Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got email in my Tesla app inbox that i can make appointment for HW3 service upgrade, made an appointment for HW3 upgrade in couple of weeks. Looks like i will have to drive to Tesla service Center, not sure if mobile service will roll to my hood since i am 2-3 miles away. Excited to test this.

Haha, Telsa said no parts available, appointment cancelled, try in a month. The wait game is strong with Tesla

Haha, Telsa said no parts available, appointment cancelled, try in a month. The wait game is strong with Tesla
Same situation here. Scheduled an appointment back in early May, got confirmation and everything. Showed up on time and they said sorry we don't have the part. Had to wait a whole month to get my HW3 upgrade. I was very disappointed and pissed at their service department, because if you didn't have the HW3 computer for me, why was there 1) an appointment confirmation and 2) no communication about not having the part in stock?!

• Informative
Reactions: boriszima
That's ridiculous that they didn't let you know before your appointment. I - like many others - got rescheduled by Tesla after making an appointment for HW3 upgrade, but at least we got adequate notice.

I scheduled an appointment last week for June 18th. The following day I got a notice saying they wouldn't have parts until July 5th, and I was rescheduled for the 6th. Seems reasonable to me...but I would be a bit angry if they made me show up at the service center on the 18th only to tell me I need to reschedule.

Same situation here. Scheduled an appointment back in early May, got confirmation and everything. Showed up on time and they said sorry we don't have the part. Had to wait a whole month to get my HW3 upgrade. I was very disappointed and pissed at their service department, because if you didn't have the HW3 computer for me, why was there 1) an appointment confirmation and 2) no communication about not having the part in stock?!

Same bullshit happened to me too at the Brooklyn Service Center. Lost 2 hours of work. Not happy at all. On top of that they didn't reply to my texts or phone calls asking if everything is good on their end.

I completed my HW3 retrofit Friday at the Eden Prairie service center. Took about 4.5 hours. My request to do this with mobile service was denied. Model S loaner was provided (although locked in chill mode). Overall, I'm pretty happy with the experience. Navigate on autopilot does seem better & the additional visualizations are interesting.

The contactless drop off would have worked great if every owner over the age of 55 didn't stand by their cars waiting for someone from the service center to come talk to them.

I lost all of my profile settings, homelink, spotify, etc.

4 days after the appointment now, my app still says "Ready for Pickup." I've emailed the service center, but curious if anyone else had this small issue?

4 days after the appointment now, my app still says "Ready for Pickup." I've emailed the service center, but curious if anyone else had this small issue?

I had this issue. I think I found the solution either on this site or another Tesla site or even Reddit. You have to have the SC mark it that you have picked up your car. I called my SC and they did it for me on the phone. Took a few minutes and I think I closed the app out and restarted and it was gone.

That's ridiculous that they didn't let you know before your appointment. I - like many others - got rescheduled by Tesla after making an appointment for HW3 upgrade, but at least we got adequate notice.

I scheduled an appointment last week for June 18th. The following day I got a notice saying they wouldn't have parts until July 5th, and I was rescheduled for the 6th. Seems reasonable to me...but I would be a bit angry if they made me show up at the service center on the 18th only to tell me I need to reschedule.

FWIW, I've been rescheduled three times so far; each time my appointment gets pushed out by two weeks. I'm currently scheduled for this Friday, though I expect that will get pushed out again. To be fair, they have (so far) given me a couple of days notice each time.

What's really annoying is there is absolutely no way to talk to a human at a SC, either on the phone or in person...

SC has had my Model 3 since Monday, the only updates are that it is still "in queue". When I dropped it off they said they were delayed but that meant it would take a day instead of a few hours. I need the vehicle back for my commute and the SC is unreachable.

