Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Handling Split from 1 Lane to 2 With No Lines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't always hug the medial double-yellow. I have a place I drive frequently where it splits from one lane to 2 where it always picks the right lane. (right lane is aligned better with the single lane leading to the split) Unfortunately, the right lane quickly becomes a right turn only so I always take over there. The current version of autopilot was not designed for these type of roads and does not know where I am going, so I have no complaints. It seems to just pick what lines up best with where it is pointed.

Reactions: tyseft163
Why?
It hugs the medial double-yellow line at all times!

BTW, this becomes a nuisance when single lanes splits into double-lanes before an intersection, with the left lane usually reserved for left-only turns....

Of course the owners manual tells you AP is explicitly not intended for use on roads like that (or on roads like the one the OP posted the video about).

Why do people keep acting shocked when AP doesn't work correctly on roads that Tesla directly states it's not intended to be used?

Of course the owners manual tells you AP is explicitly not intended for use on roads like that (or on roads like the one the OP posted the video about).

Why do people keep acting shocked when AP doesn't work correctly on roads that Tesla directly states it's not intended to be used?

Because owners manual also tells you to not use AP/TACC on any roads with any traffic on them, or with curves, or when driving over 50mph. Nor to use AP/Autosteer when traffic or objects are present on the road. Cumulative Model 3 manual restrictions on AP functions would confine its use to only empty straight highways, driving under 50mph.

Which is a joke.
So we all ignore them, to one extent, or another.

I can only assume you haven't actually read it. I AM HERE TO HELP!

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Model 3 owners manual said:
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is primarily intended for driving on dry, straight roads, such as highways and freeways. It should not be used on city streets

Warning: Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on city streets or on roads where traffic conditions are constantly changing

Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver.

Do not use Autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present

If you want to keep complaining "SYSTEM DOES NOT WORK RIGHT IN PLACES I WAS ALREADY TOLD IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO WORK RIGHT" you can I guess... you do you :)

I can only assume you haven't actually read it. I AM HERE TO HELP!

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

If you want to keep complaining "SYSTEM DOES NOT WORK RIGHT IN PLACES I WAS ALREADY TOLD IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO WORK RIGHT" you can I guess... you do you :)

Tesla "System is not supposed to work" statement fully applies to ALL road situations, other than straight, traffic-free highways, at speeds under 50 mph.

I can't help you further if your reading comprehension is preventing you from absorbing the information plainly stated in the Model 3 manual.

a

Tesla "System is not supposed to work" statement fully applies to ALL road situations, other than straight, traffic-free highways, at speeds under 50 mph.

Well, no, it doesn't.

Once again you appear to have not read the very manual you keep failing to accurately quote or describe.

Te
I can't help you further if your reading comprehension is preventing you from absorbing the information plainly stated in the Model 3 manual.

a

I can't help if you're lying about what it says....unlike you I actually quoted from the thing confirming my own claims- you, not so much.

xpibK7T.jpg

The video was nice but my m3 with fsd can not even tell which lane to go into in a lane split even when there are painted lines showing to go into the right lane. I am traveling at 70 when it happens, speed limit. If I am traveling at less than 50 it will make a decision. But at higher speeds it loses the lines on one side then moves away from the other line trying to find the lost line. Then senses a line directly in front of it and can not make up its mind. Interestingly my hyundai sonata on the same stretch has no problem as it tends to stay near the line to its left. This definitely is a tesla problem that several other car makers have already figured out. Hey tesla, quit putting programmers on coming up with the latest games and put them to work on getting Fsd to work properly.

Reactions: afadeev
The video shows the car successfully picking a lane, but it looks like it was a city street. I recently did a road trip through the mountains (have actually done the trip several times, and the behavior is always the same). There are lots of times where there is an extra "passing" lane for slower vehicles to use on the right. At 70-90mph speeds my Model 3 usually centers while the lane widens and then when the new lane markings appear it very suddenly picks a lane and swerves into it (usually the left), or it gives lots of errors and gives up. Very jarring, and possibly unsafe at those speeds. I know it is a tough situation to figure out, but hopefully the AP improves over time to always pick the right lane in those situations (unless there is a car in it that you are passing). I generally try to get out of the right lane when those passing lanes start to avoid it.