Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Watertown a thing ? I thought Dedham was the only SC in MA.
Watertown is indeed a thing. I got my HW3 retrofit done yesterday there. They were extremely pleasant. Hooked me up with a loaner and had two techs work on my car (had a couple minor other things that needed doing: squeaky wiper arm + the things Tesla said the car needed: hood alignment, two new alignment pins in the charging port). All work was done in 2 hours and HW3 is working flawlessly so far.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I had my car in for service in November and got the don't call us, we'll call you reply when I added HW3 to the work request. Now it seems that people are indeed calling them and getting in, so I may set up an appt. I have a road trip scheduled for the end of March, so it would be nice to have it done by then. Have a few other minor items to look at - loose trim by right side mirror, squeaky door hinge, & a couple of electronic glitches that I want to confirm are "normal". I've got a 105,xxx vin for the Plano, TX SC.

I had my HW 3 install today. The actual hardware install took less than an hour. The firmware took forever. The only settings I lost were BT, had to re pair my phone, and Wifi. That’s it. All my trips intact, seat settings kept. I had to re hook up my Nomad wireless charger and my dash cam. New visualizations are great. Dedham service center is awesome.

Watertown is indeed a thing. I got my HW3 retrofit done yesterday there. They were extremely pleasant. Hooked me up with a loaner and had two techs work on my car (had a couple minor other things that needed doing: squeaky wiper arm + the things Tesla said the car needed: hood alignment, two new alignment pins in the charging port). All work was done in 2 hours and HW3 is working flawlessly so far.
2 hours might be a record!

I had my HW 3 install today. The actual hardware install took less than an hour. The firmware took forever. The only settings I lost were BT, had to re pair my phone, and Wifi. That’s it. All my trips intact, seat settings kept. I had to re hook up my Nomad wireless charger and my dash cam. New visualizations are great. Dedham service center is awesome.
Congrats! It freaked me out a bit the first time I saw a cone go by...what was that? Oh, just a cone....

Glad to hear it went well !!

Got my 3 back today. Upgrade went well and finished quicker than they said it would. All my settings were preserved. I just had to reconnect my USB devices in the center console and also had to re-pair my phone for Bluetooth. It looks like the Bluetooth module changed because it shows up as a completely new Bluetooth device on my iPhone. The old Bluetooth connection showed up as “Tesla Model 3” but the new one shows up as “Tesla Model 3 Christine” (the name of my car). Not sure if this is HW3 specific or not but definitely useful for those that have multiple Tesla cars.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: kpeng and C141medic
Mine is scheduled for tomorrow AM at Tyson’s Corner, Virginia, and I just got a text with instructions for automated drop off (no need to talk to anyone), and it said this will take 24+ hours, so they’ll be sending me Uber credits before the appointment. A little annoyed it will take more than a day, but whatever. Plan to go out and get drunk tomorrow night and Uber home!

Reactions: C141medic
Got my 3 back today. Upgrade went well and finished quicker than they said it would. All my settings were preserved. I just had to reconnect my USB devices in the center console and also had to re-pair my phone for Bluetooth. It looks like the Bluetooth module changed because it shows up as a completely new Bluetooth device on my iPhone. The old Bluetooth connection showed up as “Tesla Model 3” but the new one shows up as “Tesla Model 3 Christine” (the name of my car). Not sure if this is HW3 specific or not but definitely useful for those that have multiple Tesla cars.

Forgot to mention I needed to reconnect to my home WiFi as well. MAC address has changed so the WiFi and Bluetooth modules were definitely replaced as part of the upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Also noticed that my 3 is downloading “game updates” right now. Never seen that before.

B2063BEC-94B9-4D75-8D13-7983E40720DE.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
Lots of activity in this thread = many folks getting upgrades. I'm hoping this is a precursor to Tesla finally offering a firmware that substantively utilizes the FSD computer. My thinking is this- if they released the firmware before they got a good chunk on the retrofits done, then once they released it their SCs would get completely SLAMMED with FSD buyers very very unhappy about not having the retrofit like *NOW*!

Reactions: mtndrew1
I dropped my car off at the Lyndhurst (Cleveland) SC this morning. They said that the hardware install goes fast but the firmware update can be problematic. They'll let me know if the car is ready to pick up this afternoon. If not, I can keep the Model S loaner overnight.

(VIN 99xxx, delivered September 2018)