Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 has no spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always carried all that other stuff, plugs, compressor, jack. But, I'd still like a compact spare for those times when a plug won't work. $90 for a compact spare would be a no-brainer to me. $280 for a compact spare from ModernTire or Bimmer, makes me look for a Genesis spare.
I carry a plug kit and small compressor. Much lighter than a spare.

I haven't needed to use it and I don't expect to need it. I would rather deal with the logistics of a rare emergency than carry a spare around for the life of the car that is never needed.

It’s pretty pathetic that the Model 3 doesn’t have a spare tire. We just got simple flat tire in pouring rain and have been sitting here waiting for the past 40 minutes for roadside service to call us back and then who knows how much longer for them to get here. I mean who sells a car w no spare tire? If this freaking car had a spare tire, I would have been long gone on way home already. It’s pathetic if you ask me.

I thought it was weird as well. Then I checked around and NONE of the new cars I looked at came with them. So I bought a spare tire and the problems was solved. :) No one likes to wait, hell I'd be bent, but that's why I bought one strait away. And don't forget to get at least one puck so you can jack up the car properly.

Got my spare here: Complete Spare Tire Kits | Tesla, BMW, Camaro, Corvette, Dodge...
Get at least one Puck here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N4LPZ7D/ref=twister_B07N4MSH7M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I thought it was weird as well. Then I checked around and NONE of the new cars I looked at came with them. So I bought a spare tire and the problems was solved. :) No one likes to wait, hell I'd be bent, but that's why I bought one strait away. And don't forget to get at least one puck so you can jack up the car properly.

Got my spare here: Complete Spare Tire Kits | Tesla, BMW, Camaro, Corvette, Dodge...
Get at least one Puck here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N4LPZ7D/ref=twister_B07N4MSH7M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My last two Cadillacs didn’t have one either. It’s very common these days.

Well, it happened today, we hit something in the road, put a decent size gash in the SIDEWALL, so no way to add air or plug the tire. We were in the middle of nowhere, took an hour to get AAA there, then another 2 hours to get to a Tesla Service Center in Latham, NY (near Albany, NY). The problem is it was a Saturday afternoon, the SC is not open all weekend, were not open, and not open until Monday 8:00 AM.

The other problem is that particular SC looks like an afterthought, very small from the outside, they probably don't have a spare tire for our M3 Performance (Michelin 235/35 ZR20 Pilot S4, Michelin Part #49531), so I don't know what we are going to do. Tesla Emergency Service was worthless. Only could reach them by text, they only covered up to 50 miles, and had ZERO informartion about whether the Tesla SC had any tires in stock.

So far I've spent $200 on the tow (AAA covered the first 100 miles on our "upgraded" AAA plan), and another $300 in hotel satys (2 nights), the tire, if they have it, is another $400, and missing work this coming Monday, I cannot put a price tag on that.

I never considered buying a spare like the ones advertised on www.modernspare.com, but now I see the value. We could be home right now, and ordering a replacement tire, while still driving the car. Had Tesla offered an option of what I call a "donut" I would havelikley purchased it with the new car, but I thought, hey, I can just call them and they'll have a spare tire on their service truck.

I now come to find out not only do they not show up to help, I'm sure they probably don;t stock the (4) tire types for their cars (MS, MX, M3, M3P). So right now I'm steaming mad, and although it's not Tesla's fault something was in teh road that we hit, it's that when it comes to an urgent matter like this, they are nowhere to be found. So I will be calling +20 stores on a Sunday hoping they have the tire I need. I know it won't be the exact duplicate of the other (3) tires (I'll explain more below), so I'll end up buying the non-Tesla Michelin Part #33211 that is the same size & type but not the "Tesla brand" supposedly designed for the M3P.

Long story short, EVERYONE needs to buy a spare tire for their car, best with the complete kit in case of no cell service or help from anyone but yourself. Modern Spare says it best in their description on their website (Complete Spare Tire Kits | Tesla, BMW, Camaro, Corvette, Dodge...
AAA or Roadside Assistance Options), don't rely on AAA or Tesla to come help you.

So here's the story about the M3P tires, they are very special, so special in fact that according to my phone call to Michelin this afternoon, there are only (11) Michelin tires available in the entire country (Part #49531) for the M3P. I could not believe what I was being told by the tire manufacturer, only (11). That's just crazy. So now, if I can even find the non-Tesla version (Michelin Part #33211), it won't exactly match the other (3) tires, so I'll have to order another new tire Patrt # 49531, and hope to get 1 of the 11 available in the USA.

