Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Is pin to drive not available yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I am out of town and cannot test right now, one could run a test by putting the phone in airplane mode after putting it in gear, and driving slowly and see what happens. Does the model 3 stop driving? It would simulate driving out of range of a relay device attack to steal the car.

While I am out of town and cannot test right now, one could run a test by putting the phone in airplane mode after putting it in gear, and driving slowly and see what happens. Does the model 3 stop driving? It would simulate driving out of range of a relay device attack to steal the car.

The car does not require the key/phone to be present after it has been started. If you get out and try to restart without the key/phone present, it will prompt you to present the key card.

If the fobs had accelerometers they could power down the BT radio when the fob doesn't detect motion or a button press. That would probably be the "easiest" method of preventing signal amplification with passive entry enabled.

I like the idea, but it appears Tesla decided to play it safe - M3 FOBs do not have passive entry according to many of the sites announcing them.

If the fobs had accelerometers they could power down the BT radio when the fob doesn't detect motion or a button press. That would probably be the "easiest" method of preventing signal amplification with passive entry enabled.

Probably a good idea, an accelerometer in the fob is made to add something to the button press signal, so without it, it will not work.