I scheduled an appointment for the HW 3.0 upgrade about a week ago as a mobile service via my phone app. The following day, I got notice that the appointment would have to occur in a service center and requested the location of my preference. I named the Lancaster, PA. center and immediately received an appointment for this past Tuesday at 8AM. I arrived several minutes early and was greeted by name by the service advisor who showed me to a small, bright waiting room with 4 comfortable chairs and a coffee service. I handed over my key card exactly at 8 AM and my car was moved into the garage. The advisor answered several questions and was generally friendly. Exactly two hours later, he came out and said the car was ready. I asked if it had been sanitized (I'm in a higher risk group for the virus). He said no, but immediately grabbed sanitizing equipment and fully wiped down the entire inside front cabin - both sides - of my car. I checkout the new system and found nearly all existing settings, driver profiles, etc. were transferred. I had to repair my bluetooth phone connection and later found the garage door programming had to be redone. The car re-calibrated itself in about 15 miles. The software version was the current one I had downloaded several days ago, but the navigation data was an earlier version which self corrected when I go back into my home wifi connection. All in all it was a very smooth, positive experience.

I just received an email that the parts have been ordered. I had only made the single request back in May for a June service appt. I ended up keeping the appointment and getting the other work done. So this is awesome but I'm going to hold off on booking another appointment until it says the parts are in hand. Nice to get some proactive communication from Tesla on this!

tempsnip.png

I purchased FSD back in 2018 and I'm eligible for the upgrade to HW3.0
BUT...
I'm wondering if I should just wait till HW4.0 and try to get that upgrade?
Has anyone else considered this? Not sure when that will be announced and what the improvements will be per say... but I'm definitely interested in future proofing my car. Considering FSD probably won't be ready this year anyway, I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading to stopping at stoplights and stop signs JUST YET...

What have you guys heard about this train of thought?

I purchased FSD back in 2018 and I'm eligible for the upgrade to HW3.0
BUT...
I'm wondering if I should just wait till HW4.0 and try to get that upgrade?
Has anyone else considered this? Not sure when that will be announced and what the improvements will be per say... but I'm definitely interested in future proofing my car. Considering FSD probably won't be ready this year anyway, I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading to stopping at stoplights and stop signs JUST YET...

What have you guys heard about this train of thought?

Do not wait. Get it done now. You have no idea how long it will take for HW4 to come out. There also is no guarantee that anyone with FSD and HW3 will even be upgraded for free to any other hardware version.

Reactions: camthehombre
I have a Mar 2019 M3 LR. I tried to schedule a FSD back in May at the Ownings Mills SC, but cancelled due to parts backordered (unsurprisingly). I was wondering if anyone with a 2019 purchased Tesla has had any luck getting the retrofit in the Maryland, Virginia, PA area, or should I plan to take the hour long (beautiful) drive to Lancaster?

I have a Mar 2019 M3 LR. I tried to schedule a FSD back in May at the Ownings Mills SC, but cancelled due to parts backordered (unsurprisingly). I was wondering if anyone with a 2019 purchased Tesla has had any luck getting the retrofit in the Maryland, Virginia, PA area, or should I plan to take the hour long (beautiful) drive to Lancaster?

As noted above, I had no problem getting scheduled within one week of request at the Lancaster SC. Presently, they are not super busy. In fact, I was told that they are sharing some of their staff with the Devon SC during their slack times.

FINALLY! After being rescheduled three times, I got my HW3 upgrade today at the SC in Dedham, MA.

Overall the process went very smoothly. Dropped off the car a bit before 7:45am and it was ready by 11:30am. SW & maps appear to be up to date, and no camera calibration was required; I got to enjoy the new visualizations on my short drive home.

Regarding my presets, I had to re-pair my phone's Bluetooth and re-enter my home WiFi password, which was to be expected. The only slightly strange thing was that although my radio presets were visible, I couldn't select them. So I had to re-tune to each station and set them as favorites. Very minor issue to say least. Otherwise all of my presets appear to be there, even my trip odometers.

Overall I'm very happy with the experience.