I sure hope I can update this post next week with any good news, because if not, I am really going to tell people not to buy a Tesla because their service support really sucks. Enough for now, I'm crossing my fingers I'll be able to get home in 2-3 days.

It’s pretty pathetic that the Model 3 doesn’t have a spare tire. We just got simple flat tire in pouring rain and have been sitting here waiting for the past 40 minutes for roadside service to call us back and then who knows how much longer for them to get here. I mean who sells a car w no spare tire? If this freakin car had a spare tire, I would have been long gone on way home already. It’s pathetic if you ask me.
Welcome to the modern car. None of the past 5 BMW’s I have owned have had a spare.

It's reading stories like yours that made me go ahead and buy a compact spare 18" Genesis tire off eBay not long ago. I have no issue with plugging or changing a tire. Much rather do that than wait more than a couple hours waiting for someone to answer the phone, then waiting for a tow, then waiting for the SC to open, then waiting for tire stores to open, etc., etc., etc.

Well, it happened today, we hit something in the road, put a decent size gash in the SIDEWALL, so no way to add air or plug the tire. We were in the middle of nowhere, took an hour to get AAA there, then another 2 hours to get to a Tesla Service Center in Latham, NY (near Albany, NY). The problem is it was a Saturday afternoon, the SC is not open all weekend, were not open, and not open until Monday 8:00 AM.

The other problem is that particular SC looks like an afterthought, very small from the outside, they probably don't have a spare tire for our M3 Performance (Michelin 235/35 ZR20 Pilot S4, Michelin Part #49531), so I don't know what we are going to do. Tesla Emergency Service was worthless. Only could reach them by text, they only covered up to 50 miles, and had ZERO informartion about whether the Tesla SC had any tires in stock.

So far I've spent $200 on the tow (AAA covered the first 100 miles on our "upgraded" AAA plan), and another $300 in hotel satys (2 nights), the tire, if they have it, is another $400, and missing work this coming Monday, I cannot put a price tag on that.

I never considered buying a spare like the ones advertised on www.modernspare.com, but now I see the value. We could be home right now, and ordering a replacement tire, while still driving the car. Had Tesla offered an option of what I call a "donut" I would havelikley purchased it with the new car, but I thought, hey, I can just call them and they'll have a spare tire on their service truck.

I now come to find out not only do they not show up to help, I'm sure they probably don;t stock the (4) tire types for their cars (MS, MX, M3, M3P). So right now I'm steaming mad, and although it's not Tesla's fault something was in teh road that we hit, it's that when it comes to an urgent matter like this, they are nowhere to be found. So I will be calling +20 stores on a Sunday hoping they have the tire I need. I know it won't be the exact duplicate of the other (3) tires (I'll explain more below), so I'll end up buying the non-Tesla Michelin Part #33211 that is the same size & type but not the "Tesla brand" supposedly designed for the M3P.

Long story short, EVERYONE needs to buy a spare tire for their car, best with the complete kit in case of no cell service or help from anyone but yourself. Modern Spare says it best in their description on their website (Complete Spare Tire Kits | Tesla, BMW, Camaro, Corvette, Dodge...
AAA or Roadside Assistance Options), don't rely on AAA or Tesla to come help you.

So here's the story about the M3P tires, they are very special, so special in fact that according to my phone call to Michelin this afternoon, there are only (11) Michelin tires available in the entire country (Part #49531) for the M3P. I could not believe what I was being told by the tire manufacturer, only (11). That's just crazy. So now, if I can even find the non-Tesla version (Michelin Part #33211), it won't exactly match the other (3) tires, so I'll have to order another new tire Patrt # 49531, and hope to get 1 of the 11 available in the USA.

I sure hope I can update this post next week with any good news, because if not, I am really going to tell people not to buy a Tesla because their service support really sucks. Enough for now, I'm crossing my fingers I'll be able to get home in 2-3 days.

@jcoop thank you for your post. I’m sorry you had to experience what you did to prompt you write your post, but we all should take heed.

It makes me furious that we have to take extra steps and make extra purchases to protect our loved ones in the event of a blown or flat tire.

It makes me furious that after 29 years of AAA membership I felt the need to upgrade to AAA Premiere to get 500 miles of towing (God forbid we need it). And it makes me furious that I now feel the need to buy a $459 (including shipping) spare tire kit. But after your story I see no good reason to put it off to ensure my wife is secure and able to drive home if there are no repair facilities open.

