Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 has no spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can stand it up but it still sticks up a ways.
The lower boot bay is only about 16" long so there's no way the 17" version would fit (It's 21.5" inches in diameter.

It's too bad Tesla didn't put a place for it, they could have made money selling optional spares!

img_3572-jpeg.457924
In fact it would have been easy for Tesla to put a spare tire flat on the bottom of the trunk.

If you remove the bottom cover (there are only few plastic pins easy to extract with a small scew driver)
You will then noticed that the trunk is more flatter that is, because there is a beam above the floor between the two wheelhouse.

This looks like an aftertought, I wonder why they didn't put this beam below the trunk?
Otherwise the trunk would have been may be 3 inch lower and flatter.

I didn't make the measurement, but it seems that a spare could fit just betwen the rear wall of the trunk and this beam.

The drawback will be to have the spare located just above the hidden subtrunk,
so you will have to move up the tire everytime you will need to access this hidden trunk.

Also, the cover contents all the noise insulation from the trunk bare metal, but you could put some adesive sound absorbtion.

Last edited:
In fact it would have been easy for Tesla to put a spare tire flat on the bottom of the trunk.

If you remove the bottom cover (there are only few plastic pins easy to extract with a small scew driver)
You will then noticed that the trunk is more flatter that is, because there is a beam above the floor between the two wheelhouse.

This looks like an aftertought, I wonder why they didn't put this beam below the trunk?
Otherwise the trunk would have been may be 3 inch lower and flatter.

I didn't make the measurement, but it seems that a spare could fit just betwen the rear wall of the trunk and this beam.

The drawback will be to have the spare located just above the hidden subtrunk,
so you will have to move up the tire everytime you will need to access this hidden trunk.

Also, the cover contents all the noise insulation from the trunk bare metal, but you could put some adesive sound absorbtion.
Pictures!

thanks, so basically need something like this but for a lot cheaper!
#1 Spare Tire Kit Engineered Specifically For Your Model 3 | Modern Spare

was then planning to basically build something like this which it could sit under drawing
There's the Modern Spare, and then there's a similar one from Bimmerzone. A few of us have purchased the Hyundai Genesis compact spare off eBay, for between $100 to $150. And of course, the Maserati Ghibli which has the deflated spare.

Ok, I can definitively say there is now good way to fit a spare tire in the trunk of a Model 3. Took out the liner today and discovered that there is large hump behind the cross beam crushing my dreams of fitting the spare tire vertically behind the seats. The tire will also not fit above the pit between the rear and the cross beam (it's 21.5" from the rear of the car so I suppose a 17" collapsible spare would fit if you could find one but it would still eat up a lot of trunk space and block access to the pit). In conclusion, I will just put it in a bag in the trunk when I go on trips.
Bpa4rJ5YSKOdvu7sT9qpZA.jpg
y%mGIGwvSGu6Tvo+kp90HA.jpg
fullsizeoutput_2558.jpeg
DUPVygDsSf+X3HDBr+Zt7A.jpg

The Maserati spare had gone up in price by a lot, so I decided to be a bit adventurous and try the Mercedes R350 spare tire which are also 18 inch space saver tires.

The bore size is 66.6mm and bolt pattern is 5x112. It should fit provided that you use wobble bolts to secure the wheel.

There seems to be a lot of them on Ebay and the salvage ones are selling for pretty cheap. I just bought mine for $72. Look for listings that show picture of a salvaged car instead of the wheel itself. Those listings are from salvages that doesn't take time to individually catalog and post dedicated photos and sell the same parts for cheaper. Just ask for them to send you a photo before shipping the wheel to you.

Once my wobble bolts arrive I'll try them on and report back how they fit.

Attachments

• IMG_5194.jpg
    IMG_5194.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
So after THREE AND A HALF hours they finally towed the car to a service center. They supposedly called around and couldn’t find a loaner tire so they took the car in, and tomorrow I probably have to take half a day off from work to deal w getting it replaced. We were only about 15 mins away from our house. I can’t imagine what would happen if I got a flat tire on the way to Vegas or something. A super simple flat tire that usually takes 20 minutes to deal with can ruin the entire trip if they have to tow the car and u have to find alternate transportation both ways and who knows what else. Tesla’s service is beyond horrible so far based on my first experience dealing w them and I’m definitely getting spare tire. I don’t care about 20 or 30 extra pounds.

Late to the party here, but I can tell you that here in the UK communicating with Tesla is a total nightmare. I haven't had a flat, my issues are quite different, but they don't answer the phone, don't respond to emails, make offers they later ignore. The car is great, but the company is absolutely dreadful. I am telling everyone to seriously consider alternatives, the after-sales service is the worst I have ever experienced.

