Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 in Tesla raffle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I've gotten lost in all the legal jargon. So the grand prize winner (along with the car) gets $40k to pay taxes on the car. But does the winner have to pay taxes on the $40k?

The $40k is already "grossed-up" to cover the additional taxes due by paying the taxes. (And unless you are in the 25% tax bracket you would get some of that money back when you file your taxes.)

In case everyone missed it, the Model 3 reservation is an early one that can be transferred to the winner. Two individuals donated their spot in line and with a great Tesla hookup, permission was given to transfer their spot. Basically if you are 500,000 in line you are now more like 40,000.

Come on Ticket #9

One other question please: The money that CXC raises in this raffle, what does CXC use it for? Lobbying Massachusettes policy makers? Advertising?

Is CXC's scope only within Massachusettes?

EDIT: nevermind, I found the info on the site

CXC’s net proceeds will be used to fund its charitable and educational purposes, which are focused on education and advocacy for the enactment of carbon-pricing legislation here in Massachusetts. 100% of the net will go to this purpose.

Last edited:
Very cool, I missed out on last years raffle so I was sure to buy a ticket for this one !

Can one of the math geniuses here calculate odds for the different prizes?

Buried in the Legal Details section of the site:
Odds of winning depend on the number of tickets sold. If the maximum number of tickets are sold the odds of an individual ticket winning one of the 6 Prizes will be 1:416. If the maximum number of tickets are sold the odds of an individual ticket winning the Grand Prize will be 1:2499.

The odds of winning a prize that has a Tesla vehicle component — Grand Prize, Second Prize and Third Prize — are 1:832.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Takumi and MP3Mike
Basically, two years ago, I entered a reputable raffle with a Tesla as a prize, and was stunned to realize that if I did win, I'd have to SEND them a ton of cash before I ever saw the car. It was that moment that catalyzed within me this simple thought: how the hell does an ordinary person win one of these things?!

The various aircraft groups (AOPA, EAA, possibly others) each tend to give away airplanes in yearly raffles. Sometimes, these are new (potentially $400k or more) light aircraft, but most of the time, they are ~30 year old airplanes that have been meticulously restored (still worth on the order of $100k). I can't find it right now, but there was an article that AOPA published where they went through the aircraft registry database and tracked down most of the aircraft that they had given away in the past. Only a couple were still owned by the winner of the raffle, with many being sold within a year of the prize being awarded to allow the winner to pay off the huge tax liability of winning the grand prize. While they no longer owned the airplane prize, they did pocket the cash difference between the market sale price and the tax liability on the claimed value of the airplane when it was awarded.

I'm 1:2,499 certain that I will win the Model S grand prize, so paying the tax liability wouldn't be a shock for me on the 4th of July. Since you're graciously paying the taxes already, I will need to think of something else to do with that cash that I set aside to pay my tax liability on my NEW CAR.

• Funny
Reactions: PeterK
One other question please: The money that CXC raises in this raffle, what does CXC use it for? Lobbying Massachusettes policy makers? Advertising?

Is CXC's scope only within Massachusettes?

EDIT: nevermind, I found the info on the site

CXC’s net proceeds will be used to fund its charitable and educational purposes, which are focused on education and advocacy for the enactment of carbon-pricing legislation here in Massachusetts. 100% of the net will go to this purpose.

While our mission is primarily focused on Massachusetts, recently our team is coordinating what we have named the State Carbon Pricing Network, sharing information and experience with 17 state carbon pricing campaigns: policy analysis, training, skill building, a forum to share ideas and more. See State Carbon Pricing Network - Climate XChange for more.

is this raffle legit/authentic?

I think Catherine and Al Nierenberg would tell you that their car from last year is legit and 100% authentic. The drawing was also on a live stream.

Here is the 33 page thread that is mainly about the last drawing but has some of the new info The Perfect Tesla Raffle

tesla-pickup-1.jpg