Last edited:
My last 4 cars had no spare. Not a Tesla problem really, but I’m sure their roadside isn’t comparable to the big boys. But all these companies just subcontract to the same tow shops that AAA uses.

Only reason why keep AAA is that I know they’re reliable and I don’t want to deal with a bunch of different services. Flick it, it’s just a few bucks a year for huge piece of mind.

Couldn’t you have just towed to any tire shop? I mean BMW and Benz can’t help you on a Sunday, right?

I purchased a spare from ModernSpare and it's awesome. As for Tesla's service... Man that sucks and it's not how it's supposed to work. The way it's supposed to work is this: Tesla has a service range that they can handle. Outside of this they are supposed to put you in contact with a "Partner" that can assist you. That said, you are going to wait. I've seen this trend with most new car manufacturers and I really hope it changes. I'm not making light of the issue, but this is one of those cases where Tesla is following a trend that appears to be spreading industry wide.

yeah the e46 still had a full size spare or compact spare in the.... compact version of the car. I think the gen after that they dropped it

The full size spare came in very handy when I had a complete tire blowout 200km away from the next town
My 2006 330xi had runflats. So did my x3, 135, 430, and my current x5. The m series cars don’t a spare or runflats. Just a repair kit that comes with an air pump.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the real culprit here, the flat prone low-profile sport tire. I don't care about the quicker lap time because I don't take my car to the track. And if I had a track car I wouldn't be using it for transportation for my loved ones. While it's possible for any tire to get a flat, the low-profile tires are not nearly as robust, especially if you screw up and run over debris in the roadway.

Watch where you are going people and run appropriate tires! I'm hearing Tesla is offering the 18" Aero option again for the Performance Model 3 and that is the only way I would buy the Performance version (because I don't need a track car).

I purchased a spare from ModernSpare and it's awesome. As for Tesla's service... Man that sucks and it's not how it's supposed to work. The way it's supposed to work is this: Tesla has a service range that they can handle. Outside of this they are supposed to put you in contact with a "Partner" that can assist you. That said, you are going to wait. I've seen this trend with most new car manufacturers and I really hope it changes. I'm not making light of the issue, but this is one of those cases where Tesla is following a trend that appears to be spreading industry wide.

I appreciate the reply ibGeek. So it's now Sunday morning in Albany, NY and we've called every tire store in the area, and of course, nobody has the tire in stock, and won't until Mon or Tue. For sure NOBODY has the exact replacement tire for the M3P so I'm going to have the right size tire for the rim, but it will nto match the other (3) tires. Not sure how that will affect ergular driving (I don't race this car, nor never intend to do so).

The Tesla SC where I had the car towed to does not open until tomorrow (Monday), and of course nobody within Tesla Service online (or god forbid get an actual person on a phone call), can tell me if they have any tires in stock. As I had noted above, the Latham, NY SC looks like a combo Tesla Solar + Tesla Car place, very small, and I doubt they do any substantial business there.

I'm going to call BWM when they open @ noon today to see if by chance they have it (thanks chewyc for the tip!). So it looks like because I was foolish to not think about buying a spare (because of Tesla's roadside assistance app where I thought I would be helped) I'm stuck away from home for at least (3) days. Tesla needs to offer on their app a kit like ModernSpare.com when people order the car. Just like adding options, I would have gladly paid it at the time now that I've goone thru this horrible experience.

As for StelthP3D's comments, I hear you, but when I bought the M3P, I didn't have an option for non-low profile tires. Anyway, the debris our car hit would have caused 18 or 19 tires to blow out beecause it damaged the side wall, not on the tread, so for my situation, it would not have mattered what type of size tire I had on my M3P.

Long story short, everyone needs to order a spare tire since Tesla does not, and I'm now out over $1,000 because of my stupidity of net getting a spare tire when I bought the car earlier this year. Now having to deal with the lack of a dealer network that can support me, I probably will not recommend anyone to get a Tesla, even though it's the best car I've ever had, which is sad. When Tesla took my calls and I could get a real person at a Tesla SC, it was a much better experience. Also, not being able to get an appt for service for several weeks is a problem. Enough ranting for now. I think I'll send Elon a Twitter that he should think about offering a spare when people order a car online.

Reactions: rajivpsf and KenC