Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got similar result, hastings was the lowest at £700 and admiral is at £940, quite a lot cheaper.

But then when I clicked into the hasting website it require the license plate, the website didn't recognize it and I have to give them a call.

Now things got interesting, when I give them all the info they need to do a manual quote for me, and the quote got all the way up to £1400. SMFH...

btw.. There is two options for model 3 RWD: simply just model 3 OR model 3 standard range plus. Tesla told me to go for "model 3"
I had the same issue because it wouldn't recognise the registration. I think the problem you had was because the Hastings agent gave you a separate manual quote which was always going to be more expensive. When I rang I got the option to input the online quote reference and all the agent did was to use this as the basis to complete the purchase with the registration number. Asked a few more question and it went up by £5 for some reason but then though to payment. All the docs come through as clearly an online policy (there was a £19.99 extra option to have the policy dealt with through the call cente but I didn't opt for that).

The agent was aware of the anomaly about not being able to proceed online because the system can't find a vehicle to match the Reg number provided by Tesla.

Obnce setup and you access the account online or in an app, it's still an online only policy and any changes, apart from claim can only be done online.

I got similar result, hastings was the lowest at £700 and admiral is at £940, quite a lot cheaper.

But then when I clicked into the hasting website it require the license plate, the website didn't recognize it and I have to give them a call.

Now things got interesting, when I give them all the info they need to do a manual quote for me, and the quote got all the way up to £1400. SMFH...

btw.. There is two options for model 3 RWD: simply just model 3 OR model 3 standard range plus. Tesla told me to go for "model 3"
Interesting, my Admiral quote came in at just a couple of quid over £600. 10 years NCB, license held 17 years, 35 years age.. vehicle kept on a drive.

Hastings came back in the region of what you were given on the phone.

Interesting, my Admiral quote came in at just a couple of quid over £600. 10 years NCB, license held 17 years, 35 years age.. vehicle kept on a drive.

Hastings came back in the region of what you were given on the phone.
That's pretty good. Mine was £615 with Hastings with EU driving. However some context. Age 75 & retired, only 6k miles, kept on the drive but £500 voluntary excess and £500 compulsory with no NCD protection. I would have gone to £1k voluntary but even where it was a possible option it didn't bring the premium down, at least not with Confused.

Interested to know what level of cost you would bear before claiming and whether you choose to protect NCD. My mate has been hit twice recently in low speed bumps and in both cases the other party agreed to pay cash without getting insurance companies involved.

That's pretty good. Mine was £615 with Hastings with EU driving. However some context. Age 75 & retired, only 6k miles, kept on the drive but £500 voluntary excess and £500 compulsory with no NCD protection. I would have gone to £1k voluntary but even where it was a possible option it didn't bring the premium down, at least not with Confused.

Interested to know what level of cost you would bear before claiming and whether you choose to protect NCD. My mate has been hit twice recently in low speed bumps and in both cases the other party agreed to pay cash without getting insurance companies involved.
I didn't protect no claims and didn't add any of the optional Bolt-Ons but it has an uninsured driver clause, free recovery if you run out of charge, and covers for driving in the EU. Its the middle of the road offering, admiral offer:

Admiral Black box
Admiral Essential
Admiral
Admiral Gold
Admiral Platinum

I'll see if I can obfuscate and share my policy info when next on my laptop.

It's for 10,000 miles a year and £350 voluntary excess I think.

@Roger20, So I have revisited both Admiral website and CompareTheMarket and these are the inclusions for the policy:

Admiral Website:

Admiral1.png

CompareTheMarket:

CompareTheMarket.png

Does not include:
  • Breakdown Cover (I get it discounted via work)
  • Motor Legal Protection
Additional Cover: Free Recovery if your EV runs out of charge - Admiral - Car, MultiCar and MultiCover Insurance Quotes

Admiral2.png

Last edited:
I had the same issue because it wouldn't recognise the registration. I think the problem you had was because the Hastings agent gave you a separate manual quote which was always going to be more expensive. When I rang I got the option to input the online quote reference and all the agent did was to use this as the basis to complete the purchase with the registration number. Asked a few more question and it went up by £5 for some reason but then though to payment. All the docs come through as clearly an online policy (there was a £19.99 extra option to have the policy dealt with through the call cente but I didn't opt for that).

The agent was aware of the anomaly about not being able to proceed online because the system can't find a vehicle to match the Reg number provided by Tesla.

Obnce setup and you access the account online or in an app, it's still an online only policy and any changes, apart from claim can only be done online.

I tried again this morning, the agent did another manual quote when he put in the registration, the quote went up double what I have from Confused.com.. the agent said this is a standard procedures if the system wouldnt recognise the registration..

I tried again this morning, the agent did another manual quote when he put in the registration, the quote went up double what I have from Confused.com.. the agent said this is a standard procedures if the system wouldnt recognise the registration..
When you rang did you get the option to put the original online quote reference into the pinpad on your phone?

