than this? or is it my shade in particular that is a bit off? If it is mine, I'll contact Tesla about it, but if every shade is like this I'll have to live with it.

Here are som pictures to show how it looks. Thanks in advance for any insights!

IMG_0441.jpeg
IMG_0442.jpeg
IMG_0443.jpeg

Hope this isn’t too off topic but has anyone got sunshades for the side windows as well? I just ordered these glass roof shades w/ insulation film: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086W7PBKQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AGO5Eb7XJBM4X but was looking for something similar for the side windows to use for a car camping trip.

I’ve seen a bunch of generic ones on amazon but none specific to the model 3
yes....I bought direct from Heat Shield in Gilory ( I think) (San Jose area)....They are the manufacturers and Evannex uses them....but double the price.....ecact same shade...

The side windows are great as well as the windshield......block out heat and are really nice.....much better buy from Heat Shield direct.....

yes....I bought direct from Heat Shield in Gilory ( I think) (San Jose area)....They are the manufacturers and Evannex uses them....but double the price.....ecact same shade...

The side windows are great as well as the windshield......block out heat and are really nice.....much better buy from Heat Shield direct.....
Yea I do remember seeing this a while back but don’t love the look of them. I know that doesn’t impact functionality but I was hoping there was a similar one to the one I linked to that could be used as a shade and then also have an insulation film to give you full coverage.

I recently got the Tesla original sunshade for my Model 3. It does work as advertised, but I'm a little bit concerned about the fitment front/back. On the sides it fits pretty snug, but front back there will be a little "open" distance in the middle section of the roof. It's impossible to adjust for a perfect fitment. And before anyone ask - yes, it is mounted in the right direction :)

Anyone else who have the Tesla original shade who can confirm that it doesn't get better than this? or is it my shade in particular that is a bit off? If it is mine, I'll contact Tesla about it, but if every shade is like this I'll have to live with it.

Here are som pictures to show how it looks. Thanks in advance for any insights!

View attachment 551428 View attachment 551431 View attachment 551432

My front one fits slightly better than yours, but also has a very slight gap. Just used it for the first time today actually. I don't really notice the gap, so don't mind it. My back one sags in the middle by the crossbeam, but on the rare occasions that I ever use it I suppose I won't notice since it's behind my head.

• Informative
Reactions: evster
Thanks for the replies! Seems like mine have a bit too much gap then. I think I might return it for this reason, plus that I actually do find 3rd party versions might be better. Came across this new video that compare the Tesla original shade and a 3rd party one. I do prefer the less light that is let in by the 3rd party. Actually it is a bit annoying with the large mesh holes in the Tesla original version.

Here is the informative video posted just recently:

Reactions: EVNation
Got myself Mixsuper sunshade from amazon, that was mentioned here. Got sold on by the reflective insert.
It does its job, now I don't feel the heat irradiated from the glass roof onto my head. And the climate overall improved, especially on the rear seats the air conditioning now is adequate.

Rear visibility did not suffer much, the wire stays in place so far.

The real drawback is that the mesh sags a couple of centimeters from the roof. I'm 182cm tall, had no problem fitting on a rear seat, but now when I am - I'm holding a mesh on my vertex.

Got myself Mixsuper sunshade from amazon, that was mentioned here. Got sold on by the reflective insert.
It does its job, now I don't feel the heat irradiated from the glass roof onto my head. And the climate overall improved, especially on the rear seats the air conditioning now is adequate.

Rear visibility did not suffer much, the wire stays in place so far.

The real drawback is that the mesh sags a couple of centimeters from the roof. I'm 182cm tall, had no problem fitting on a rear seat, but now when I am - I'm holding a mesh on my vertex.

I bought the Mixsuper version as well, and found the extra reflective layers to make a big difference in heat. You do lose the overhead view, even though it's already very dimmed with just the sunshade layer.

I had also tried the Taptes version, but it doesn't come with reflective layers, so I could still feel some heat coming through. Worse, rear visibility is gone altogether as the rear sunshade covers the entire rear glass, and since it's at an angle, you can't see anything out the back anymore. That rear shade also sagged quite a bit and made rear seat headroom a lot worse (I'm just under 6' tall). Finally, the clips in the Taptes version were absolutely terrible, as they didn't stay in place and would fall off way too easily when trying to install the shades.

What I'm now wondering is weather a ceramic tint would do as good a job reflecting heat while keeping overhead view... has anyone done a 35% or lower tint on the roof and compared the results with a sunshade?

Last edited:
What I'm now wondering is weather a ceramic tint would do as good a job reflecting heat while keeping overhead view... has anyone done a 35% or lower tint on the roof and compared the results with a sunshade?
My backseat stays cooler with 5% tint on rear glass. I'm sure a sunroof tinted with ceramic film will help. My cars overall stay cool with all the windows+windshield tinted and I live in a hot sunny climate.

I got the weDoi ones for $41(front and back. the cheapest ones I could find) on Amazon(amazon affiliates) and they seem to be doing the job pretty well. I do miss the view from the roof, but they are keeping my car a lot cooler and I don't feel the heat being trapped above my head. Like someone mentioned here before though , if you're r taller, it does sort of sag in the back a bit but the solution is to (yikes) tap it where its sagging.

I bought the Mixsuper version as well, and found the extra reflective layers to make a big difference in heat. You do lose the overhead view, even though it's already very dimmed with just the sunshade layer.

I had also tried the Taptes version, but it doesn't come with reflective layers, so I could still feel some heat coming through. Worse, rear visibility is gone altogether as the rear sunshade covers the entire rear glass, and since it's at an angle, you can't see anything out the back anymore. That rear shade also sagged quite a bit and made rear seat headroom a lot worse (I'm just under 6' tall). Finally, the clips in the Taptes version were absolutely terrible, as they didn't stay in place and would fall off way too easily when trying to install the shades.

Update on my Mixsuper shades: the front one seems to be working very well so far, and I'm loving the extra silver layer to completely block the sun (despite losing the overhead view, but I guess you can't have it all...)

However, I noticed an issue with the rear sunshade. When I drive around town with the windows open, at medium speeds (30-50mph) there seems to be enough draft to cause the rear shade to move backwards a bit, and it eventually drops out of its place, since the front clips that keep it attached to the middle beam are no longer holding it up.

This is probably not an issue with the rear shades that go all the way back to the trunk, since they can't move backwards further, but I don't like having zero visibility out the back window.

Anyone else have this issue? Also, is there another "kit" that just includes the front shade AND its silver reflecting layer?

We did a test last year and the shade does help. We had 4 Model 3 AWD in the office. We kept checking our interior temperature on our apps throughout the day. The car with the glass roof shade reached 105 last. But then after that it doesn't matter as all the car have AC on to kept at 105. LOL.

Did any of the cars have tint on the roof or the sides? I'm in CO (90+ degrees here all week) and trying to decide if I need tint or just get a sunshade.