Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m getting Model 3 on Saturday and I’ve just been told my insurer that :

“...at this time AIG has binding restrictions in place for the entire state of North Carolina due to hurricane Florence. At this time we would not be able to add the vehicle to your policy with physical damage(comprehensive & collision) coverage until the restrictions have been lifted. I would hold off purchasing the vehicle until the restriction have been lifted.”

I guess I.ll need to shop around, insure my Tesla (liberty Mutual) weren’t much help - wanting double for just the Model 3 that I’m paying for a Volt and a GMC Acadia.... frustrating...

I’m getting Model 3 on Saturday and I’ve just been told my insurer that :

“...at this time AIG has binding restrictions in place for the entire state of North Carolina due to hurricane Florence. At this time we would not be able to add the vehicle to your policy with physical damage(comprehensive & collision) coverage until the restrictions have been lifted. I would hold off purchasing the vehicle until the restriction have been lifted.”

I guess I.ll need to shop around, insure my Tesla (liberty Mutual) weren’t much help - wanting double for just the Model 3 that I’m paying for a Volt and a GMC Acadia.... frustrating...
FWIW, we have progressive and are paying a little over $500 every 6 months for a 2016 Rav4 full coverage and a 99 camry. liability only with about 500k coverage. Although I do not have my 3 yet, I was quoted about an additional $325 for 6 months for the 3 with full coverage and I believe $1000 deductible. Do have homeowners with them also. We are old farts with decent driving records, though not perfect in Wake Forest. Will see once I actually insure the car which I suspect will be in early NOV, though would not complain if they brought it to my door a little sooner.

FWIW, we have progressive and are paying a little over $500 every 6 months for a 2016 Rav4 full coverage and a 99 camry. liability only with about 500k coverage. Although I do not have my 3 yet, I was quoted about an additional $325 for 6 months for the 3 with full coverage and I believe $1000 deductible. Do have homeowners with them also. We are old farts with decent driving records, though not perfect in Wake Forest. Will see once I actually insure the car which I suspect will be in early NOV, though would not complain if they brought it to my door a little sooner.

I’ve looked at progressive and gieko and they had no problem quoting me with collision included - for all insurers I’ve checked the 3 is way more expensive than my volt and Acadia, but I figured that reflected the high value....

Pretty sure that is USAA

That screenshot is still kind of meaningless. You don't know the coverage levels, the deductibles, the area they are in, etc., all of which can dramatically affect the cost to insure a vehicle.

Insuring with very low collision & liability coverage and a huge deductible and being in Topeka, KS is going to be a dramatically different rate than very low deductibles, max coverage amounts and being in Los Angeles or NYC.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Cocoa
That screenshot is still kind of meaningless. You don't know the coverage levels, the deductibles, the area they are in, etc., all of which can dramatically affect the cost to insure a vehicle.

Insuring with very low collision & liability coverage and a huge deductible and being in Topeka, KS is going to be a dramatically different rate than very high deductibles and being in Los Angeles or NYC.

I was just answering their question of who. Wasn't trying to be any more detailed than that.

Reactions: Cocoa
So before I got my VIN I asked my insurance carrier (State Farm) for a quote for a 2018 Tesla Model 3. I have multiple cars, multiple homes and an umbrella with them. The quote came back at $800/year for full coverage - not bad at all. Then, when I got my VIN and provided it to them, it went up to $1250! Over 50% increase! Has anyone else experienced this? It's still cheaper than AAA and more reliable than some internet insurers but still. A 50% increase over their week old estimate is crazy!

My data point: Called up my company (State Farm). Said I was considering replacing my current 2017 VW e-Golf SE with a real-wheel M3 ($56,500 purchase price). The agent said it wasn't 'in the system' yet but after just a little delay quoted me a $17/month increase in my current premium. I'm currently paying ~$450/month and am a 64-year-old male with a clean driving record.
I was pleasantly surprised by this quote.