If you went through Topcashback to Confused the quote only lasts for that day anyway so unless you ring immediately after using that quote reference you are back to square one anyway and need to requote again online first and then ring up. I used 0333 321 9790.

When you rang did you get the option to put the original online quote reference into the pinpad on your phone?

If you went through Topcashback to Confused the quote only lasts for that day anyway so unless you ring immediately after using that quote reference you are back to square one anyway and need to requote again online first and then ring up. I used 0333 321 9790.
yep, I put the quote ref in and also told the agent all I need to just to put the registration to the policy.. same number too

tried two times yesterday and today called them right after I got the quote

guess i would need to go with Admiral

Currently I owned another car but I am going to sell my current car after I take delivery of the M3, so when I am quoting for the insurance, should I put I own 2 car under my names? I can see the price is about 10% more expensive if I put the M3 is the only 1 car that I own..

Not an answer to that question, but my car insurance has allowed me to keep the original car (for a reasonable amount of time - from memory a month, extendable for a second month) in order to "dispose of it".

yep, I put the quote ref in and also told the agent all I need to just to put the registration to the policy.. same number too

tried two times yesterday and today called them right after I got the quote

guess i would need to go with Admiral
That's poor. I've given feedback that their system is preventing completion of purchase in this situation . Guess I was lucky or you haven't had very good service.

Yeah I have arranged insurance. Had a bit of a nightmare trying to find someone that was switched on enough to understand my question. In the end got through to someone on the phone that told me what version to use so I took her word for it and completed the policy online.

Always good to get it sorted in advance as if you start doing quotes for the next day the price can go up significantly, setting the policy to start for a date in the future is usually cheaper.

I wouldn't have thought so as Direct Line are quite big about buying directly through them so not sure they'd do an affiliate link or anything like that but I couldn't try it to find out as they couldn't offer me a quote.

Any chance you can please share the option they used for the RWD version please for Highland? Trying to do the insurance too and they still haven't cleared it up!

Any chance you can please share the option they used for the RWD version please for Highland? Trying to do the insurance too and they still haven't cleared it up!
I was told to go for the 279 option... However you might want to keep calling them until someone tells you that's what you need. I feel like I've covered myself as the person on the phone done their research and checked with a few people and they recommended this one for the RWD highland. (Just wanted to be cautious as insurers are famous for trying their best to not pay out)

Just bumped up against the (Highland) M3 RWD not being recognised in insurance company lists. Not prepared to proceed on 'nearest alternative', and neither would I be comfortable with an agent doing this as no doubt they will run for cover (excuse pun) if it becomes an issue after a claim.
Can only speculate that Tesla has been slow in notifying relevant body. Hope they get it sorted soon.

Just bumped up against the (Highland) M3 RWD not being recognised in insurance company lists. Not prepared to proceed on 'nearest alternative', and neither would I be comfortable with an agent doing this as no doubt they will run for cover (excuse pun) if it becomes an issue after a claim.
Can only speculate that Tesla has been slow in notifying relevant body. Hope they get it sorted soon.
Isn’t Highland just a code name?, Tesla still officially just calling it a RWD or LR, I’ve just tried Go Compare and it allowed me to select a 2024 RWD, got a quote for £470 for a 5 star policy, when I tried November after placing order it was £570 so not sure if prices are easing a bit?

Isn’t Highland just a code name?, Tesla still officially just calling it a RWD or LR, I’ve just tried Go Compare and it allowed me to select a 2024 RWD, got a quote for £470 for a 5 star policy, when I tried November after placing order it was £570 so not sure if prices are easing a bit?
I just went with Long Range when insuring mine, and yes, Highland isn't actually a thing. Its no different to it being a 2019 BWM 3 Series or a 2024 BMW 3 Series.

The insurance is just a mess as, for some reason they are trying to break out all of the different variances and their varying "BHP".

If maybe reassuring that even several months into the M3 being available in the UK I needed to insure mine as a model S back in Oct 19 - it was the only workaround some of the brokers had.

As others have suggested the Highland name is probably never going to be listed anyway.

My new Model 3 is arriving 1st Feb., in Newcastle. Looking forward to increased range over current Model 3, not sure about no stalk on steering wheel yet. Insuring was not straight forward because the new model is not listed by Direct Line, but they were helpful on the phone and have arranged my insurance.

Reactions: EVMeister
I received my Highland late last night (final delivery of the day, just my luck!) it was still coming up as unregistered until this morning on DVLA, and even now is only showing on a couple of comparison sites. But like I'm reading here, we're having to choose between 279 or 302 for the BHP. Admiral need a definitive answer or they say my insurance will be invalid, and won't accept VIN as alternative. Tesla customer service told me they don't "deal with" BHP and then went to investigate but cut me off after 15 minutes on hold. Absolutely desperate to take it for a spin but really struggling to work out what to do!