Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s the go with the power differential between US models (500hp) and UK (460hp)? Is it the difference between the outputs of the Panasonic vs LG batteries? Seems a significant shortfall either way
Looks like they used the metric PS measurement on UK site which comes out lower than imperial BHP figure but maybe some rounding going on, performance in the same so imagine motor is same as well

Reactions: Aza75
Looks like they used the metric PS measurement on UK site which comes out lower than imperial BHP figure but maybe some rounding going on, performance in the same so imagine motor is same as well
Motor is the same but US has Panasonic battery and Europe is LG. The LG battery is weaker, the older car got slower when they switched the battery so now they are just being honest and saying as much. Though the 0-60 times being the same is interesting and can only guess that’s traction limited but once you get going the US car is clearly going to be quicker.

Not sure on this. I plan to order either LR or Performance but actually might go LR to be honest. It’s not a price thing though they are taking the piss there as the Top Gear review had it around £55k lower. So I feel like they planned to sell it for less but decided people in UK love a good performance car and will be prepared to pay more. Seems like a last minute change that one.

No 19 inch wheels but instead 19 up front and 20’s on rear. I’d much prefer smaller wheels for our potholes.

The range is a massive drop from a LR. Quite shocked on that as the old Performance was not much lower than the old LR. If you go for 18’s on a LR it’s in the region of 100 miles less. That’s a massive difference.

Unsure on the seats. I’m a bit larger and don’t know if they’ll be too tight, the reviewers have all been more normal builds and they don’t look to have much side to side movement. Infact one guy said it was hugging him tight so that seems the main deal breaker actually.

Infact as I write this, seems like LR is the way but I’ll sleep on it.

Very interesting they say they were briefed it was going to cost £56k and it's now upped to 60. Well in that case I won't be trading in just yet. Might test drive one, though. My fiancee has the old Performance Model 3, so I wouldn't mind making her envious.

Hearing about the bucket seats I was basically ready to hit the buy button but price gouging turns me away, hard.

Not sure what the hell is up with the range discrepancy though. Pretty weird, that.

Very interesting they say they were briefed it was going to cost £56k and it's now upped to 60. Well in that case I won't be trading in just yet. Might test drive one, though. My fiancee has the old Performance Model 3, so I wouldn't mind making her envious.

Hearing about the bucket seats I was basically ready to hit the buy button but price gouging turns me away, hard.

Not sure what the hell is up with the range discrepancy though. Pretty weird, that.
It’s very cheap in the US because of all the tax credits, it’s 56k Euro’s I believe in Europe which makes it pretty good value there and they’ve basically slapped on a really big premium in the UK. Not impressed by them doing that at all and you can be pretty sure it’ll drop at some point from where it is now as it’s an inflated price.

It does look like Tesla have upped the UK price as Topegear weren’t the only ones quoting £55k. Guess we won’t see it drop to that until they adjust prices like other countries. Given that they just announced a drop in revenue and profits for Q1, that might be quicker than you think.

On the subject of BHP the UK and US measure horsepower exactly the same way (one horsepower = 550 foot-pounds per sec, which is 745.699 watts) while Germany measure it slighky lower (one pferdestärke = 735.49875 watts). The McLaren 720S is named after its PS output (720), which is about 710bhp. Given this even if Tesla were quoting PS vs BHP, there isn’t enough difference to explain why the UK car is 50bhp down compared to the US model 3 performance (it’s also the wrong way round as PS is higher than BHP). There’s definitely something odd going on.

Reactions: kael13
It does look like Tesla have upped the UK price as Topegear weren’t the only ones quoting £55k. Guess we won’t see it drop to that until they adjust prices like other countries. Given that they just announced a drop in revenue and profits for Q1, that might be quicker than you think.

On the subject of BHP the UK and US measure horsepower exactly the same way (one horsepower = 550 foot-pounds per sec, which is 745.699 watts) while Germany measure it slighky lower (one pferdestärke = 735.49875 watts). The McLaren 720S is named after its PS output (720), which is about 710bhp. Given this even if Tesla were quoting PS vs BHP, there isn’t enough difference to explain why the UK car is 50bhp down compared to the US model 3 performance (it’s also the wrong way round as PS is higher than BHP). There’s definitely something odd going on.
The German forum believes they’ve incorrectly converted the KW to hp so they’ve made a mistake.

It doesn’t really make sense if it’s 50hp down that the 0-60 is the same on our car as in the US.

Hard to know what the efficiency of this car is vs the old one. I prefer the EPA numbers as they are just more realistic and it’s down however they also revised the EPA test to make it more realistic than previously so you cannot do a straight comparison either. My guess is it’s pretty much the same as the last car in terms of efficiency.

LR 18inch = 341 miles EPA
LR 19inch = 305 miles EPA
Performance = 296 miles EPA

Sounds like with the Active Suspension it rides extremely well but hard to know if it’s better than the other Highlands, especially when they are on 18’s.

Also have in the back of my mind a few reporting steering wheel vibrations on the other Highlands. They’ve changed quite a bit here on this car so possible it won’t have that.

What to order, what to order. Think Out of Spec is supposed to have a review sometime today. That might help if he’s had longer with the car and maybe done some efficiency and comfort comparisons.

P.S. Screw you Tesla for taking advantage of us in the UK with your pricing ;)

The HP thing looks odd, on the german website they say 460 PS, which is 450 bhp, different again, if it was KW it would be 616 (b)hp

But cars accelerate on torque, the max power figure is likely well above 60mph so it could be different if it’s say battery limited and we have a different battery, whilst having a similar 0-60 time.

The HP thing looks odd, on the german website they say 460 PS, which is 450 bhp, different again, if it was KW it would be 616 (b)hp

But cars accelerate on torque, the max power figure is likely well above 60mph so it could be different if it’s say battery limited and we have a different battery, whilst having a similar 0-60 time.
They get the car for significantly less, we deserve 10 more hp for paying about £12k more than they have to for the car…

USA has different sales taxes based on the state in which purchased/registered so price is shown without tax. Using your £42,500 it would be £51,000 when you add 20% VAT. Still quite a bit less expensive in the USA but it was ever thus.
Also uk charges 10% import tax on cars made outside the UK, so more like £55,250 to give Tesla the same return. Then add something for shipping from China, cost of operations in the UK (property an staff) might be higher etc. It's probably over, but they also need to plan in inflation to avoid changing the price too frequently.

on reflection, I far preferred my 3 to my Y. Yes the Y is more practical but just not fun to drive.

This 3P looks really decent. Proper differentiation from the LR. I would be tempted, but not at that price and finance. If it ever comes down I will take a look. Also would prefer the posh red which isn’t an option. Colours are pretty dull and I can’t face white again.

Decent job though Tesla. Who’d of thought we would be whinging about the price of a car that wipes the floor with a BMW M3 etc. Which cost a lot more.

Reactions: Oxid8ter and Durzel