I had a similar incident of flat tire on the road trip month ans half ago, roadside asst came fairly quick in 30 min and gave a loaner wheel, but looks like they lost my wheel now it's been month and had they have not replace my wheel, I am driving with loaner wheel looks awkward. I am totally disappointed with the service making several attempts to replace the wheel?? Any thought what should I Do NOW??

I had a similar incident of flat tire on the road trip month ans half ago, roadside asst came fairly quick in 30 min and gave a loaner wheel, but looks like they lost my wheel now it's been month and had they have not replace my wheel, I am driving with loaner wheel looks awkward. I am totally disappointed with the service making several attempts to replace the wheel?? Any thought what should I Do NOW??
If everyone could get a loaner wheel in 30 minutes there certainly would be no need to carry a spare. How does service make several attempts to replace a wheel? o_O
Seems like they owe you a new wheel.

Traveling north on 101 near Santa Maria, CA, my daughter, pup, and I waited an infuriating two hours on the side of the freeway for a tow with a loaner tire in our Model 3 (once they arrived, it took a few minutes and we were back on the road). If there was a spare, I could have been out of there in 15 minutes. I’m considering the Hyundai Genesis 18” or this kit:
2017-2020 Tesla Model 3 Complete Spare Tire Kit - Modern Spare https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KS19426/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3.2gEbSY6N84J
Anyone have experience with either?

Sharing my setup for carrying a full diameter spare tire with me (T135-80-R18 104H). The holes on the sides of the upper structural beam of the trunk are used to hook straps to hold the tire up, so that I still have access to most of the trunk and the lower compartment. The wheel is custom assembled by me as I could not put my hands on a Hyundai Genesis spare (Mazda CX-7 spare with Honda civic 2 inch spacers to clear the calipers, and the tire is from Tire Rack).
1-20200112_211408_HDR.jpg
2-20200112_211350_HDR.jpg

Sharing my setup for carrying a full diameter spare tire with me (T135-80-R18 104H). The holes on the sides of the upper structural beam of the trunk are used to hook straps to hold the tire up, so that I still have access to most of the trunk and the lower compartment. The wheel is custom assembled by me as I could not put my hands on a Hyundai Genesis spare (Mazda CX-7 spare with Honda civic 2 inch spacers to clear the calipers, and the tire is from Tire Rack).

That looks nice. I'd like to do the same, but I have the Model 3 Performance which needs the 20" wheel to clear the calipers. I don't mind buying a full-size spare+tire to keep at home. If something catastrophic happens (happened to my last car!), I could have someone bring me the jack + wheel. At least I could be driving around while a new tire gets ordered and installed. That seems to take a full week typically.

So after THREE AND A HALF hours they finally towed the car to a service center. They supposedly called around and couldn’t find a loaner tire so they took the car in, and tomorrow I probably have to take half a day off from work to deal w getting it replaced. We were only about 15 mins away from our house. I can’t imagine what would happen if I got a flat tire on the way to Vegas or something. A super simple flat tire that usually takes 20 minutes to deal with can ruin the entire trip if they have to tow the car and u have to find alternate transportation both ways and who knows what else. Tesla’s service is beyond horrible so far based on my first experience dealing w them and I’m definitely getting spare tire. I don’t care about 20 or 30 extra pounds.
Where are you going to put the spare tire? Try like 45-50 lbs after the jack, lug nut wrench, etc, etc.

I’m considering the Hyundai Genesis 18” or this kit:
2017-2020 Tesla Model 3 Complete Spare Tire Kit - Modern Spare https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KS19426/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3.2gEbSY6N84J
Anyone have experience with either?

I share your frustration. My son and I were traveling back from Canada to New Jersey and we had a blowout from hitting debris in the roadway.

Because we did not purchase a spare tire, we ended up having to stay at a hotel overnight then having our car towed about 150 miles back to a tire store near our hometown because no stores in the area had a new tire that fit the M3P.

I bought spare tiees from “Modern Spare“ for both my M3P and my MX100D. Their kits can be ordered with all of the required accessories and even a cover. Although both tires take up room in the trunks and add weight, it’s well worth the peace of mind.

In fact recently on my MX100 D, I had another side wall blowout and was able to install the spare tire myself but make sure you purchase all the correct spare parts for your specific vehicle as I did. Without them the spare tire will not fit over the brake calipers.

I highly recommend “Modern Spare” as the owner was able to answer all my questions.

It’s pretty pathetic that the Model 3 doesn’t have a spare tire. We just got simple flat tire in pouring rain and have been sitting here waiting for the past 40 minutes for roadside service to call us back and then who knows how much longer for them to get here. I mean who sells a car w no spare tire? If this freakin car had a spare tire, I would have been long gone on way home already. It’s pathetic if you ask me.

Were you aware there was no spare before purchasing the car, or just realized it when you needed it?