Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 is beautiful!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright I'm going to pull a donald trump here. "After I study the subject more... "

After looking at more pictures, here are my thoughts on the exterior looks. This way you guys know where my dislikes of the concept is coming from. Keep in mind the tesla guy said this is pretty close to the final version so I am not sure how much they will tweak before release.
I expect from previous experience that the exterior shape will not change at all. The interior could change a lot.

Apologies for not going through whole thread. The instrument cluster, eg Speedometer is on the top left of the screen, you can see it during one of the videos. Better than the dashboard which is hard to see behind the wheel.

I'm really, really happy with the reveal. My afternoon thoughts of keeping the BMW i3 and new Prius Plug-in in the running are pretty much gone.

Random thoughts, but first disclaimers:
I am not a car guy. At all
I care very little about 'performance.'
It is a rare American who has a sense of design. Mostly they do retro, padded, black and gilded.

• The panoramic roof is brilliant in too many ways to count
  • Goodbye, grill. Don't let the door hit you on the way out
  • I love minimalist, functional design. Way to go Tesla! Now if only it was a bit warmer I would be in heaven.
  • If all else in the Tesla was ICEy and equal, it would still be a car I want to buy for the safety features.
I am blown away by the 35k USD for that car. Amazing vision and tech progress from Tesla

Last edited:
Remember this is just this a prototype mockup it will still have to have an instrument panel in front of the driver if not the driver would have to keep looking to the right and their eyes wound be leaving the driving area.
maybe they will use hologram or projection for instrument panel to make it truly sci-fi. Maybe even wearing things like Microsoft Hololens to avoid using hologram or projection.

Remember this is just this a prototype mockup it will still have to have an instrument panel in front of the driver if not the driver would have to keep looking to the right and their eyes wound be leaving the driving area.

I think there is almost zero chance of that happening. They remove the instrument panel on purpose to keep the cost down, and to allow more forward positioning of the front seats. If you listen to the video, the single screen design is a "feature" of the Model 3.

As for HUD, the dashboard on the prototypes are not provisioned for that. So I would not keep the hope high.
Since there is no HUD for Model S or Model X, they cannot reuse parts, so I am doubtful that they would implement for Model 3.

Reactions: SageBrush
Is this matt one of stage different to the two gloss painted models? Looks at the door handles....

View attachment 169947

Yes it has different looking door handles than the other M3's (with hockey stick handles). Noticed in one of the videos that they work by pressing on one end with thumb to flip out the handle then pull to open. With the 'hockey stick' handles of the other M3's would they have reversed handles to accommodate right hand pulls?

World changing!! The interior is straight out of a spaceship!!

I wonder why.....
elon-musk-in-the-dragon-v2.jpg

;)

The instrument cluster, eg Speedometer is on the top left of the screen, you can see it during one of the videos. Better than the dashboard which is hard to see behind the wheel.

While I'm reserving judgement on whether it's better or not until I get to see it in the flesh, the dashboard on my X is not hard to see behind the steering wheel. In fact, I carefully adjusted the steering wheel so that I had a perfect view to the instrument cluster behind it.

That said, I still make HUGE use of my center screen for most things. So while i'd prefer to have the instrument cluster, I suspect that I'd learn to live without it if I had to.

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't help but to visualize the BMW X4 whenever I look at the profile of the Model3.

The BMW has the abrupt stop at the back. Its a hatchback/trunk short nose vehicle just like the Model 3.

Does anyone have the ability to just put up the profile of a Model 3 and the BMWX4?

Or even the BMW X6 for that matter.

I have a hard time believing there's no instrument cluster...unless it's going to have a HUD. That would be amazing.

I'm not sold on the rear at all. Reminds me of the old BMW 318ti. It just feels lopped off. I'm not going to cancel my reservation just yet. A lot can change between now and the final production version.

I'll bet that there is a HUD becuase Elon did say he wanted to save some things for later. I hope LOL

Reactions: cdub
I am seriously underwhelmed by this design.

It looks like the Model S...an already excruciatingly outdated looking car IMO...that's been thrown into a dryer and shrunk.

EV's need more flair and style...this thing looks just too blah and bland.

I know everyone is wetting their panties about this car and while I'm sure the tech and price points are fantastic, the exterior design...to me...is such a big let down. Perhaps it'll look better in real life but as it is from the images, it's just nothing special at all.

Look at the Nissan Sway concept to get an idea of how a future EV replacement should and could be....(i.e for the Leaf of course).

The Model 3 just looks so pedestrian and ordinary.

I do believe the Model ☰ is beautiful. I love the Panoramic Windshield front & rear. It looks best from the side, 3/4 rear, and rear. I had expected it to be a bit more cab forward in design, though... I find it disappointing that it is a Notchback, though access through the Trunk seems fine. There seems to be fitted luggage in the Frunk.

I will continue to await the arrival of a Coupe. Hopefully that will have both Falcon Wing Doors, and a Liftback. Oh, and a front end from Ferrari instead of Porsche.

Reactions: JeffreyR

In my Model X, I set it so I hear a tone whenever I exceed 10 miles over the speed limit, which happens a lot with a P90D! The setting is variable. I never glance at the speedometer driving on the freeway, only the hi-definition rear-view camera display, and the Google-based navigation display if driving in an unfamiliar area. I have both split-screened on the center touchscreen, with the rear-view camera on top. I do that since with a 7-seat Model X you can't see much out the rear view mirror. The camera view is far superior in any event once you get used to it.

The Model ☰ will be able to drive itself on the freeway just like its big brothers the S and X if you order the anticipated "Autopilot Convenience Features" option, which costs $2,500 on the X and hopefully will be less on Model ☰ since the engineering has already been paid for. You just set the maximum speed and the car does the rest!

Note the distinction that only the "Autopilot Safety Features" are included in the base Model ☰, from what I understand.

PS. The Model X "Big Sky" all glass panoramic roof for the front passengers tint is dark enough even under bright California sun, IMHO. I expect the same for Model ☰, which will bring this driving experience to the back seat passengers, as well. Just be sure you have no or a very low deductible on your glass coverage and don't follow large dirt trucks too closely!

Last edited:
As a Mini driver, I can tell you that not having the speedo in front of you, where it belongs, is really annoying.

I am a Mini owner too and I fully agree with you. I never look at the speedometer in the center console; it takes your attention from the road The best location is in front of the driver, behind the steering wheel.. I have to think that the final version of the Model 3 will have an instrument cluster in front of the driver.